ad: wmr-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can dial in any frequency you'd like. 6m has a frequency defined and has quite a bit of activity.

I probably won't pick one for LF/MF since they are pretty niche. VHF/UHF are fairly local and probably best scheduled by local ops.

2. N1AAE

N1AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

A Redditor said something witty that'd make a good official slogan of FT8Call

"Less bots, more OPs"

I like it.

ON3CQ, K8XG and KN4CRD like this.
  3. N1AAE

What's this APRS functionality?

I accidentally just wiped my chat log instead of copying it... Woops.

But the command is:
    AP:[YOURCALL]:[YOURGRID]:RS
    I see I was heard on https://aprs.fi/info/a/N1AAE

Neat.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I put up some messages for Asian ops to pass along in Indonesia, Japan, and Korea. Interestingly, it seems few people around Asia know about the mode. That will change very quickly. I linked to here, to offer input.

Although, I don't think you'll get as many users from Asia yet, as it requires a pretty good command of English to figure out how to download -- as it is, for now.

KN4CRD and N1AAE like this.
  5. KN4CRD

That's an experiment by another op, parsing FT8Call logs and, forwarding those strings into APRS. Version 0.5 will likely include APRS position reporting built-in.

N1AAE likes this.
  6. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

My initial foray was unimpressive. Copied a few QSOs but not nearly as many as FT8. And the content, well let's say it was about as interesting as "what's the weather on your end?" I won't make snap judgements and will continue to listen and maybe even call CQ to see what happens.

7. N1AAE

How much time did it take you to log a QSO on this pre-release build of a new mode?

Now compare that to how long it will take you to find activity of any similar digital mode that allows ragchewing.

That comparison alone is really why I like FT8Call. If other, "similar" and actually fully developed modes had consistent usage I'd likely be interested in those. I think the fact that this pre-release is barely known about on a wide scale and you can get a response to a CQ on first or second try is pretty telling. I've never had that luck on any other mode other than FT8 itself but that's not for ragchewing.

8. KN4CRD

Thanks for trying out! This makes sense, since FT8Call is still in development and isn't actually available for general release. I think there's something like two orders of magnitude more people running FT8. No worries though, it's not for everybody.

I will say, though...the first time you snag a DX ragchew with -20dB SNR and proceed to have an actual conversation...that is pretty exciting. Call CQ, you might be surprised :D

Cheers!

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

9. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 does. 3.580, 7.070 or 14.070 are all popular hangouts. You should be able to find someone on one of the 3

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    K8XG, N1AAE and KN4CRD like this.
  10. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jordan,
    worked with FT8Call and made first QSO. According to your announcement it will run with WINDOWS 10, happy to report that it is running also with WINDOWS 7

KF7VUT and K3XR like this.
  11. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jordan,
    you did a good job. Here my considerations about the frequencies found in the docs (knowing that the frequencies are under development). My point of view is my location in Germany and i am not sure how the frequency situation is in America and Asia.
    1838 kHz: prefer your alternate frequency 1842 kHz because 1838 kHz is used for JT65
    3580 kHz: good
    7080 kHz: good
    10130 kHz: good, also used for T10 (former JT10) but low traffic
    14080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but there is low traffic
    18104 kHz: prefer your alternate frequency 18104,5 kHz, because 18104 kHz is used for JT9
    21080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but low traffic
    24920 kHz: good
    28080 kHz: good, also used for T10 but low traffic
    50300 kHz: good, also used for T10

Hermann, DL6BCX

ON3CQ and KN4CRD like this.
  12. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see that this could be useful since it allows for transfer of more information than just call signal and signal strength.

If it's rag chew or emergency communication transfer of messages or something else doesn't really matter.

DL6BCX likes this.
  13. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently not long for some, my FT8CALL QSOs are recorded as such
    in my QRZ log but they don't show up at all when uploaded to LoTW.

14. N2IPH/SK2022

can also manually sync (if you have internet access) using time.is
    https://time.is/

15. N2IPH/SK2022

Who? Apparently 120 more than use RTTY.

PSK31 432
    PSK63 279
    JT65 234
    RTTY 159
    SIM31 92