ad: CQMM-1

Geochron Digital 4k UHD review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the ultimate jewelry for your dream ham shack! The Geochron Digital 4k UHD gives viewers beautiful displays of the Earth with the sunrise-sunset rendered in real-time through a small computer that plugs directly in to your TV via HDMI. The size of your display is only limited by the size of your TV, as you take in the terrestrial movement of the Earth’s orbit in sync with the Sun.

The Geochron Digital 4k UHD displays a full-featured Geochron World Clock on any 4k TV, with every mapset and lighting option available in the famous mechanical clock but at a fraction of the cost. Now in the digital format, users customize markers on the map, and recieve (with internet) real time updates.

73 Pascal VA2PV

Geochron_4k_EN_Thumb.jpg

W4ABC, N1VAU, AJ4EM and 3 others like this.
  2. W1RDT

W1RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

$399

3. NB2A

NB2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have to be a 4K TV or does any other type of monitor work?

73 de NB2A
    Tom

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

We have it on our 7 year old 55in TV in the family room which I doubt is 4K from its age and it works great. Better than looking at that black screen sitting there collecting dust.

W1YW and NB2A like this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, and cheaper than the real thing. Don't have time to watch video at work -- does it need an internet connection to get the time, or does it use GPS?

6. K7LTF

K7LTF Ham Member QRZ Page

is the thing your using as a demo on the TV, a sat tracker. or a new gen of geoclock of sorts?

7. KF5FEI

From what I understand, this is a virtual GeoChron clock -- versus the mechanical one of yore.

8. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

does it include satellite tracker?

9. WU6P

WU6P Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are on WSJT-X, you can also try GridTracker from N0TLL, free and have more features.

10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The device is a small computer box that is about 6 inches square or there abouts. It has wireless capabilities to link with WiFi (2.4 ghz only) or hardwired. You can select from about 6 different Earth displays, including one that shows all the amateur radio international calls, etc. It will work on standard display but that does not reveal near the detail and the wording is unreadable in some places. The prices DOES NOT include the display. You need to provide that.

I picked one up at Dayton this year and it's pretty cool and a fraction of the price (even with buying a new monitor - I got a 4K 43 inch for $299 at Best Buy) of the original wall-mounted Geochron clock.

..............Bob

WB5PDZ and NL7W like this.
  11. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got my 4K UHD TV and a wall mount. Just need to order the Geochron Digital and I will be in business. A long-time ham shack dream fulfilled at a fraction of the cost of the mechanical Geochron. Yes, it will work on any HD TV but resolution won't be nearly as sharp as the UHD TV. It uses WiFi for the time, as well as it tracks the ISS, has a map with all the ham radio call sign prefixes, now shows major shipping and airline routes, nighttime city lights and more. Man, once this beauty is installed, I will have to clean up my messy shack because this thing will just beg for visitors. My wife thinks I'm nutty but I told her the Geochron Digital will be so gorgeous that she'll want one for the living room too. (Major eye roll.)

12. KF5FEI

We used to go to a bar that had a GeoChron on the wall, and we would all watch it to see if the day / night overlay moved.

13. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A local restaurant used to have a Geochron on the wall. After eating, I'd always go over and admire the thing of beauty on the wall. And hope Santa would bring me one someday.

W5TXR likes this.
  14. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Google turned up nothing on GridTracker & N0TLL. Can you share more info please?

ah, hang on....
    The call in your post was transposed, it should be N0TTL, not TLL.
    Found it. It is not the same thing as GeoChron, but interesting. For other people,
    here is the info;
    ====================
    GridTracker is software that works in conjunction with WSJT-X. Grid Tracker takes information
    WSJT-X is providing and puts it on a real time map with grid squares. You can easily see contacts being made right in front of your eyes!
    This software is completely free and was created by amateur radio operator, Stephen - NØTTL.

Benefits: Easily manage your contacts through real time mapping Visually see contacts in each grid square being made throughout the world in real time Load your ADIF log files from WSJT-X, Qrz.com, LoTW, PSKReporter Feature rich, easy to use GridTracker is a companion program for WSJT-X. It listens to WSJT-X or JTDX decodes and displays them on a map for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Display on a large second monitor in your amateur radio club, hamfest or as a demonstration in a classroom. Everyone gets excited when they can see what you’re doing!

You can also load your ADIF log files from WSJT-X, Qrz.com, LoTW, PSKReporter and others to get a visual view of ‘stations worked’, stations that can hear you and more!
    Download info for GridTracker: https://tagloomis.com/downloads/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    AB8CL and WU6P like this.
  15. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

And how much RFI will all that screen produce? A lot, if my experiences with LED screens are anything to go by.

My visualisation of the globe at any time of day is free. It's called a mental picture. But, of course, I'm not a dumb consumer.