ad: QuirkyQRP-1

QRZ App for Android now in Beta Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

As some of have noticed, I was working on the server and there were several minutes of downtime.

GOOD NEWS! I have fixed the compound (slashed) call sign problem. Check out all your favorite compounds now, like:

AA7BQ/M
    AA7BQ/QRP
    1B/TA5osc
    9A/R3FC

K7VZ likes this.
  2. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Gracias Fred, and keep the good work. Some of my friends are *jealous* that I am Beta Tester HIHI..73 Carl de NØCEL

3. KE0NAZ

KE0NAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I get none of that . just a blurry black and white box , enter call sign and that's it . none of the fancy cool stuff . just a call look up . cant even access menu or whatever those pics show . nuthin'......... lucky me ...

Attached Files:

4. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Fred, just updated the program, so far so good, only thing i see right off the bat is the call sign and the search area are overlapping on my phone, not a big deal as it does not hurt the operation. Its an LG Android 5.1.1. (Straight Talk)

5. KF5VGK

KF5VGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Working well now! :)

6. W6MCN

W6MCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the look of the new app and it works like a charm. Have it installed on a Galaxy Tab A with android 7.1.1 Haven't had any of the above issues. Thanks and great job

73's

7. VE3IPS

VE3IPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded it and will advise and glitches or bug defects

8. AA7BQ

As of this afternoon we have 450 Beta Testers using the new program Many thanks to all as we're getting some great feedback. The App quietly reports errors back to QRZ and each time one comes in, I fix it. Today we only received one error, YAY.

I will have another update micro-release ready tomorrow. Tomorrow's release will test some new networking code that we implemented today.

9. LB4FH

LB4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    It seems like it's still not functioning correctly when you consider compound callsigns in different DXCC's, for example SM6/LB4FH/P, which just leads to an error.

Also, is there a way to log a QSO with this app?

10. AA7BQ

New Release today, Version 2.0.28 includes:

- new Map options (satellite, terrain, etc)
    - more Grid Square information
    - various appearance updates
    - new low-level networking layer for greater reliability

Thanks to everyone who has reported back to us. The process is going very smoothly and this Beta release will become a candidate for Production!

Get your copy at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.qrz.database.callsign

73, -fred

W0FW and K7VZ like this.
  11. AA7BQ

Sorry, but no logging is supported at this time. We're looking into it, however.

Callsigns like SM6/LB4FH/P are simply too difficult to deal with. Bear in mind that the server doesn't know at first glance which part of this triplet is the primary callsign. We, as humans know that LB4FH is primary, but we can't seem to find a rule that works for all instances since the primary can have a prefix, a suffix, or both, or none.

Programmer's joke: "If all call signs could be reduced to an MD5 hash, the problem would be solved. Just try calling
    71f920fa275127a7b60fa4d4d41432a3 in a contest!" :)

LB4FH and KA9JLM like this.
  12. AA7BQ

Well, that had to be the shortest release in history.... Version 2.0.30 now available.

The easiest way to find bugs is to release the program into the wild. Fortunately, I found two bugs right here on my device and fixed them on the spot.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  13. KC1ILH

KC1ILH QRZ Lifetime Member #289 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you, AA7BQ, for the updates. They definitely improve the appearance and functionality. Unfortunately, since the .30 update, QRZ Assistant (beta) keeps telling me incorrect username/password. I have changed neither recently. I successfully used the beta app after installing it yesterday (or the day before). I can log into QRZ from this desktop using the same username and password. I'll try un/reinstalling the app next.

AB0E likes this.
  14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When you hold the phone "upright" (vertical orientation) the call sign display box overlaps the call sign search box.

Not a big deal, just an observation.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  15. AA7BQ

It depends on the resolution and size of your device’s display.

About the only alternative to the current behavior would be to scale the fonts based on screen width.

The app is developed on a desktop emulator that mirrors the Google Pixel phones capabilities. We don’t see any overlap on the emulator nor does it happen on my 5 year old HTC mobile phone running Android 5.x.

Screen layouts for applications is always an iterative process. There is always too little space to fit everything we want. Sure, we can use tricks like stacking buttons and menus under other objects, but in the end every decision is a trade off.

Perhaps what we need here is what Microsoft calls a ComboBox, which is a widget that is both a drop down list as well as an input box. Might be worth looking into...

73! -fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.