ad: elecraft

What? ARRL Petitions FCC to Expand the Shortwave Privileges of Technician-Class Hams

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by NW7US, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Um, that's actually konspiracy, as explained in this thread. ;)

2. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is kind of like someone complaining that people with a license to operate a Car can not operate a motorcycle and
    if more drivers could operate a motorcycle there would be more drivers on the road.

There's a license for that. Go get one.

N7KO, K4AGO and KK5JY like this.
  3. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

The arrl no longer gives a damn about our hobby.. the cb'ers wanted on the ham bands back in the 70's.. too damn lazy to learn cw.... arrl says "hey,, lets get the code requirement dropped. give out ham licenses on the back of cereal boxes and we'll get hundreds of new INCOME for the league!". Don't believe me,,, just listen into 75 meters some night.....
    I no longer let my grandkids in my shack when I happen to be listening on the phone bands, however luckly I'm about 99% cw....
    What we need is a class action lawsuit against the league and the fcc for not enforcing the rules!

N7KO and K4AGO like this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would we want to "entice, educate, and covert" people who have violated FCC rules and regulations to become ham radio operators while a method of implementing such a process is not likely it would be preferable that those persons never hold and license to operate in the ham bands.

N7KO, K4AGO and K5VZD like this.
  5. W5PN

W5PN Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the entire petition and it’s all pretty disappointing to me. It’s like a dummy down of ham radio operators. Anything not worked for and just given to, will not be respected. Ham radio license is almost one of the easiest things to get these days. Especially since they dropped the Morse code requirements. Let people simply upgrade like we all did. Work for the privilege of more frequency. The people with enthusiasm and the will and the want to upgrade are the people we want in amateur radio. Just seems like things are changing not for the better.

K5VZD, N7KO, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  6. W5PN

W5PN Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree with you. Some of the language I hear on 40 in 80 is unbelievable! I totally believe and sorry to say but things are not changing for the better but getting worse on the amateur bands.

K5VZD, N7KO and K4AGO like this.
  7. W5PN

W5PN Ham Member QRZ Page

It just keeps getting easer and easer to get a ticket. Hell just print one out!! Some of the 40 meter QSO's already sounds like 11 meters. Makes me so sad and disappointed.

K5VZD, N7KO and K4AGO like this.
  8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

DRINK!

N2EY and AC0GT like this.
  9. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

DRINK!

N2EY and AC0GT like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Go easy on that stuff... you're already posting double... ;)

K3XR likes this.
  11. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because you heard some outlaw radio operators on 10 meters is no reason to just give all to the Technician class hams. Just because criminals rob banks is no reason to just open the vault doors to anyone and everyone. Ham radio has always been based on one principal; if you want the privileges
    What you are saying is nothing short of insane. You want to encourage those "freebanders" by talking to them. What you are exhibiting is the CB mentality that is prevalent with new hams in today's culture. It's the "they are breaking the law so lets ALL break the law" attitude. People like you are the very reason why Technicians should NOT be given HF privileges. Once you get HF privileges, You will be breaking the law on HF too. Did you even bother to learn about Part 97 when you "studied" for your Technician ticket? What would REALLY be beneficial is for people of your mentality to take up skate boarding and leave ham radio to those with some maturity and respect for the law. What you did, FreeBanding, was a felony. You, were comitting felonious acts. Now you are advocate hams aiding and abeting felons in the act of comitting a felony by talking to and encouraging "freebanding." Do us all a favor. GET OUT OF HAM RADIO.

AG5SU, N7KO, K3XR and 3 others like this.
  12. KB0OXD

KB0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

While I too am in favor of the ARRL petition,the COLD HARD FACTS are that it's WAY TOO LITTLE WAY TOO LATE as most tech savvy Technicians have invested in VoIP setups (EchoLink, IRLP, etc), Digital modes like DMR, D-STAR, C4FM, P25 & data modes like APRS & regular AX.25 Packet Radio on 2M

So, this petition is ONLY about TEN YEARS late (But BETTER THAN NEVER arriving AT ALL !!)

JMO.....

13. N2RDQ

N2RDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom line is, the proposal will help bring in the next generation into the hobby without negative impacts ..... so, after consideration, I am all for it.
    this is a change of heart from my initial reaction .. .. hear me out on this...

I've been a no-code tech since no-code became a thing. and been into electronics since the 70's I have never gotten my ham ticket if it was not for no-code tech. i think that was a positive move for changing times and frankly, many ended up learning code anyway if they found CW of interest and it brought another generation into ham radio.

I recently did upgrade to General after ~30 years ... as HF interests me more now. The test wasn't difficult for me and frankly could have passed it just about anytime as i didn't even study for it, so the test was no barrier to getting a general ticket and getting HF privileges. For the test, I think that the questions in the general exam pretty much make sure you know what you're doing enough not to cause problems on HF at legal limit power levels.

being a huge techie, the draw for me for HF was the low power digital modes, plus i've also always had a bit of a desire to get on AM phone (don't flame me over it lol ), so the digital part was enough to push me to sit for the exam.

I thought I was against the proposal until I read the proposal.
    there would be a limit still of 200W for tech.
    it allows a tech to operate on digital modes on HF which is a huge draw for the STEM / hacker / maker/ techie types - yes the very same people who have been interested in ham radio for generations in the past.

I think it is a great way to get the next generation interested in the hobby. like the no-code tech, its changing with the times.
    and once there in the hobby .. well ...we all know what happens once you are hooked :)

I'm trying to come up with legitimate reasons not to do this other then "I passed my test to get here, they should too" :)
    basically, that's the same argument they had for no-code tech, it just doesn't hold up. it's not like the tech test doesn't cover the ground necessary to properly operate on hf. id think id be saying something different if we were letting someone with a tech license operate full legal limit.

WU8Y likes this.
  14. N2RDQ

N2RDQ Ham Member QRZ Page

my only thought on that is that a tech savvy tech who could operate in those modes could easily pass the general exam if they wanted to. I think its more about bringing in the next generation of tech-savvy people to the hobby.

I agree.

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this idea from the same crowd that wants to give trophies to all the kids in the game including the losers ?