ad: elecraft

Art Bell W6OBB is now a SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB8MF, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP Mr. Bell.....was interesting to note that the Zed had the report of his passing before Drudge.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Art's technical expertise was superb and noteworthy. I just feel sad that in such a fascinating universe, his show usually led us to explanations that sounded fascinating but were as solid as the smoke from his cigarettes. The universe is exciting enough without conjuring up universes that don't exist. Like faces on Mars, Aliens Living Amongst Us, Geronimo in the smoke, and catastrophic accelerated climate change. MO. Yours may differ.

I am glad that Art pushed the psychoacoustic enhancement methods; those are real and beyond debate.

Chip W1YW

WA8FOZ likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You do of course realize it was all intended as entertainment right?

Not unlike telling ghost stories while sitting around a campfire.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    K4PIH and WB9YTG like this.
  4. KJ6HZH

KJ6HZH Ham Member QRZ Page

According to last night's show, he was found on the floor in his home and for that reason an autopsy is scheduled.

KV4BL likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever listened to the audience reaction? Like standing around listening to the hub bub at the water cooler?

I have.

Many people took Art as the champion of 'alternative science', 'conspiracy theories', and so on. These were, for the most part, reasonable and rational people, who had limited exposure to science and had the voice of Art's shows to their ear.

Art could have done a far better job separating the wheat from the chaff, IMO. He had that power. Playing skeptic more would not have alienated (no pun intended) his audience.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe, but it may have been him "experimenting" with modulation fidelity using all sorts of external EQ gear, which he had.

He did understand that just because you like the way you sound, others might not; so he asked for a lot of reports as he screwed around with all that.

I used to chat with Art on 3840 kHz many years ago pretty often while he was doing all that -- and a lot of people jumped on the wagon and did what he did, in the early days of "ESSB."

KV4BL likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

Duly noted but it was still intended to be a science fiction radio show.

There's plenty of these kind of shows on Netflix too, but this was broadcast over the radio instead. His job was to convince the listening audience the content portrayed is realistic and believable as possible. I understand what you're saying Chip, but that's just what they do in the entertainment industry. Art Bell was very talented. He had a special gift to connect with people's minds using his voice over the radio and it just happens he was very good at it.

No I suppose a lot of what he said wasn't factual or even scientifically accurate either for that matter. In fact, some of it is outright wacky but believe it or not, it's precisely this kind of thing that sells and attracts a large listening audience.

Art had a very successful radio career because of his unique talents and he will be missed.

K2NCC likes this.
  8. K0RKH

K0RKH Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Art a few times on 3840. He had quit a following on the amateur radio bands as well.
    I enjoyed his shows . 73s Art.

KV4BL likes this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Fond memories, dear friend.
    Old Broken Bottle.

KR4EE, KV4BL, N8QQE and 1 other person like this.
  10. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Art had a radio voice and manner that was very special. Similar to John Batchelor to a degree. Art had a fascinating life, did philanthropic things and probably wrestled a few demons like everyone else. I discovered Coast to Coast AM accidentally back in the day before I got back into ham radio and rarely listened due to all-in work days, evenings and business travel, but sometimes caught Back in Time when George Noory played them. When I heard some of the shows in context of the time period, I realized some interesting things I missed when it had been live. Combined with his manner and the music choices, as well as out-of-the-box topics, Art entertained in a way that allowed you to open your mind in the wee hours. For whatever reason one might be awake at the time, you were welcomed by Art Bell. Thank you Art. May God rest your soul.

11. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's time George Noory steps up and get his ham licence. That way he could talk about strange radio anomalies now and then. Their is no shortage of them. But Art will be mist by all who enjoyed his as a radio host or the fortunate to talk with him.

W1YW likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who would argue with that gift? Art had very special talents.

IMO it was the message that was often--but not always--the issue. If you live in a world where you 'believe' all things are possible, then you cannot move forward with the things that are possible. You will get embroiled in hearsay and superstition and stuck on a version of reality with very little resemblance to the real thing.

And that is the smoke with no substance, IMO, like Geronimo in the campfire. You will see 'meaning' in granite that looks like a man but is in fact a temporary and transient outcropping of crumbling volcanic detritus 'chiseled' by bacteria, ice, water, and acid rain, to set off the part of your brain that --just--has--to-- see form out of disorder.. You will actually lobby to cement the rocks back to maintain the fantasy. That almost happened---coincidentally with of Art Bell's/ Noory's audience? Who knows?
    1. [​IMG]
    BTW, it is outrageous that Art Bell died with a young daughter--and baby son. THAT is enough to make anyone question reality. Very sad, and condolences to his family.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Friday the 13th, of course.

14. KC8VWM

I don't think so Chip. Perhaps, "believe" is not the right word to illustrate this. I feel a person can be subjected to experiencing an alternative reality as a source of entertainment, without believing, changing or altering their own perception of the real world around them.

For example, ever watch the movie Sharknado? So how far fetched and ridiculous is that fantasy world reality? People still watch it anyways simply because it's entertaining. Does this mean people will start believing it's going to be raining sharks outside anytime soon? No, of course it doesn't.

Similarly, there's radio shows that are just as far fetched and no matter how off the wall they may seem to be, they also have a similar entertainment value for many. Art Bell had the kind of talent to successfully produce one of these kind of shows.

I wholeheartedly agree it was very sad for him to pass with a young daughter and a baby son. I share these thoughts with you. Let's hope Art's family has the strength to get through this and pick up the pieces after this tragic loss. Indeed, it's a very sad time for these children.

KV4BL likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, the problem is that Art posed MOST of these 'alternatives' as plausible. Sure, many (in the audience) were entertained, but many also were led to false premises. In other words, Art often (but not always) failed to explain why such kooky ideas were, in fact, kooky. He could have: he had the wherewithal.

In fairness to my critique, I am far more critical of the Science Channels' mixture of science fact with nonsense. Its manipulative, IMO. Art didn't throw out anything to the audience he himself didn't 'believe' in. I never felt manipulated by Coast to Coast.

Art's show had many precedents, including a radio station in the Midwest that would run weekly shows--80 years ago-- on the virtues of goat gonads to restore mans' 'vitality'. They believed that, and ran with it.

KV4BL and KC8VWM like this.