ad: CQMM-1

25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to see ANY evidence presented here that Marconi cannot lay claim to being--at least-- a "father of radio" as per the OP.

Wireless/radio has always been and continues to be a rough and tumble field. The pioneers are, indeed, treated poorly. But the history points to the reality that those who stick it out, and have the priority on their side, DO prevail.

Such a journey is painful, and it is not for those who entertain self-doubt. I know. Personally.

We need to respect Marconi as --the-- early pioneer that brought us into the wireless age. A great man, great for many reasons.

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a turning point for how the SC decided the case:

3. As between two inventors, priority of invention will be awarded to the one who by satisfying proof can show that he first conceived of the invention. P. 320 U. S. 34.

4. Commercial success achieved by the later inventor and patentee cannot save his patent from the defense of anticipation by a prior inventor. P. 320 U. S. 35.

Tesla may not have adequately explained what is happening and, through hindsight, this is mainly because the terminology had not yet been adapted. For example, antenna polarization techniques were yet to be pondered and words like Superhet were not in their dreams.

Tesla did anticipate what he had deduced from physics and mathematics was crucial to a new system of communication even if not voice or data communications. That a signal could be transmitted with predictable results was in Tesla's mind and the idea of it being Conductive Air was a mere shadow away from Ether which was the going description of the medium for decades to come.

What Tesla accomplished cannot be denied by concentrating on some phrase, some not-yet-established terminology or some personality quirk related to Tesla. Ignoring available factual data and using wordsmith tactics does not negate what Tesla accomplished.

If Tesla's discoveries were not patented, that does not make them invalid. Constantly referring to Patent is an attempt to cause others to ignore the discoveries by Tesla. However, the greater proof of this historical diversion is overcome by Marconi himself: If what Tesla discovered was of no consequence, why then did Marconi use so many of them?

If ALL the discoveries of Marconi and Tesla were listed side-by-side, the greater number of Tesla's patents alone would be significant. There is some considered opinion by the Tesla Museum that his patents number close to 1000 and probably more. As to how many of Marconi's patents are adaptations of others' ideas and patents is suspected also to be a significant number.

Again, Tesla and other contributors to the Discovery of Radio were almost all the results of laboratory experiments and their documentation. Marconi went one step farther, he took many of those "discoveries," put them together into a workable in the field demonstration of what we know now as the pioneering work that eventually achieved radio as we know it today. Marconi's impetus was not a matter of taking the laboratory into the field but to go one step farther: Long Distance Communication.

By today's standards, the coherer/decoherer are not elements of a viable communications system. This was what had to be done at that time since no other method of detection had yet been contrived. The mother of necessity is invention, ya know. However, there were others that addressed this in a different way such as the use of the Galena detector but until more advanced systems were produced, the coherer/decoherer was workable and demonstratively so. But if Marconi had been asked if it was by the medium of "air conduction" or by way of the "ether," I suspect he'd have scratched his head and said, "What?" Concentrating on this as a diversion from what Tesla actually did would leave Saul Alinsky smiling and if alive, he'd be jotting it down in his little notebook.

Marconi has his place in history as the "Father of Radio Communication" but Tesla has his place in history as the "Father of Remote Control by use of Radio." The difference between the two depends upon throuh which window you happen to be looking at history. But to ignore the contributions of many others in what came to be Radio Communication is not serving history very well.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Unbelievable.

TESLA did NOT INVENT A RADIO SYSTEM. He did not 'use' Hertzian waves in his inventions--according to him. He did not get patents for Hertzian wave 'radio'-- according to him it was for CONDUCTIVE AIR.

Heinrich Hertz did his experiments at Karlsruhe almost a generation before Tesla's stuff. Tesla KNEW about Hertzian waves. But his inventions did NOT invoke them, assume them, or teach them, in his patents.

4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction...

"The mother of invention is necessity," or some variation thereof.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dumb and wrong.

Why are you INSISTING on this Tesla/radio thing? Its just wrong.

Tesla is the FATHER OF REMOTE CONTROL.

REMOVE the 'by use of radio'.

6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

MORE skewing of what someone says... I said "Tesla's Accomplishments." And you want to ignore that.

Why don't you stick to the topic instead of trying to make it something else. This is also a tactic of Alinsky.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You said:"Father of Remote Control by use of Radio."

Bob, go feed the pigeons.

8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

He used radio as we know it today. Some try to say it was merely electromagnetic induction but this is still a factor in radio communication.

CONCENTRATE ON WHAT TESLA ACCOMPLISHED
    instead of trying to make it ALL into your minuscule view and opinion of history.

You are so concentrated on Tesla not accomplishing what he did that you want to reshape history into what you wish it were. The struggle to destroy Tesla is warping your mind.

You say your college thesis was about Tesla? Was it because you wrote to destroy Tesla and satisfy some mind-numb professor? I wonder.

9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, the crucial point of giving the credit of Radio to Tesla is here:

Here is a turning point for how the SC decided the case:

3. As between two inventors, priority of invention will be awarded to the one who by satisfying proof can show that he first conceived of the invention. P. 320 U. S. 34.

4. Commercial success achieved by the later inventor and patentee cannot save his patent from the defense of anticipation by a prior inventor. P. 320 U. S. 35.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

God,

I would NEVER have done a thesis on Tesla.

No. Go read what I said.

No Bob, I have no interest in reshaping history. But those who strive to make it are best served by going back to ORIGINAL SOURCES to see what went before them.

You ignore what ORIGINAL SOURCES SAY on this subject and revel in derivative and incorrect secondary and tertiary sources. SHAME ON YOU.

Tesla did astounding work on AC systems. He invented remote control. He made a nice water fountain. He did key early work in hydraulics.

That's important by anyone's definition.

11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

This the best you can do? Ridicule someone by inferring that feeding pigeons, as Tesla did, is somehow a sign of mental deficiency? Weak...

How many friends do you really have apart from those who are amazed that you are The Father of the Fractal Antenna? IF this is all there is, that makes you some kind of god in their limited mentality.

As one friend in the military kept telling others when they whipped up some factoid, "Tell me what you know that is original, not what you copy from others." THIS is the mark of true wisdom, not merely the interpretation and propagation of the opinions of others.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure.

If it gives you pleasure in accomplishment.

This tact here is not getting you anywhere, IMO, except Tesla fan-boy/poster child status.

Bob, I have TOO MANY friends. I suffer the guilt of not being able to put the time into those relationships to keep them where they deserve to be. That is what happens when you are an inventor and your stuff takes off -- and at 63 you don't have the stamina you had at 30. As they say, be careful what you wish for.

Happy now? I gave you a window into my private life. Consider it now shut.

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla demonstrated remote control of a boat (that was also submersible) and whether he called it Air Conduction, Ether, or Electromagnetic Induction does not matter. He was using a concept that was accepted. In hindsight, in a narrow-minded way, this is enough to negate what Tesla did?

Someone said he wrote his thesis on Tesla in this thread. Thought it was you since you idolize Tesla so much. Whoa! That's Marconi, right? :p

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No. I NEVER said I wrote a THESIS ON TESLA.

But this is compelling evidence that you don't get facts straight.

I just TOLD YOU:

TESLA IS THE FATHER OF REMOTE CONTROL.

With IoT and M2M that is an extremely contemporary field.

Absolutely.

But not ' father of remote control, by radio'.

15. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Chip, have a ball.

I have more important things to do. And that's a window into my personal life.

N2NH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.