ad: wmr-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone guide me as to why my station sends 2 frames on Beacon instead of one? I looked in all the menu and I must be missing a few tress again ;)

18:01:26 - (1201) - K8XG: BEACON EN81 K8XG: BEACON EN81

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just got the program set up and noticed the exact same thing too. Hhhmmmm . . .

3. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not impossible. Just difficult.

This is intentional. Beacons are randomly offset by +/- 15 seconds from the scheduled duration and are 30 seconds long so there's more of a chance for two stations to hear each other when they start beaconing at the same time.

4. KN4CRD

I tried this before: http://vtenn.com/Blog/?p=1319

You can be surprisingly accurate this way. I might build something like this into the app one day.

W0PV, WD4IGX and K8XG like this.
  5. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4RCD How about modifying the app so it's not using the PSK31 and RTTY frequencies by default?

NN4RH and KC8DE like this.
  6. KC8DE

KC8DE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ideally, we'd see an all in one solution suitable for packing (semi)-light given this is an obvious QRP mode. Nobody is going to be packing a radio, a laptop, a mouse, etc... However, a "tap to sync" with WWV feature would probably work, assuming it continues to exist.

I still have an uneasy feeling about any mode that requires infrastructure to function. Aside adding failure points, it's more crap to lug around. Unless this mode is purely envisioned for the Ham who only operates from home, has mains power, a dedicated computer and Internet.

If there's a Carrington flare, there probably won't be working infrastructure to support the GPS sats, let alone recievers. Additionally, you're not going to have many PCs left to run FT8, let alone modern DSP transcievers.

7. KN4CRD

The frequencies in the app only suggestions and are well within the IARU digital allocations. The app does not limit your frequency to those defined in the settings, so any op can use the VFO and QSY to a free slice of the band, just as you would in Fldigi or similar. It's ultimately up to the operator to be a good citizen on the bands and not cause unnecessary QRM within our shared spectrum.

If you have suggested alternate frequencies, I'd happily accept your recommendations!

G3NYY likes this.
  8. KN4CRD

Check out OH8STN. He's out in Lapland Finland today, portable at 66 degrees north, away from mains power and infrastructure. He's operating FT8Call.

It can work :)

LB9YH and K8XG like this.
  9. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Any frequencies except these: http://www.qsl.net/sv1grb/psk31.htm

Those are the frequencies where everyone who uses PSK31 and RTTY go to call CQ or listen for someone calling CQ. There is a lot of bandwidth there outside of these frequencies that you could suggest and peaceably coexist with the other digital modes.

You may be within IARU specs, but setting up on these frequencies is like refusing to move for a net. It doesn't hurt for you to move and that portion has been set aside by gentlemen's agreement. People will be looking for it there

10. KC8DE

I guarantee he didn't carry that gear on a backpack trek. You missed that.

Also, please change the default frequencies. You very well know the defaults you set will become the de facto operating frequencies because the mode isn't terribly useful without an agreed frequency. There's absolutely no reason to leave them top of existing agreed frequencies / meeting points. You obviously know you've set them to existing agreed frequencies - there's zero defensible reason for maintaining your stance.

NO2Y likes this.
  11. KC8DE

If you disagree the frequencies you set will become the de facto standard, just look that the PSK reporter and count how many users *didn't* use what you set. Can you find any?

You've created an Amateur Radio botnet that will Denial Of Service existing users of those frequencies.

NO2Y likes this.
  12. KN4CRD

Please feel free to offer suggested alternate frequencies. I'd be happy to change them :)

13. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, anything but these:

http://www.qsl.net/sv1grb/psk31.htm

Choose anything else.

KC8DE likes this.
  14. KN4CRD

He hiked something like 30km. I think its fair to say he did.

Selection_089.png

15. KC8DE

That's pretty interesting. I wonder what he's using for the computing? I've done PSK31 with a cheesy X1M, tablet and compact bluetooth keyboard before; I didn't consider that backpackable.