ad: MyersEng-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Until FT8CALL is in general release and/or the ADIF Committee has formally included FT8CALL in the ADIF mode definitions, I guess it isn't particularly meaningful for ARRL/LoTW to spend much time on preparing anything. ADIF is at the core of TQSL and LoTW.

FT8 came in general release mid-July last year. ADIF had it defined by mid-August, I think, while LoTW took about another week to accept uploads. I believe something similar could be expected with FT8CALL, as it is neither released or defined yet. In the meanwhile, just define/configure a new mode in your logging software (if possible in the software), log the FT8CALL QSOs with the correct mode, and wait for LoTW to get ready. No point in uploading something that will have an incorrect or unknown mode.

73 Frode LA6VQ

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm, and the AI behind the Dynamic Band Plan Skimmer could auto detect conflicts and on an internet back-channel send an IM to the offender screaming "UP! UP! UP!" :D

Then the AI running the other station would reply with the extended middle finger salute o_O ;)

It's good to have and know how to properly operate with VFO's :).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there is a problem with the bandplan as it is now...as long as the few areas are respected, there is a lot of free space. A lot of the digital modes DO share space. It's VERY common to be using PSK31 and see Olivia or RTTY on the waterfall. It's also a quick way to get an Olivia or RTTY contact, because a lot of PSK31 users, if not in a QSO, will happily change modes to talk to you.

The problem comes when you and a few hundred of your closest friends decide you want to be on the frequency as well. You know, I think my ICOM 7300 is great. It's modern. It's easy to use... has a great ear. I love it. But, I don't go around smashing people's Drake and Collins rigs. I love what I use. They love what they use. We all do our own thing.

The problem is that some seem to think "Your stuff is old. We think our stuff is better and there's enough of us to take your space away from you". Well, that's not what ham radio is about. As soon as you start crap like that, you just wait til the new kid on the block forces you and what you enjoy out. FT8 is new now...but something newer will come along. I think the developer, in this case, wants to make sure all hams can enjoy the bands. I don't know why he put in the PSK31 and RTTY frequencies....whether he knew what they were or what.... but it doesn't seem like he's trying to be malicious. It seems he's willing to move things and share.

I was rambling....sorry. The problem isn't the old modes can't share. They share with each other quite often. The problem is that FT8 can't share because of the sheer number of people using it. There's not room for anyone else in whatever default frequencies they choose. They have to take that swath of frequency for their own because no one else will fit on it. So, they need their set frequencies that don't clash with other modes' set frequencies.

As far as a dynamic band plan, that requires internet access. I know FT8ers who use BKTimeSync and GPS to set their clocks. If you have a QSO and don't get eqsl or lotw credit for six months....there's a good chance that person has sporadic or periodic internet access. Remember, amateur radio has a lot of appeal to people in that "last mile" who don't have fibre optic cables to their house, etc.

So, for something like FT8CALL, you need set frequencies or at least a default starting point for everyone. You have to pick a spot, then google search and see if it's interfering with any nets or other modes... If not, you plug that in for the default and try to keep things separate so everyone can enjoy their hobby the way they wish. It isn't a part of the hobby to take someone else's hobby away from them. Everyone finds their niche and we make room for everyone.

K8XG likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Russians use it like crazy. I often respond to them. (HL1ZIX)

K8XG and NO2Y like this.
  5. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I'll look for it then

6. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a set of potential new frequencies that _seem_ to work a little better. Closer to JT9, but still leaving enough padding for 25 JT9 parallel signals at a time. Curious what y'all think here:
    Code:
    160m:  1.842 500 // 2.5 kHz above FT8
     80m:  3.578 500 // 5.5 kHz above FT8
     40m:  7.078 500 // 4.5 kHz above FT8
     30m: 10.130 500 // 5.5 kHz below FT8
     20m: 14.078 500 // 4.5 kHz above FT8
     17m: 18.104 500 // 4.5 kHz above FT8
     15m: 21.078 500 // 4.5 kHz above FT8
     12m: 24.922 500 // 9.5 kHz above FT8
     10m: 28.078 500 // 4.5 kHz above FT8
      6m: 50.318 500 // 5.5 kHz above FT8

If you have any issues with one of these, know of any nets or observed calling frequencies here, please feel free to call it out. But, if you do, I'd really appreciate if you provide an alternate that could be used instead.

Cheers!

EA4BPN likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

It's not as robust as PSK31 is. It's faster, and seems to work best under 4,000 miles. Sometimes can work further with it.

NO2Y likes this.
  8. KE0EYJ

The main issue I know of is going to be on the Asian side around JA. Lots of SSB going on around 7.078.5, and the ops there are pretty stubborn about talking right over the top of any digital signals that present themselves there. I hear FT8 there right now, and JA's using SSB up on 7082ish.

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, that's a shared segment between CW/NB DIGI/PHONE. Could add a Region 3 drop down to 7.0385

10. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jordan, Great you are trying to adjust the set frequency for all the various bands...I am afraid though you might not make all happy...

I will tell you there was a TX carrier right on top of the FT8CALL carriers (Using RTTY)..Although the band was completely wide open above 14.080...

Cheers!

NN2X Tom

11. KE0EYJ

I'll see if I can find some JA friends who speak English who can offer some input.

KN4CRD likes this.
  12. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

80m: 3.578 500 // 5.5 kHz above FT8

If you do that, won't they still end up on 3.580 - the PSK31 frequency? I'm not sure how much spread you're talking about. It would probably be better to put it at 3.578. That still puts it far enough away from FT8 and gives some room for the spread.

Everything else looks good to me

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  13. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

It's already the JT9 frequency +500 hz

14. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because, if it's not a contest, you'll find RTTY calling CQ there because it's where people look for RTTY. If he goes further up the band, people may not hear him because they're looking on 14.080

15. W4BPT

W4BPT Ham Member QRZ Page

will it do 6m,2,440,