ad: portazero-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool. I'm definitely interested in giving 630m a try sometime :) You might have inspired my next project...

LB9YH likes this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

With Xp - So far, so good. Installed okay. Initial pgm operation okay. Waterfall was running okay.

Next, will plug the SignalLink into the 706MKII and give it a live, on-air try ...

KN4CRD likes this.
  3. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jordan for the advancement of Amateur radio, I am looking forward to trying it out best of 73's

Ed
    N7XCZ

KN4CRD likes this.
  4. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait, what? I like RTTY, and typically do maybe 4 of the larger contests each year to add a bundle into the log book, but in between those few days a year,
    show me a trace of a signal on the RTTY sub-band? I'm still listening?? Hello? So I don't understand the sound of your distress that during the downtimes
    when you guys are not using the RTTY segment (like 75% to 85% of the days in a year), that no one else should make use of that space for actual QSO activity?

The key to more new people joining this hobby is to actually have activity, not spend weeks staring at dark blue pan-adapters with nothing.
    [And FT8CALL can apparently accomplish those QSOs barefoot, at times in the solar minimum, to the same destination, where RTTY requires
    full legal+ (wink wink) to punch through.]

So if these clever guys found, or find, a mode that will get people engaged and using the bands more, ALL FOR IT, 101%. This idea of "RESERVING" a chunk
    of the severely limited precious bandwidth we have, and then not using it, but for "special occasions", is more than a little lame. Sharing the segments to
    encourage utilization, but also still encouraging respect and not stomping on top of a RTTY signal, is the right way forward. Yes, yes, I do get it, at least
    half of the people NEVER read the instructions, and don't respect the rules, not out of bully or mean-ness, but just plain careless stupidity. We're human.
    But back on topic; Still, we need to share the band segments and we need to have lots of activity. That is the way to keep it all interesting and alive.

Just another personal opinion, maybe useful, and maybe not.

Neal

KG5WR, WA6GXQ, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8Call working on RX using Windows Xp, but have an issue on TX and COM5 not keying the DTR line using FT8Call, although WSPRX can key the DTR line okay. Will order a proper Signalink cable and use the Signalink VOX instead the week after next owing to commitments next week.

NN2X is blowing my socks off over here on 40m ATTM, owing to the fact he's only a few blocks away from me ...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    KN4CRD likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. Not interested in joining a mailing group, or being spammed/pimped for money later.

7. ON3CQ

ON3CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Installed on the computer today and the first test are very promising.

KN4CRD likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE STOP SHOUTING!

From what I hear there's plenty of room for phone and c.w. and often a distressing dearth of signals as it is, and the digital modes are voluntarily confined to relatively tiny slivers.

There's room for everyone now.

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW!

This may just get me to finally hook up the laptop I bought for the ham station but haven't even used aside from setting up a few common (non ham) apps.

Wasn't a huge hurry before because the way regular FT8 works doesn't really appeal to me that much, and the other modes aren't that popular though I was wanting to get everything going for them but this...yeah, I don't mind running at 12 wpm. Many of my old CW QSOs were that or just a bit faster, maybe 15-18. Everyone didn't blaze away at 20+ back in those days.

KN4CRD and AA5CT like this.
  10. KN4CRD

The are no plans to try to make money from this. I've done my fair share of software businesses and this has no intention of being one of them.

The groups.io requirement is because this is a pre-release for development testing. Feel free to wait to check it out once a general release is available.

LB9YH likes this.
  11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Will surely be doing that...

And kind of hoping to see someone package this into a 5w handheld!

LB9YH and KN4CRD like this.
  12. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just made QSO to England on 20m on the first try - this is going to be huge for Ten-Ten International on 10 meters.

Thank you very much!

KN4CRD likes this.
  13. KN4CRD

Great to hear! Curious...What is your rig setup / antenna / power?

14. KD2NOM

FT-450D, Hustler 6BTV, ~75 watts radiated

KN4CRD likes this.
  15. KD2NOM

Wondering if this can be integrated with JTAlert so my logging is automated.

N2IPH/SK2022 likes this.