ad: cq2k-1

25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

One hopes!

2. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

As do I. Apology? Methinks thou dost protesteth too much. And use many capitals. I think you should apologize to my ears with all that shouting. You shouldn't hold your breath Chip. I sure won't.;)

KK5R likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Minor problem...

What Tesla demonstrated is not "radio" as we know it today.

We could argue that striking a tuning fork transmits a series of resonant waves and somehow calling this development an event which lead to , "radio as we know it today"

...but it isn't.

KK5R likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you understand that you call me an ANARCHIST?

I have never ever ever advocated for a stateless society. No comment I have ever made--especially here --can or should be interpreted as such advocation.

How do you justify that behavior? And in PUBLIC!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe TESLA took those tuning forks, INVENTED the FENDER RHODES, and in doing so....INVENTED FREQUENCY HOPPING!

[​IMG]

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm... Now, I could be wrong, but this exhibit makes me think that there were similarities.

Tesla's Remote Control Boat

KK5R likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

The boat could also have been remote controlled by a tuning fork which was invented long before Tesla's boat demonstration.

KK5R likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Notice the schematic is devoid of wiring (info).

KK5R likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

See patent 613809 as the original document on the wireless boat.

10. KC8VWM

So basically what we have here is an electrical switch controlled by magnetism.

The same principle involved with moving metal filings around on paper using a magnet. In this case the magnet was a coil powered by electrical current.

To propel the boat a magnetic switch was employed using a magnetic field which was initiated by the powerful coil.

When the switch closed the connection through these electrical field forces, the circuit was powered and enabled causing the motor to start. Then a second electrical pulse could enable another circuit to close.

Yup, that sounds like radio huh?

Here's the official description from his patent.

" this case the action at a given distance will be the stronger the larger the area enclosed by the conductor and the greater the rate of change of the current.

If the latter were generated in the ordinary ways, the rate of change, and consequently the distance at which the action would be practically available for the present purpose, would be very small; but by adopting such means as I have devised—that is, either by passing through the conducting-path currents of a specially-designed high-frequency alternator or, better still, those of a strongly-charged condenser—a very high rate of change may be obtained and the effective range of the influence thus extended over a vast area, and by carefully adjusting the circuit on the moving body so as to be in exact electromagnetic synchronism with the primary disturbances this influence may be utilized at great distances."

Soooooo.. what was never actually demonstrated, was controlling this boat over large distances. I repeat again, there was never any demonstration to control this boat over a great distance. It was only something that existed as a dream in his patent description and never done.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Tesla invented Wooly Willy:)! But you have to admit: it was remote control:)

[​IMG]

12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

People also do not recognize that Tesla went on a lecture tour with the emphasis on Natural Vibration. His studies into vibration were unique and were the reason behind his Earthquake Machine that he fastened to a girder of his laboratory building in Manhattan and, after seeking out the natural sympathetic frequency, began to shake everything in the neighborhood. The machine found the frequency and built on it, like marching across a bridge, and when people realized he had to be the "culprit," they ran to his workshop where they found him beating the earthquake machine into oblivion with a sledgehammer.

Tesla knew about resonance but since few others had concentrated on it, I wonder what he called it and if someone would look back at it and find fault with it, accusing him of not knowing what he was talking about. Hmmmm!

History can be rewritten but it cannot be undone. The essence of fact does not decay.

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

“It is work which keeps a man sane. Brilliancy without
    the capacity for work drives people to the madhouse.”
    — Edward Phillips Oppenheim in The Evil Shepherd, 1922

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[Full disclosure: I was a professor at Boston University in Mechanical Engineering, placed in that department because of my work on mechanical vibrations. I was always amused by that, anout 5% of my research has been on mechanical vibrations!]

Bob, all you are doing is paraphrasing PRODIGAL GENIUS (by O'Neill) again....go dig out the ORIGINAL sources.

MYTHBUSTERS, some time back, did the magnifying standing wave experiment, on a bridge and building, as per the claimed enforcement of Tesla (on mechanical oscillating pistons). The acoustic resistance cannot be overcome and the oscillations are damped.

[​IMG]

BUSTED!

Tesla was...

BUSTED!

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/about-this-show/earthquake-machine/

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  15. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the argument used when some people insist that what Tesla used was electromagnetic induction. However, that is the essence of Radio, isn't it?

Electromagnetic Induction without field limitation and the reason why receivers today can detect microvolts/microamps that go into radiated power levels. Marconi's power levels were minuscule by today's power level standards and instead of being heard a few hundred yards away, that power level could have been detected almost anywhere in Europe by using one of today's powerhouse transceivers. In fact, it's not the power levels that guarantee communication today, it's all in the receiver and a good antenna. Ask any QRPer who has made contacts of thousands of miles using less than one watt of output power.

As the old saying went, "Give me a pivot point and I can move the world," the saying can be used today of: "Give me a good antenna and an excellent receiver and I can hear the world."

Run your megawatts of power and if there is no good receiver to hear it, there would be no proof of it being part of a communication. Proofs cannot be stretched to cover every situation unless it's done by a person in a vacuum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.