ad: Sussex-1

Fears Sweden's new driving regs may hit amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Drivers may activate or deactivate a function on the phone, but the Oregon Department of Transportation said that should be limited to a single touch or swipe."

2. WA5KW

WA5KW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is why you dont live in Oregon nor do you do any business there or even travel through there... Crazy liberal state like Cali...

KA5HSY

K1YYI and KK5R like this.
  3. N1JSM

N1JSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

as many of these hand held device laws exempt emergency service providers could a ham as a member of their state ARES/RACES unit be covered by the exemption ?

KK5R likes this.
  4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of people I knew in CA when I lived there retired and moved to NV but no one that I remember every moved to OR. I kept thinking of the old saying, "Ya sleep with dogs, you get fleas..." but NV destroys that idea. :)

I've lived in both CA and FL and the worst people in those two states are those who went there to "get theirs" and after a while, they found that it was not any easier to make it in those states than any other. Then they turned acid. Not all, but those who have a bad attitude are usually like this: Not native to the state. Overall, however, the hams I've known in any state I've been to or lived in have been almost 100% nice and decent people.

There is no paradise on earth.

5. KJ6ZD

KJ6ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was still in California, I carried a printed copy of that directive in my wallet, just in case.
    I moved to Arizona because of that, just kidding!
    A HAM buddy of mine in CA, said, it actually calmed down his aggressive driving after he got his ticket and was mostly on the mic while driving. No tickets, no accidents afterwards. Unfortunately he passed away, a stroke while at home, I miss the guy...
    Well, there is no helmet law for biker in Arizona and carrying a firearms concealed or open isn't against the law, I don't really hear much about violent crimes either?
    Some walk into a bank with holstered weapon, nobody even turns around....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    KK5R likes this.
  6. KJ6ZD

KJ6ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, over protective governments will mess it up. One day, we can own a refrigerator, pay taxes on the purchase, but can't use em, because of who knows what?

KK5R likes this.
  7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I am convinced that there are college dropouts that sit up nights dreaming of some scheme to get into the heads or wallets of people who walk the sidewalks and/or drive on the roads, anywhere there are masses of people. These weasels depend on people being so involved making money and paying taxes while depending on others to take care of things in government.

There will be a great awakening someday, me thinks. Those dropouts will then become the drop-ons. :D

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

"I had 2 rifles in cases in the back seat of my 4-runner and although my 10meter and 6 meter mounted GE Orion mobiles were turned off due to zero propagation an OSP TROOPER pulled me over as he claimed my antennas drew his attention.

Although he saw my rifles in the cases all his comments and interest was directed towards my mobile radios and my mobile GPS asking why I had these items and at no time did he even show interest in the guns only the electronic devices even after telling him where I was going when he questioned me as to why I had mobile radios and a mobile gps unit.

In the end he gave me a verbal warning about mobile Electronic devices pertaining to the Oregon Distracted driving law, even though the gps uses voice prompts he still lectured me as to not having the radios and the gps turned on while driving.

He claimed that in the future after a public awareness grace period expires no more warnings will be given and I may as well remove the antennas and mobile electronics as they are a magnet to future stops by OSP.

I'm sure glad that I didn't spend a lot of money on my mobile radios because in the end not using them mobile anymore won't be a big loss.
    Click to expand..."

I hope to receive word from FCC in the near future that will show that Oregon "storm" (er uh--state) trooper that my antennas are none of his damn business. I wonder what his reaction would be if I were responding directly to a USAF-directed mission under orders and he started ordering me NOT to use my radio, OR issued a ticket? How about I have HIM charged in a Federal court with interfering with a military emergency mission and hindering the response thereto?;) Betcha he'd sit up and take notice then! :)

Seriously, this has unforeseen consequences coming from well-meaning, but misinformed politicians. Certainly, states have every right to enact laws that curb actual and dangerous behaviors. However, the use of a mobile radio is no more "dangerous" than changing the A/C and does not warrant such onerous laws that do nothing to enhance safety OR further the goals of the Federal Government WRT amateur or commercial two way radio. Just two days ago I found it necessary to stop suddenly to avoid a driver emerging from a side street. She appeared not about to stop and had her "smart"(?) phone almost under her nose!:eek: Funny.......I've NEVER had to stop suddenly because someone had their mike up their nostrils!:D

KK5R likes this.
  9. KD7QZW

KD7QZW Ham Member QRZ Page

2 or more antennas on a car is probalprcouse to stop for anything trying to get
    DUI's drog trafictraff useing a elentronice device to comitca crime. ECT.ECT.
    It won't be long before you well NOT be aloud to have it in a car at all it's not about
    Safety! It's about control.

KK5R likes this.
  10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely the reason I am waiting for a ruling from FCC. I see a number of reasons why this issue is nothing but a smoke screen to cover up something else. During the "scanner issue" of the 80's-90's, cops were seizing lawfully licensed amateurs' radios calling them "scanners capable of receiving the po-leece". Bubba didn't like that. Now, 20 years hence, they STILL don't like it that amateurs and other users of two way radio can do so. Same idea: to exercise control over what we can hear, and prevent oversight of the cops' activities. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they now think dash cams are "dangerous" and the public shouldn't be able to record ole Bubba. A friend of mine recently got a ticket for "failure to move to the left" for an emergency/police vehicle. He has a dash vid of the whole incident. You see, in NC the law says that a vehicle must either slow down or move over for emergency vehicles on shoulder, as does most other states.
    Well, he slowed down but he could NOT move over because of traffic in the other lane. Trooper said he could've moved over. But he could not. Dash cam will prove him right! He IS fighting the ticket.:)

KK5R likes this.
  11. N8CMQ

N8CMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The person starting the post is a troll starting a flame war, he wants you to respond to his rant and have others do the same.

There is a good response to them;

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

In other words, don't respond to their drivel...

12. N2UIF

N2UIF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess they will be selling a lot of blue tooth mobile equipment

13. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

There are other respondents who have opened jup more lively topics of discussion and this alone is worthwhile reading. Sure, there are trolls lurking everywhere on the 'Net but they often incite some interesting "drivel" from others.