ad: Mountaingoat-1

Building a Portable 20m Vertical Moxon Antenna by K5ACL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Apr 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings hams!

Back at it with another HF antenna - the experimenting never stops :)

This time we're constructing a Portable Vertical Moxon Antenna for 20 Meters using simple hardware and some telescopic poles.

You can find the associated write up here: https://www.k5acl.net/a-vertical-moxon-antenna-for-20-meters/

This is my first Moxon attempted, I think the results are pretty decent & I can't wait to try it over salt water!

Thanks for watching,

K5ACL

[​IMG]

AA3SO, EA4GM, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

intresting

W5KV likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very cool. :cool:

W5KV likes this.
  4. VE2YTQ

VE2YTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you check you the VDA design. It should be pretty close in performance and only require one pole (and a smaller cross member) which should make it easier to turn.

W5KV likes this.
  5. N6LDM

N6LDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. I have been using a Moxon for 15M for long time and it is a vertical configuration like yours but with only one fishing pole. I had excellent results allover the world operating from a local park battery operated.

Thank you and 73 de W6LDM

W5KV and AK5B like this.
  6. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice antenna project, and excellent video as always.

Best 73,

W5KV and AK5B like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The conundrum of center fed vertical dipoles is one that few want to discuss. The fact is the coax is in the near field and (by definition) near the current max. That means, at the very least, it will distort the power pattern, and more likely radiate itself--unless it is at a right angle to vertical, and thus horizontal.

Your one choke won't stop this.

45 degrees for the coax orientation is a good rule of thumb, but 90 degrees, at least 1/2 wave away in extent, is better assurance that the power pattern won't distort from the presence of the coax.

I suspect some of your 'unexpected' results come from the power pattern distortion.

Vertical Moxons are very popular in Japan, BTW.

W5KV, AK5B, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to a really good balun at the feedpoint:
    About a dozen #31 mix ferrite beads along the coaxial cable in the near field can help a lot with that problem.
    Using a half-wavelength section of RG-174 makes it lighter weight; the ferrites can be smaller diameter and lighter.

W5KV, AK5B, W8YIH and 1 other person like this.
  9. W5KV

Interesting! Thanks for this explanation - that would explain a bit. I'll have to figure out a way to get the coax perpendicular - which would be easy for Field day, just support the coax in a nearby tree, but might be a bit harder at other locations!

10. W5KV

RG174 would probably work great! Great idea - I use the same on my SOTABeams link dipole with great success, would definitely alleviate a lot of the weight on the driven element pole! Thx!

11. W5KV

That's the first I've heard of 'VDA' - i'll check'em out, was trying to figure out a way to do a 2 element beam with just two poles - this looks interesting :) thx!

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably that effort is not really worth pursuing, as it takes up too much real estate. Best advise is make sure the bottom of the antenna (horizontal section) is as high above ground as possible. On 20m, at least 4 or 5 feet:)

W5KV likes this.
  13. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the worries about pattern are there, but overstated. For portable ops, just put it up and work some stations! You can always move it around armstrong style, too.

Heck, I have this huge flat roof at 5 stories high, which allows me space to try out all kinds of antennas at 50 to 70 feet up. There's all sorts of crap up here... air conditioners, a high TV antenna, other antennas... just get something resonant up, do your best to mitigate issues, and start working DX!

[​IMG]

More pics if you search me at HL1ZIX. And a moxon video is on the way from me, also... love them!

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    W5KV likes this.
  14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Incidentally, I'm having troubles finding the post someone made in the news recently about making an X between the four points of a horizontal wire beam, and feeding the coax down from that X support. I want to highlight that in a video, soon. Anyone know what thread that was?

Thanks!

15. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You do a very good job with your video production. I have ADD and most ham videos lose me in less than a minute.

W5KV likes this.