ad: QSLWorks-1

Censured ARRL Director Dick Norton at the Yuma Hamfest on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen the same, and agree.

ND6M likes this.
  2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Organizations are golems. Left unsupervised, they invariably go rogue and become completely self interested. Constant vigilance is required. It's great to see that hams are working to reverse the trend toward this within ARRL. I agree that all directors who approved this, or went along to get along, should be voted out.

K8BZ, WD4IGX, ND1SU and 1 other person like this.
  3. K7NSW

K7NSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting opinion - hope nobody paid for it. It is all philosophy and no legal basis for any of it. HOA restrictions are contracts people enter into when they buy into a subdivision governed by deed covenants and restrictions - or some such name. What is allowed? What can you do? What can they do? Read the papers you signed at closing. All of these contracts are different so generalizations are of little value. What - you did not read the papers you signed? Or you did but disagreed and closed the purchase/sale anyway? Really? Hope you are smarter next time. And don't rely on anything this guy posted.

ND6M likes this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect you're responding without reading and understanding what was actually posted.

When there is a law that supersedes what any HOA contract says, it simply doesn't matter what any HOA contract says, regardless how often you read the papers before closing.

An HOA cannot enforce any rule written into any contract that is against the law.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    WU8Y likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, they can.
    Thats what judges are for.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're suggesting an HOA can discriminate against minorities because a judge says so.

Like I said if it's something illegal, the HOA can't enforce the rule.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Puleeze, that comment is just plain STUPID!

8. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Having watched this video 2 times now, and read all these comments and opinions, I can see why everyone is confused about so much. No he did not get the wording of the ARPA correct. That you can see just by reading the proposed legislation. And at this point it is just proposed and has not passed both houses nor signed by President and interpreted by the FCC.

But I think he got the gist of the matter close enough for discussion. It is far from a perfect proposal and if it does become law will leave a lot of wiggle room in some places. After a few court cases more of it will be settled. At least if it gets to that point we have something in writing to work with in future years.

I am much more concerned about N6AA's lack of detailed knowledge on most of the things he was asked and talked about. As a member of the Board of Directors, I would expect him to have clear yes/no information on many of these things. After all these are the people that we as ARRL members have elected to represent us and report back to us. (Still unclear how much reporting they can do before it is considered a no-no). But I am very encouraged by his openness and willingness to talk about whatever issues and ideas members came up with at this event. It is clear that many of the people asking questions or commenting on them really did need correct answers that Dick simply did not have. I hope that he watches this video and makes notes on the ideas and questions that came up. Then he has something concrete to go back to HQ and find out about and some positive input to make and see how it might work.

At least in Dick's area they have a Director who is involved and trying to be more involved with the membership. I am in the Southeast and our elected Director was removed from the Board, basically because he had the guts to speak his mind. He never publicly criticized or refused to follow Board decisions or policies. But when asked how he voted or what he thought about an issue was honest. As someone who voted for him I would expect nothing less. But he was replaced by someone the Board just picked and put in the Director position. The current, unelected Director, was never forthcoming in his talks at Hamfests when he was an elected Director before. Now that he is an appointed Director he is no better.

9. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting topic, makes me thankful I don't live in an HOA or have any deed restrictions here.

10. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  11. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

(b) Additional Requirements.—In amending its rules as required by subsection (a), the Commission shall—

(1) require any licensee in an amateur radio service to notify and obtain prior approval from a community association concerning installation of an outdoor antenna;

(2) permit a community association to prohibit installation of any antenna or antenna support structure by a licensee in an amateur radio service on common property not under the exclusive use or control of the licensee; and

(3) subject to the standards specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a), permit a community association to establish reasonable written rules concerning height, location, size, and aesthetic impact of, and installation requirements for, outdoor antennas and support structures for the purpose of conducting communications in the amateur radio services.

I believe para (b)(1) of the law says "notify and obtain prior approval" and (3) says they, the HOA establishes the "height, location, size, and aesthetic impact".
    What that means to me is a dipole or vertical that cannot be seen from the road.
    Anyone who thinks they are going to put up a tower will have a rude awakening. This law, as written, is not a boon for hams. The HOA's are laughing and reading about screwdriver antennas, dipoles, and Flagpole antennas. Their idea of what reasonable rules are is quite different from what ours might be. Good luck, if this ever passes.

12. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No one is perfect, but Dick is clearly trying. Much more than most of the Board. Let's give him credit for that.

As for the current version of the bill: Based on my limited exposure to HOAs (I would never buy in an area with one), it just begs them to interfere with hams and their operations. It would be a disaster for the hobby and would drastically impact hams' ability to contribute to public welfare and safety.

WD4IGX likes this.
  13. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeez, I feel very sorry for all you folks that live in HOA's. When we got our property that was exactly what we didn't want. So its a little five acre spread with our own well and septic. I have all the land I need for antennas if so desired. Neighbors...bah...AE across the road with his own antennas. There is something to be said for living in the country.

regards,

KM6PZQ

14. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

It is just SO heart-warming to see all of this compassion!
    AF4RK ;)

15. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed the point entirely. The HOA phenomenon comes to be the norm - everywhere - over time. Then you have no choice. It's a very strange world where the US sticks to carrying arms in case the Brits come back to tell them what to do, but are entirely happy to let some NIMBY HOA 'bigwigs' do precisely that. And I thought the US was 'the land of the free'!

W0PV likes this.