ad: CQMM-1

25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla's history shows that he did invent radio and that Marconi sat in his lecture/s about it. Marconi went one stop further, he made radio a commercial success. Before this, though, Tesla transmitted power for 26 miles. There are two books written about this, one by John O'Neil and the other by an English lady but I have forgotten her name.

Marconi's accomplishment is that he took Tesla's idea, experimented with it and invented a practical radio that became a commercial success.

Marconi knew how to market the idea while Tesla had problems with people who could have backed and supported him but they did not. That's the history of radio. Research reveals this regardless of who was the first to register the patent/s for the invention. Reading the literature of the history of radio and those people connected with it makes it clear.

This is not to take away from Marconi's accomplishments because if not for Marconi, radio would only be a laboratory curiosity and a military secret.

Marconi's radio saved lives, many lives. Tesla's radio was a laboratory experiment.

If Tesla had properly done the patenting and worked to make it a commercial success, then we'd be talking about Tesla's radio and not Marconi's radio.

In all honesty, the invention of radio is best seen as a shared invention but Marconi gets more credit for it.

KI6PMD likes this.
  2. K1SHE

K1SHE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmmmmm seems to me the bottom line is Marconi was all about the profit to be made while on the other hand Tesla would have gave it away for free to anyone for the good of mankind just my opinion and we know what those are :}

KK5R likes this.
  3. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_radio

" In 1894 the young Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi began working on the idea of building a commercial wireless telegraphy system based on the use of Hertzian waves (radio waves), a line of inquiry that he noted other inventors did not seem to be pursuing. "

4. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

yes ! here here !

KK5R likes this.
  5. IW2DMO

IW2DMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the Russian Radio Day, on May, 7th and include Popov among the others who contributed to the development of the radio.

KX1MAD and KK5R like this.
  6. KC3AM

KC3AM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW, I have been licensed since 1976 and never know that I shared the same birthday with this great man. I too also started to experiment with radio stuff at an early age by building a crystal radio when I was 10 years old but have never achieved his fame.

G3SEA and KK5R like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Might you be referring to TESLA: MASTER OF LIGHTNING by Margaret Cheney.....a very good book.

KK5R likes this.
  8. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that's the one. Cheney's book is not a parallel book, it added info not covered in O'Neil's book. John O'Neil knew Tesla personally and this is also significant. Mark Twain was also a Tesla friend and visited him frequently.

There is a wealth of info on Tesla on the Internet but O'Neil's book is recommended reading because it went into detail about the man and his life.

After the way Edison treated Tesla, as shown in O'Neil's book, it was understandable that Tesla became pretty much a loner and did not trust very many people. Edison was another one who put the Dollar first, foremost and number one in life and there was no number two. Edison's endeavors culminated in General Electric, not sure what Marconi's how Marconi's efforts culminated but the Marconi company is considered one of the best sources of electronic, laboratory grade test equipment, or at least it was in the past.

In a general sense, I accept that Marconi is the inventor of radio as we know it today. However, Tesla was more into invention with the idea of not using inventions to gouge or keep it from being used by others. Later in life, Tesla became more concerned in receiving proper recognition for what he had "discovered."

One example of Tesla's mindset is when he was asked by George Westinghouse to design the Niagara Falls power system where electricity was produced for the use of New York City. Not to be left out, Steinmetz from General Electric designed the distribution/transfer system for the power. Tesla and Westinghouse shook hands on it with the agreement that Tesla would receive one dollar per horsepower (746 Watts) for the power generation. When the system was in place, one of the Westinghouse people went to the boss and told George Westinghouse that if he paid Tesla what was agreed to, Westinghouse would be bankrupt. Westinghouse went to Tesla and told him that he would pay him even though it would bankrupt him and Tesla again shook hands and told him the agreement was ended, Westinghouse didn't have to pay him the money. This was the kind of man Tesla was and I'm sure that if this had been Edison, no more Westinghouse... Tesla was an honorable man of his word, Edison was a man who allowed money to speak for him, a Wall Street American.

K3XR likes this.
  9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, saw your qrz.com bio page; very good/interesting. Also recommended reading... :)

https://www.qrz.com/db/K3XR

K3XR likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheney's book is what the PBS special TESLA: MASTER OF LIGHTNING was based on have the DVD do also have the other book by Cheney TESLA: MAN OUT OF TIME .

KK5R likes this.
  11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I read one of Cheney's books but read O'Neil's book decades ago and it was impressive. O'Neil's book shows that Tesla was truly a genius.

I wanted to go to the Tesla museum when I was in that part of the world but couldn't make it. There may be some "discoveries" made by Tesla that remain a secret because they were "on the edge" discoveries. When WW2 began, his personal/private papers were taken by the "powers that be" and kept secret for decades. They were finally given over to the Tesla Museum people but sometimes I wonder if they were all handed over...

12. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry but i say the the amazing TESLA is famous for his experients on AC current, the wireless AC and for a remote control of a ship.... but NOT for the radio comunication like Marconi !

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again,

ALL of Tesla's wireless patents --explicitly-- enumerate patent claims stating the need for a "conductive air based medium". Radio waves propagate in vacuo. No conductor necessary. Thus Tesla's inventions were NOT granted as RF-wireless. And that is why he is not historically granted the honor of wireless transmission using RF. That is, radio.

Tesla's patents for 'wireless' were just a small step from his wired AC systems. Replace 'wire' with 'conductive air' (which doesn't exist) and you get the idea. He was just wrong on how it worked, and got patents for something that doesn't work.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  14. UB1ACI

UB1ACI Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not make me laugh!
    Radio invented Russian scientist Alexander Popov.
    May 7 in Russia celebrate the day of Radio.
    Do you celebrate this day?

KK5R likes this.
  15. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

We are both saying the same thing. Tesla invented radio wave propagation that was not designed or intended to be used for communication. However, Marconi "invented" radio communication by proving it works and marketing it successfully.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.