ad: k1jek

WSJT-X FT8 Yaesu FT-891 Data & CAT Conttol tutorial

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators
    Many of you have asked for a Yaesu FT-891 tutorial for the digital mode settings with software such as WSJT-X. In this video we go through setting up the Yaesu FT-891 digi mode settings, configuring the audio interface to work with the 891, and configuring the rigs CAT Control settings to work seamlessly with WSJT-X.

My Configuration in the video
    - Yaesu FT-891
    - DigiMaster MiniProSC Audio interface
    - HP Laptop running Windows 10
    - Non-tandard shielded USB Cables

The setting in this video work for all the mode supported by WSJT-X: FT8, WSPR, JT65, JT9, ... The rig dide of the settings will work with most digitsl mode packages eg, WinLink, PCALE, FSQ, FLDigi, APRS Messenger, ... Time permitting, I'll also release a similar tutorial for the Raspberry Pi running Raspian & FT-891.

Video url:

Julian oh8stn
    IMG_20180510_215812_456.jpg

K7JTN, KB7THL, N3GY and 5 others like this.
  2. KF5VGK

KF5VGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this tutorial Julian! I'm getting ready to attempt this with my 891. Following your channel by the way. :)

OH8STN likes this.
  3. K0UA

K0UA Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to run your bandwidth as wide as possible, Not narrowed down. and you need to set split to fake it.

4. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian,
    Are you using these same settings for WINLINK?

73s,
    Larry
    IU3JNT

5. AI6MC

AI6MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using the 891 for FT-8 for the past year. HRD software with WSJT-Alert will log all entries to the HRD log and I also have it set to auto log to eqsl and QRZ. It uploads to LOTW with just a couple of clicks in the HRD software.
    Sweet! I also use the 891 as my mobile HF radio with a scorpion antenna mounted in the truck when I go camping. Double Sweet!!

AI6MC

6. OH8STN

yes

7. OH8STN

Why complicate your station configuration with HRD?

KK9W and K1BQY like this.
  8. WJ0B

WJ0B Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree.

9. BH9BG

BH9BG Ham Member QRZ Page

i can't see the url

10. W1MCX

W1MCX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Julian. Awesome video and instructions..as usual.

11. N4AOX

N4AOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Digipan running on Win 7 VIAO laptop. data in, data out work fine but no PTT.
    I can get PTT by plugging up mike and hitting Mike PTT when I transmit DigiPan. Why
    does the Y-891 CAT line not work like they show it should work in the 891 data. This is not
    brain science or rocket surgery. RST for PTT? How hard can that be? I used to write
    cashregister interrupt and ops for RS232 running CashDrawer. No, I do not have audio in audio out
    problems, I have a "CAT" port (mini-USB socket on the 891) problem that is suppose to see PTT on the RTS high?
    DigiPan acts like it sees the RTS sig. when I look under "Serial Ports... & PTT Interface. The hookup
    is shown on P.64 of the Y-891 Advanced Manual.
    Any ideas?
    I could build a Vox detect on the audio (Data In) that kicks in a killer voltage that will shift the PTT or die trying.
    But, I hate to start carving on a 1 mo old rig.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  12. N6TTO

N6TTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the ability to use 60m? I can't seem to get that working on digital with cat control.

OH8STN likes this.
  13. OH8STN

Sure. you'll just have to add 60m manually to wsjtx. It is not in the band list by default.
    Julian oh8stn

14. N6TTO

N6TTO Ham Member QRZ Page

It is on JTDX, but when I try and transmit the light blinks off and on, which I believe means it is not transmitting. Have you had that happen?

15. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im wondering why cat control won't put the radio on Upper sideband when you switch to 40 meters or lower? I dont like using data mode on the 891 it sounds very narrow and doesnt work well.
    This radio makes no sense. Any other radio will change from lsb to usb when wsjt-x tells it to. Maybe there's a way? This radio has some pretty awful menu designs. Ive had 3 of these radios and i always get rid of them after a short time. I remember why now. But i need something compact that does 100w hf so there's the compromise.
    Hopefully someone knows a way to make it select usb on 40m without going into the menu when cat control should be able to do this on its own.

KK9W likes this.