ad: ProAudio-1

Which repeaters should I put into my hand held radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jul 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why bother with repeaters
    most times if you are new to an area or they dont know you , you are avoided
    you can throw out your call, and 2 minutes later bob calls joe, they chat, you listen
    you call 1 of them and they never respond
    let alone the fact that most repeaters are just DEAD
    get into dmr and take your brandmeister hotspot with you and you will have all your favorite talkgroups as you travel
    this is the best option

G3SEA, VK6APZ/SK2022 and NU4R like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the HT one purchases is an HT you CAN NOT program without "CHIRP"...we all know which HT's they are... that's your own darn fault for not wanting to spend more than $25.00 for an HT. On the other hand, if you find the INABILITY to program an HT "on-the-fly" simply because you were too darn dependent on doing anything and everything with a computer, that OM is a fault even larger than decision to purchase a $25.00 HT.

If you can't program an HT on-the-fly you might just as well take up golf...or fishing. This fat-bellied hobby is not for you.

KD5RJZ likes this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

UNFORTUNATELY...you are 100% correct Mike! And, I've LITERALLY had better luck in a newly traveled area with a CB on channel 19 getting someone to yak with. All I have to say is "Breaker 19, anyone around?" That's all it takes! But, on an in-range repeater...I'll refer back to your own comment every time!

It's a trend that MUST change...and we all know why!

73 Mike and have a great week! NU4R

G3SEA, AA1PR and KD8DWO like this.
  4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to be a downer, but I have answered some hams passing thru the area, and they say something like, you are the first person to answer since I left NJ, Tennessee, etc. etc. And even at that, I hardly ever monitor anymore. So the fact that the ARRL is working on HF for techs might be of some help there, at least of retention of the more interested new ops. As I cannot fathom getting a license, then paying for some VHF radio, and listen to nothing all the time, and staying in the hobby. I too suspect those that just want to yack may switch back over to CB radio and t0ss the HT in a drawer for emergencies that never seem to happen. I turn on the HF rig more than the 2M for quite some time now. I have not tried the digital voice modes. As since I cannot listen in before dropping a wad on a capable radio, there is no incentive there. That used to be an incentive to get into ham or upgrade, you could eavesdrop on the guys talking that you could not talk to.

KG5EWK, AA1PR and KD8DWO like this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If in Southern California, I have found sixty or so repeater systems that welcome hams of all
    expertise: whether a newbie or a seasoned old-timer (grin).

That list is posted on the DOCS page at http://www.k6lcs.com

Clint Bradford
    909-999-SATS

G3SEA likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, the grumpy Debbie Downers just love to rain on everyone.

Well -

Along the Front Range the repeaters I know of are friendly and, though certainly not as busy as before cell phones, there is often someone listening, especially on the big linked repeater systems going across the state. Even 146.52 usually gets a response - in fact it might be me as I monitor when I'm in the shack.

7. PE1CHL

PE1CHL Ham Member QRZ Page

That happens, although when it happens on the repeater here I think it usually is because the
    visitor calls in his own language and not everyone is able or willing to respond in that language.
    Over the past few years the repeater has been very busy, often transmitting at least 18-20 hrs/day,
    and it used to be difficult to place a call as there were always people chatting. Fortunately it is
    tapering off a bit, so non-regulars get a chance as well.

AA1PR likes this.
  8. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

A Baufang radio is fine, for what it is! That being a great entry radio into the hobby of amateur radio! As such scolding someone for not learning how to progam one of those radios manually is just plain silly! They are incredably hard to program correctly! So it isn't worth the trouble!!! just get a cable and Chirp, and go for it! :) In fact the latest version of Chirp even allows you to download repeaters from various online web pages, then incorporate that list into the channels on the radio!

Also people on the air are not that different from people any where. It might take some time for people to get to know you! So checking into local Nets is a good thing! For lots of reasons!

Just remember that if it is a Baufang, you have to scream into the damn thing!!! :)

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

As much as some hate it, put the echolink app on your phone before you leave hone. Great way to communicate when the local repeater is dead.

G3SEA likes this.
  10. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I know which HT you're talking about and I have no difficulty manually programming mine. Just sayin'.

11. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why even bother with the hotspot, just bring a cell phone with echolink.

...or just bring a cellphone?

G3SEA likes this.
  12. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No question, Repeater Book.
    Best APP I've found.

13. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

or your cell with zoiper/iaxrpt for allstar access too

G3SEA likes this.
  14. KD5RJZ

KD5RJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be inclined to agree. I travel a lot and have great luck with repeaterbook. The app is much nicer than the ARRL app

It's amazing how much busier the repeaters are when you get to areas with sketchy cell phone service.

15. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, this option also guarantees that you will not be able to program your radio unless you DO bring your computer. Most of the DMR rigs do not have access to the VFO.

I prefer my TH-F6 and a RepeaterBook list. Patience and a willingness to talk as well as listen, and the flexibility to add new repeaters that might not be in RepeaterBook yet.

But what the hey, just because I do it that way doesn't mean everybody has to.

AA1PR likes this.