ad: Sussex-1

Michigan Ham Radio Operator pleads guilty to felony, loses license

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9LMR, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9LMR

K9LMR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't seem to mean anything. He can get a ham license again in a couple of years if he wants so no big deal.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... And if I would make illegal transmissions, I could do it without an amateur license.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... or, .......He could form a club, and get a club call

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for him.

Kind of young to be getting in trouble.

Looks like he is a computer hacker type.

He may land a good job in security soon.

6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it possible that this young man never uttered a word over the MPSCS?

Looks like he bought a P25 trunking radio and cloned a legitimate county radio on the system. The documents associated with this case said the average PTT time across the nearly 1000 times the radio transmitted was less than 5 seconds. I have to wonder if when the radio associates with the trunked multi site system, changes towers, or is polled by the system, if that gets counted as PTT time just like usage to speak over the system?

That doesn't make it any less illegal, but you'd think if they could have identified him making false calls, running tags, and other stuff, the recordings and details of that would have surely been part of the investigation and court papers. Just wondering out loud here and reading between the lines. I'm not trying to diminish the criminality of his actions.

WM9K likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather serious stuff hope he cleans up his act a shame to waste his talent on the wrong side of the law. He reminds me of a young guy in the movie I watched last night "Catch Me If You Can" the story of Frank Abagnale Jr. a check forger who wound up working for the FBI.
    https://www.biography.com/people/frank-abagnale-20657335

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the book way before the movie came out. Good read..

K3XR likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my BaoFeng to get my coffee delivered by the local PD.

N4FLF and N9NY like this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I own Baofengs but operate them 100% legally. So why should I heed that? ;)o_O

Dave
    W7UUU

NY7Q, N3AB, K4AGO and 2 others like this.
  12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

After you hook one to a spectrum analyzer you will understand.

It is what it is.

Operators that intentionally use them out of band are crazy. But I know a few. :eek:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    K4XJ likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I have actually. I posted a thread about it a year or so ago. Looked just fine. I have two UV5R Baofengs and both looked well within spec.

However, I'm pretty sure the chap in the news article was involved with something quite more disruptive to emergency services than having a second harmonic that was 1 dB higher than the FCC spectral purity requirements. ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, K4AGO, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  14. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never understood why people would mess around with public safety radio. I mean...what do they want with it?:confused: Heck, I've got a scanner, but it won't transmit, of course. And I DO listen to the local PoPo on my 2 meter rig sometimes. But transmit? No Siree!

K4XJ likes this.
  15. W8CON

W8CON Ham Member QRZ Page

In Camerons defense I will say that I know of him through local repeaters, he was heavily into radio of all sort and was a real wiz at programming the old out dated motorolas for use on local repeaters.
    Cam had aspirations of going through the Michigan st police academy (if he hasn't already done so) and eventualy joining the force.
    He also was an experementer with radio (as are a lot of amateurs) and I am pretty sure know of His character somewhat- that his actions were not to disrupt of cause havoc/harm-he's a good kid just got caught up in the hobby beyond reasonable limits.
    A look at his facebook page will show him in a light more favorable then the FCC determination.

WJ4U, WD4IGX and KA9JLM like this.