ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 121 - Live from Baker Island!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday (6/28) at 9 pm Eastern time on Ham Talk Live!, Marty Sullaway, KC1CWF along with the KH1/KH7Z Baker Island DXpedition operating team will join us and take your calls! The team is scheduled to be on the island by satellite phone during the show! (team appearance is subject to satellite phones working) As long as everything works, we will take YOUR calls for the team live on the job on Baker Island!

The team has arrived, and is making landings as this post is written.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time (0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the call-in segment of the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

Baker Island team.jpg Logo_D3.1-160.png IMG_4631e.jpg

AC7DD, N2LAM, K6JO and 5 others like this.
  2. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're living the dream, Marty!

3. ZS4RC

ZS4RC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so sad to yet again miss another good opportunity to work an island that is not on the air regularly, due to bad propagation from South Africa. 4 years ago I could work any station in the world with just my 200 watt barefoot with 3 element yagi, today it is difficult to even hear Europe at some stages. Ham radio is not what it used to be with the bad conditions that we are experiencing on this part of the world and a lot of good contact and station as well as dxpeditions are missed because of that, was looking forward in working Baker island but conditions is just not favourable :(

Good luck guys and hope you make a lot of contacts

Best 73

4. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL? THAT'S HOW IT IS, SOOO WE GOTTA LIVE WITH IT!!! Yesterday we'd worked KB1/KH7X, first call mind u, but obviously for us "LEFT-COASTERS (CA.USA) working into AFRICA/MIDDLE-EAST or even EUROPA IT'S NOT AN EASY TASK BUT WE "PERSEVERE" !!!

6. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Friend, I feel your pain! I was finally able to work KH7Z on 20m FT-8, but it took hours of sitting at the rig and computer, watching the waterfall. SSB was unusable - once, 0n 20m, I could barely hear Baker, but the signal never came out of the noise. Since that time, I have not heard KH7Z on any band when I have been listening, and propagation predictions have proved to be somewhat "optimistic". However - as NN6E says, for us on the west coast of the USA, Europe has been very difficult to reach, and often when I see European stations on FT-8, showing strong signal strength, they never reply back to me, so obviously I'm apparently not getting my 50w signal out. But, we just have to keep trying, as that is the epitome of the amateur radio spirit - "When all else fails, amateur radio..." I also have found that propagation "windows" will open up for a few minutes, so spending time in front of the rig seems to be the ticket. Patience and persistence have been the best tools for me. Keep trying!
    Dave, KJ7WT

7. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, I have only heard a couple of African stations on FT-8, but they never come back to me within the short propagation window that opens up. I keep trying, though!

8. KY5G

KY5G Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use the down side of the solar cycle to build your station up.... better antennas, better amps and equipment, taller towers, and learn to be a better op/researcher..... By the time we pass through Solar "spring", you'll be dominant on the scene....

K1EMS, N9MB and N9ZYL like this.
  9. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I was finally able to work Baker Island on 20M CW at 00:18Z, 4 July -- only after the LIDs finally quieted down.

10. ZS4RC

ZS4RC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could make some upgrades to my station but you guys do not understand how expensive things are in a country that is falling apart, where our currency cannot even compare to the rest of the world and that we fall under junk status to the rest of the world, we almost pay $3 for a litre of petrol in this country. So yes I must work with what I have but I believe things will get better on the long run

11. AF2DX

AF2DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The bands may not be the best but three nights ago i did work VK ham and two nights ago i worked out to the West coast with 30 watts using the CHAMELEON E-COMM-3,with a 71 foot wire.
    The DNR on the FT 891 helps remove a lot of QRM.
    GL Dxing
    BOB AF2DX

12. K7XC/SK2022

K7XC/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

With these minimal conditions each region of the world has certain geographic areas they can work fairly easily and others that are almost impossible. It is a fact of life that it is unfair and often cruel... Something you learn to accept and move on while continuing to do your best. That being said... the KEY to enjoying Amateur Radio is to concentrate your efforts on your Antennas FIRST and radios much further down the line. In my case I have a wide spaced 3 element 20M Monoband yagi at 43 feet. Below it at 39 feet is a 80M/40M fan inverted vee all mounted atop a AB-577 Heavy Duty mast. All 3 of these antennas perform well which improves my chances to work the rare ones under these conditions. There are other antennas on the property that are the best I can do with what I have. This allows me to chase DX on 160M thru 432MHz. I realize not everyone has been a ham for 40 years, having accumulated many antennas / masts / towers, etc... Never having much money, I started in Ham radio with a couple of 100 lb boat anchors that barely delivered 40 Watts out on CW. My first antenna was a Gotham V-5 vertical mounted on the chain link fence that surrounded the families 1/3 acre lot. I didn't work muck DX back then and over time developed my skills, antennas, and radios to the point I began working my up the DXCC ladder. It took patience, practice, and learning to pay attention to whats going on around you. Often in the local community there are opportunities to acquire free gear/antennas just for picking them up. Many generous friends have over the years done so which is the only reason that the station is what it is today. My point is "You Do The Best You Can With What You Got" while keeping an eye out for opportunities to improve your station when they reveal themselves. Over time you will prevail if you just keep at it as nothing improves your skills more than operating from a small station. I hope this perspective helps. 73s & Best of luck !