ad: Radclub22-1

Coax Loss vs Connector Loss

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. DF5VAE

DF5VAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Interestingly, "UHF" connectors (Amphenol 83-1SP) have slightly less insertion loss at 450 MHz than type N (UG-21D/U) connectors do.

I've measured both many times.

But going above 500 MHz, Type N, as well as C, BNC-TNC-SMA etc. are a better match and lower loss.[/QUOTE]

Well, I eliminated PL259 & SO239 long time ago - may be they are ok for DC up tp 100MHz or so, but measurable mismatch (even if small losses are measurable with a good NA)
    Properly assembled N-connectors are better -
    However I have seen many N-connectors poorly assembled - and their quality and tolerance highly depends on their manufacturer -
    Proper N connectors are good to 18 GHZ - but lousy ones may have poor performance on upper UHF bands.
    Still prefer to minimise number of connectors as it avoids losses.

KK5R and KR3DX like this.
  2. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't worry, sooner or later you'll make the connection.;)

2E0CIT and KK5R like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What you say is essentially true, however, there is a lot of inertia built into connector choice and usage. The PL259 connector is somewhat more robust that a type N connector, and that counts for a lot. If you install connectors outside, you will do a good job of weatherproofing them anyway, whether it be a PL259 or a type N connector. That weatherproofing will also prevent the connector from coming loose. These connectors have been successfully used for decades. For the most part, people don't have problems with them.

The TNC would be a good choice for LMR and other situations where the attaching cable is primarily RG58 size, since those connectors are readily available. However, RG214 cable will put an unusual stress on TNC or BNC connectors, so you don't see them used a lot on base station equipment, where RG213/214 size cables are the norm. So, type N connectors are used a lot on modern base station equipment, but SO239's are predominant on VHF mobile equipment. The center pins on both the male and female type N connectors are more subject to breakage, due to their construction. I think that may be a primary reason that the UHF connectors are so popular.

KK5R and NL7W like this.
  4. AK4QR

AK4QR Ham Member QRZ Page

love the L4B's in the back ground

5. KK6FTD

KK6FTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W, N9PBD, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  6. W0MPM

W0MPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl,
    please educate me about the silver plated BNC. Don't have any but if some came up for cheap I would have thought I was doing 'a Good Thing'.

Thanks

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the modern QRP rigs use the RCA jack for an antenna connection.today. They claim because it is compact and light...I think the real reason is CHEAP.

KK5R and KM1H like this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but is also works very well, and is very small. Really not a bad connector for many RF uses.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The most common tarnish found in a residence is silver sulfate which is a partial insulator.

Carl

KK5R likes this.
  10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as you carry a bit of DeOxit D-100 with you.

Carl

11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

The BNC connector can also be a type that is mounted on a PC board and not bolted on the panel. This means more compactness and no wires floating around inside the box. And you are right, they are probably cheaper since they make so many of them and sell in bulk which also means they are cheaper to transport by being lighter the the SO-239's.

12. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Collins used RCA phono receptacles (pretty good ones with ceramic insulators) on the S-line.

Motorola used something very similar but with a slightly shorter pin all over the place on VHF/UHF LMR equipment for decades.

Not because they're cheap.

N0NC likes this.
  13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Many plating types also protect the metal from oxidation. Like gun bluing, for example, which is nickel oxide.

At one time, some finger contacts were intentionally plated with a thin layer of silver so the oxide can be limited and when the connectors are mated, the finger contact wipes off the oxide allowing a good metal-to-metal contact. At one time, this was common with IC leads. However, technology changes so you don't see this kind of plating, anymore.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    W1YW likes this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I see that here on several surplus UHF cavity amps, especially built for the military or federal agency such as the FAA such as at AM/6154 and 6155 dating into the 60-70's.

I dont know what is used for Eimac finger stock on my 3CX1000A7 2M amp and 8877 for 222 MHz.

Carl

15. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many alloys but at one time, many finger stock was composed of Beryllium Copper. It is a good conductor and has inherent springiness so a good contact is better guaranteed. The same as used as the finger contact with UHF front ends cover/caps on the little converter. There are also some of the same looking finger stock used on some PC board components today. But, whether Beryllium Copper or similar alloy is unknown to me. The is at the core of metallurgy.