ad: elecraft

ICQ Podcast Episode 262 - Upgrading To Your Next Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't plan to get a new or better transceiver, and I do plan to spend my limited budget on antenna building and my mast.

That being said, it may be a good time to buy a used Tx when propagation is super low, and people are grumbling about everything being dead and worthless.

WA2LXB likes this.
  2. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm content with my Kenwood TS-590S with simple receive out mod and SDRPlay RSP1 panadapter with HDSDR software, and with external audio amp and high quality speaker, and with low phase noise TCXO and voice modules added. I don't plan to upgrade my main radio any time soon, though upgrades/changes to other station items are always an option. I had upgraded a while ago from a TS-570DG, which we now use as one of our field day radios.

WA2LXB likes this.
  3. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only reason maybe to upgrade is for service, and an increase in receiver selectivity. Will those radios be serviceable going forward. I upgraded because I wanted my radio to be able to work with my computer and the newer radios have built in DSP that is to die for. No more buying expensive crystal filters for all the bandwidths. You are right though, its more important to replace feedlines and antennas.

AJ4LN, KK5R and WA2LXB like this.
  4. KB2QQM

KK5R likes this.
  5. DL1MEV

DL1MEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Receiver technology for the classic modes like CW or SSB is not the issue anymore. The passing away of a lot of AM- broadcaststations has even relieved the large-signal-handling-requirement for ham-receivers. Today the challenges are on other fields: Antenna-restrictions all over the world, may these be HOA, lack of space due to exploding prices for land, PLC, switching- power- supplies of all kinds.

6. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the propagation being so miserable, I also will likely be spending money on getting my tower and hexbeam installed. Once the tower is installed I can also use it as a corner for a 160-meter loop antenna and also attach a 40/80 meter dipole. I may also try and get a Hustler 5BTV and mount it out in the back 40 (really the back 4 acres). I am interested in seeing how a vertical antenna works - I may also look into the StepIR vertical. I would love to get a StepIR yagi, but they are just too big and too expensive. I may also just stick to home brewing antennas to save $$$$ :).

If possible I might look into a used Icom IC-7300, or may likely upgrade from the 811 to a AL-80b (most likely scenario).

GUD DX to all,

Roger N6RGR

7. KB2QQM

On Youtube search OH8STN. He does a lot with portable stuff and batteries. I just built a portable magnetic loop for 40-15. It works up to 150watts. I used a higher voltage capacitor. Love it. Now just to find a portable radio.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know =)
    It is upgraded by SP3OSJ version of well known V0.6 mcHF of M0NKA who changed form-factor in V0.7 instead implementing all latest mods. So SP3OSJ done it and highly improve basic mcHF. Our chinese friends vise versa took old V0.5 of mcHF boards, crap cheap parts and made many clones like RS-918. Lot of information about mcHF you can find here.
    My V0.6 mcHF with all mods is main QRP radio for me last year.

KK5R likes this.
  9. VE3CKO

VE3CKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No disrespect intended but yes we are at or near the bottom of the cycle but DX is there. I've just moved at the end of January and will not be able to put a towers with my SteppIR and other beams until spring. I thought I'd be in the DX dull-drums until I get my SteppIR up in the air. Now that I have the room I was excited to get some real low band wire up and put up a fullwave 160m loop and a 550' bi-directional beverage. In March I've worked Cameroon (40m,20m), Rotuma Is.(80m) and Easter Is. (17m), Republic of the Congo (40m, 20m, 17m) among others. DX windows are there.

KK5R, G0KVL and WA2LXB like this.
  10. VE3CKO

Update, 00:45Z just worked Cameroon on 80m over 6000 miles away with a piece of wire 540' for TX and a beverage for RX. Morocco was booming in on 40m, so there is more good propagation right now.

KK5R and WA2LXB like this.
  11. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When signals are weak, make your antennas strong.

KK5R and W3JJW like this.
  12. VE3CKO

Then I worked Mauritius on 80m over 9400 miles away.

KK5R likes this.
  13. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

W2STF. I am presently using a G5RV antenna. Seems to work OK. I am a disabled vet (100) percent so I cant do any climbing. Don't have enough room for a beam so the so the G5RV will have to do. 73"s.

KB2QQM and KK5R like this.
  14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

FTDX5000 don't get better then that. There 3540.00 after the 300.00 rebate right now.

KB2QQM and K7RHT like this.