ad: Retevis-1

New Elecraft KPA1500 Amplifier Presentation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, May 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you David, KG6IRW for an excellent and informative presentation on the Elecraft KPA1500 amplifier. What an awesome piece of equipment.

kpa1500.jpg

KPA1500 solid-state amplifier won’t take over your entire desktop: it’s just 4.5 x 13.5 x 11.5”.

KA6PNL, KB8OKJ, AB9JS and 3 others like this.
  2. AC7S

AC7S Ham Member QRZ Page

i want one when they go on sale ......lol

AK5B and K0PIR like this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

You can order one.

AC7S, AK5B and K0PIR like this.
  4. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he said they will be shipping in two or three months. No reservation fee, just call up and get in line. Elecraft will call you shortly before the ship date and confirm your order at that time.

AC7S likes this.
  5. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting choice of color for the High Voltage Power Pole connectors. I would have thought it would have been a light blue and black not red and black. What can go wrong? Nice looking unit, can run full bore all day.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

K3SX likes this.
  6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are 75 Amp Power Pole connectors and are physically larger than standard PP's. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

AK5B and WB8LBZ/SK2023 like this.
  7. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have some of the 75 Amp PPs for a mobile amp. The LDMOS amps are just starting to come on the market. Many at 50 Volts and as much as 50 amps. I have seen 3 of these chips on a board. This amp (IF you could run it wide open) could do 2500 Watts with out problem but has been dialed back. There is a kit amp made in Germany that will do 2500. The design looks good. I expect to see this box in photos of DXpeditions. I went to the website and read the specs. Two thumbs up for this new amp

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

KK4HPY, K0PIR and AK5B like this.
  8. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that is the same size as my KPA-500---the main difference being the outboard PS for the 1500. Wish they had showed that, too but it is still quite a treat to see the long awaited KPA-1500 become a reality. I bet sales will go through the roof in Aptos.

Way to go Elecraft! Now I really need to win the Texas Lotto...soon!

AC7S likes this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great! I have a huge, heavy QRO Technologies DX-2500 on my desk taking up a fair amount of room.... great amp, but I can certainly see this amp in my future, more maybe one of the German kits.

AC7S, KH6KG and K0PIR like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Six grand? Sigh...I suppose I'm sticking with tubes in the form of my AL-811H . :(

VK6APZ/SK2022, KE9OL and K0PIR like this.
  11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

The AL-811H is an awesome amp for the money, but, That is not 1500 watts. it does not do 6 meters. ;)

I have the KPA500 now, really really nice and well worth the price.

The KPA1500, I can not afford yet. Bought a new car this year. LOL.

KK4HPY, NL7W and AK5B like this.
  12. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh...life is too short for QRO. ;)

K6MTS likes this.
  13. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On any good day (of which there are many with Elecraft gear) my KPA500 will effortlessly pump out 700 watts on 40M and almost as much on the higher bands; on six meters it tops out at 525 or so according to the LCD readout. Great little instant-on automatic band-switching brick!

While I certainly will be coveting a 1500 for a long time forward I doubt there is really much point in paying a lot more bucks for 3-5db more punch in the larger scheme of things. It is always nice to dream, though.

Meanwhile, the KPA500 will remain in my shack as it is truly a lot of bang for the buck. I also had the pleasure of assembling it which has always compounded my joy.

Perfect for DXpeditions should I ever partake, too.

"Look ma, no external power supply!"

14. HB9TRT

HB9TRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice, I heard much of them, but only heard. So I own now a RF-KIT PA which works very fine. One Box...PA and Power, no cabeling with Powersupply. Much power guaranteed.
    I also own a KPA500 which is the price worth, it fits in my complete K-line and will be in the shack also. For mor power, other TRX I now use the RF-KIT pa. The KPA1500 is also a bit to expensive for me, but i think in the same price category like the expert or flex(?). RF-KIT is less cost intensive and provides proe power. But you have to do some work before go on Air. Buy and mount the fans and raspbery PI and also do some cable work (soldering) and after that the calibration. I think a work which makes most hams happy ;-)

AB9JS, AK5B and WB8LBZ/SK2023 like this.
  15. WA7CCA

WA7CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the video. It would have been nice to see the power supply and know some of the details.