ad: portazero-1

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Like others that worked the over-night shifts, I also listened to Art all the time for many years. He was a real entertainer and provided many interesting interludes. In short, he helped me stay awake. Now I'm trying to recall the other paranormal radio personality, was it Laura or Linda...fun times.

2. K7NSW

K7NSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Once upon a time I struggled through dark times. I often spent my long nights with Art as did many of you. He was a big help to me during those days. I am grateful to have received his influence over the air waves. RIP good friend.

N8QQE likes this.
  3. AB8YL

AB8YL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of Art's passing. I spent a lot of late nights listening to the banter, mostly on 3840, and occasionally, when band conditions permitted, I checked in briefly from my Ohio QTH. His always-strong signal was testament to the notion that if you hang enough wire high enough, you can get great results. He convinced me that, when deciding how much to invest in a station and where to invest it, the antenna system should get first priority. Radio was intrinsic to his DNA. I've a feeling he's already working on a way to get back on the air from wherever he now resides. RIP, Art.

4. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Bye Art, You kept me on the edge of my seat and many times I would time my work load to be out of
    my truck only during a commercial break when time would permit. I hated to miss any live show of yours.
    Mad man Marcum was one of my favorites. They were all fantastic with you as the host.
    Glad I got to talk to you once or twice on 75 meters. I have it recorded here on my PC.
    Purchased a CD once from you and it was great.

Talking to you in present tense because I feel you are probably out there listening / HI HI .... ..

73's de KA8VNG k

N8QQE likes this.
  5. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

My point was that Art, as a professional radio guy, went as far into having the best audio in a ham radio station as well. I too enjoyed his night time show and Art loved those bazaar phone calls, faces on Mars etc. It could be entertaining and far different from most radio of the day.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Laura Hmmm.. was a New Age show. But not 'Dr. Laura'

Nice lady.

I was on that show as a debunker.

After Art did his 'Geronimo in the smoke' stuff, I turned down any overtures to do Coast to Coast.

I did Laura's(name?) show (she asked) after I was brought up on a 1998 Coast to Coast: so many comments were so factually wrong there, and my statements were re-stated, IMO, as the opposite of what I actually said.

Hmmm..is Laura still around?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. W8FLH

W8FLH Ham Member QRZ Page

Art started Midnight In The Desert in 2015. This new show is still carried online by Dark Matter Digital Network. Heather Wade hosts, and had the privilege of working directly with Art even after he left the show in December of 2015. Heather provides a great alternative to the corporate broadcast machine. In fact, it's been very recent that she'd purchased the guest house from Art, and uses his last studio space there.

All my best sympathy to Airyn, Asia, and Alexander Bell. Alexander is Art's son, not yet a year old.

NL7W, KC8VWM and W1YW like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Listened to Art Bell a few times over the years and thought this article summed it up rather well.......
    "Their fidelity did not mean a belief in the words said on the broadcast. They tuned in not for the truth but for a good story. Adults still want storytellers, preferably ones offering the most fantastical tales, to send them to sleep. Art Bell told them stories when parents and older siblings no longer would."
    https://spectator.org/art-bell-an-a-m-radio-original-rip/
    "From the Heartland of America to the Gateway to the West, radio listeners mourn this weekend. The a.m. band lost one of its last great personalities."

NL7W, W1YW and KC8VWM like this.
  9. KI7QVR

KI7QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned about the "chupakabra" from Art. Loved listening to him, laying in bed, when I got home from work. RIP, Art.

10. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

His show was not for “stupid people.” His show was for people wanting to hear a good story.

11. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. KR5J

KR5J Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KR5J

KR5J Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to hear him on 80 meters here in Colorado on the now raucous 3840 frequency. I never did make a contact but really didn't have a good antenna for 80. 73s Art!

14. N2TCP

N2TCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Art just QSYed.
    Tom N2TCP

W7UUU likes this.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

DING DING DING!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W likes this.