ad: elecraft

Our Sun Dials Down the Brightness: Solar Storm Forecast 06-09-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Our Sun Dials Down the Brightness: Solar Storm Forecast 06-09-2018

KE7ANO, NL7W, M0ORH and 1 other person like this.
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

So does the data indicate a trend? IS the sun cooling (Maunder Minimum)? Will the current volcanic eruptions have an affect on our 2019 WX? Just asking in the interest of conversation.

3. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The suns corona changes surface temperature during the 11 year solar cycle. Higher at solar maximum, lower at solar minimum. This is due to the "snapping back" of solar magnetic fields during maximum, which warms the suns coronasphere as well as changing luminosity. This has nothing to do with climate change, Maunder Minimums affecting climate, volcanic eruptions (something the sun has no effect on), or any other tinfoil-hat conspiracies theories that have nothing to with the actual helioscience.

The reality is these changes do not affect our planet much, due the slow moderating nature of our atmosphere and oceans. This is why Maunder Minimums do have an effect long term since they happen over tens of millennia ... I say normally ... because right now we are supposed to be heading into a minimum, but climate is getting warmer. But that's another topic.

While unfortunate for the Hawaiians the amount of volcanics gases and dust being released globally are actually below annual levels this year. Same went for last year, which was slightly higher. Volcanic activity is overall lower than normal, contrary to what the uninformed pontificate about. So no ... no effect on climate or even weather (the two are different things). Air traffic yes ... WX no (except maybe locally on the big island, Hawaiʻi).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    WB9AZA likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sunspots are cooler than the normal undisturbed surface. So a lack of sunspots indicates a warmer average sun surface.

WB9AZA likes this.
  5. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is our current situation related to HF propagation? ie: sunspot minimum and good/bad or maximum=great times for Ham radio. Please explain. (in terms a 50+year Ham can understand)

6. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While the sunspots are cooler than the surrounding surface, the higher magnetic field activity during solar maximums means the surface the chromosphere and the corona are hotter than during solar minimums. Sunspots are visible since they are the cold spots and are moving downward below the surface due to in part convective forces. They form where the magnetic lines of force are traveling back into the suns as well.

Solar minimums (low or no sunspots) means less HF propagation. We are currently are heading into a minimum; and the last maximum was a weak one.

7. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how many arguments I had with the ARRL staff about propagation. I told them up here in Vermont,I'm limited to a dipole and a hf mobile station, both 100 watts. I can hear dx stations,but europe, once in a while Asia,some south America,but never anything else. They claimed there's plenty of dx out there..ya if you got a 100 foot tower and 13 element beam and kw amp. But us little guys with qrp,mobiles,100 watts and a dipole can't hears as good. They said if you can hear them, you can work them and that is simply not true! Propagation up here in the northeast is very poor.never hear anything on 15 meters and above. I used to back in the 80's and 90's had a big gun station and call cq once and get a pile up. now with 100 watts and tarheel or dipole, call cq all day and never get a bit but if you do and most people when they find out your mobile,your qrp, then their response is " OH I HAVE BAD QRM,QRN,YOUR SIGNAL IS FADING BAD,XYL IS CALLING,HAVE A TELEPHONE CALL,ETC,ETC,ETC. " and that's because they don't want to chat with a low powered station,so they make an excuse. I've always said, if every one used just 100 watts and no amplifiers,everyone would work everyone and there would less qrm. So it is natural to answer the most powerful,big s-9 plus signal with big booming voice instead of a low voice of 100 watts that sounds like their in the back of the room.

KC1EKB and KD2ANN like this.
  8. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe so. It's happened before.

9. WB9ROK

WB9ROK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe the volcanic eruptions will have an effect on global weather, although they will have an impact on Hawaii's weather. As I understand it, the volcanic plume is limited to the troposphere, which minimizes any global effects. Here's a helpful article from two scientists at the University of Wisconsin... http://wxguys.ssec.wisc.edu/

10. KA1BSZ

20 meters was awesome today,worked many stations on psk,oliva,contestia from the mobile. I have had some many problems with my FT8 program by WSJT-X I deleted it. I think the rc3 program was a defective program from the start. I down loaded back in March and it slowly went from bad to worst. That is something you got to watch out for.When a news feed says that Joe Taylor K1JT says you shouldn't download it,DON'T!!!!There is a reason for that!

11. KA1BSZ

30 and 40 meters is loaded with dx tonight! That WSJT-X PROGRAM with FT8 has to be connected to the internet to work properly. I have mine at home works fine. the mobile loses abt 0.05 seconds everyday.

12. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

No it doesn't. There are various ways to get time sync. 0.05 sec wouldn't make any difference. But you should strive to stay within a second.

13. KA1BSZ

True..BUT...if you get the program calibrated and then use it, the internal computer clock drifts and if your off 0.10 seconds , it will not decode.

14. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not true. You can be off a couple of seconds and it will still decode. Making QSOs is a whole nuther story.

15. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't go above 20 except for 6 Es. I hear stations check into nets on 40 with those little 5 watt kit radios and they often have respectable signals. Not every day but often. I would agree with conventional means you are not gonna work the DX you could with a big beam using a dipole. Never can except for maybe at top of a hot cycle.