ad: CQMM-1

SOTA activation in Kentucky - Pine Mountain - A QRP Adventure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4ALF, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4ALF

W4ALF Ham Member QRZ Page

A short video we took a multi-day backpacking trip last June to Eastern Ky for a first time SOTA (Summits on the Air) activation of Pine Mountain [Designator W4K/EC014]. Modes operated were CW and SSB.
    There was much adventure to be had, sign of bears, hiking, qrp fun!

Ham Equipment used:
    W4ALF
    RIG: KX2
    ANT: 66FT OCF QRP Dipole

AI4BJ
    RIG: KX3
    ANT: Random Wire/Sloper

de W4ALF (Christian Bravo) es AI4BJ (Mark Volstad)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
    KC5JSR, K6CIM, N9PBD and 8 others like this.
  2. W9CDK

W9CDK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't handle the vertical video...
    WHY was it filmed this way?

Looks like a nice activation though. I can't wait for things to warm up here so I can get out in the woods again...

N8QIO and KC8TMW like this.
  3. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

I grew up in Whitesburg and lived at Mayking. Nice to see the area again. Thanks for the video.

KK5R and K9EZ like this.
  4. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks Like a lot of fun, going to try some SOTA activity here in the Reno Nv area this spring.

K9EZ likes this.
  5. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope this sets a trend for the area. I went to Natural Bridge State Park in Kentucky back in the early '70's, it's in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Eastern KY, and set up an HW-7 with a 40M dipole and before I made the first contact, a ranger came in and ran me off saying that they didn't allow that in the park. I am forest wise, had no fire and my sons were running around in the trees having a grand time. Looking back at it, I should have gone to the ranger station or contacted the state authorities and let them know what ham radio is all about. Setting up in the forest, I was about 1/4 mile away from the road on a small dirt road and then off into the trees. No digging was done and the antenna was hanging head high from the branches of a couple of trees with nylon string that was removed entirely and when we left, no mark was left to show we'd even been there.

Some of the "don't feed the squirrels" purists who always smugly pretend to know more than the rest of us would like it better if NO ONE went to the forests and disturbed their little friends. I get to laugh at them and their lack of insight into the rest of the world. They lump everyone into their little ridiculous basket.

What disturbs me most is the strip mines in E KY that have been shut down for decades have been fenced and gated so no one can visit them unless you find a back door into them. They are primo for hill-topping operations. Why do they lock people out? Ask them and they will get in your face and say, "It's my land and I don't want anyone on it." Meanwhile, they improve the roads and keep the property open for their purposes while it sits idle and even animals are scarce. If they only knew that they could charge entry fees for campers of their choosing to go there and enjoy the land while they made some coin, it would be better for everyone. It seems that it always takes small minds to accomplish small things.

I hope to get to some hilltop and operate portable later this year. I am glad to see others have also done it. It adds a lot to the hobby.

KN4NO, AE7BT, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    K9EZ and KK5R like this.
  7. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, Not sure I'd have stayed overnight with the bears in the area though!

To see a summit more visually (maps and satellite) - the SOTA Mapping Project site is extremely useful: https://www.sotamaps.org/

73 Ed.

KD2BDA, KC8VWM and KK5R like this.
  8. VE2WTX

VE2WTX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea on that water filter. Be aware of ticks after sitting on the ground and camping in the forest they can transmit lime disease.
    Thanks for the Sota qso !
    Eric
    VA2MO / VE2WTX.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the ranger at a big fishing lake in Daniel Boone National Forrest, one brown bear had been sighted last year at another park location. Bears usually avoid people unless they have been fed or figure that where there are people, there is food. They are usually like snakes and other forrest critters where if you make enough noise, you'll never see them.

The advice about ticks is extremely important. If there is a repellent, then by all means use it. It's cheap insurance. Avoid walking through tall weeds preferring rocky areas is also a good practice. Ticks are usually picked up by animals and clothing by going through weeds and other tall vegetation.

10. W9MRH

W9MRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job you guys. I don't remember chasing you on that one, sorry I missed you. 73 & I hope to catch you on another one.

KK5R likes this.
  11. W4ALF

LOL. Sorry, it was done with an iphone while backpacking. I'll keep that in mind on my next trip to colorado. I'm new to the video thing. :)
    de W4ALF

12. W4ALF

Thanks for the reply. The video is meant to inspire those to go out and work portable and check out their local area. I also went to red river gorge and it is a wonderful place to backpack and operate SOTA style. de W4ALF

KK5R likes this.
  13. W4ALF

Thanks for the reply. The video is meant to inspire those to go out and work portable and check out their local area. I also went to red river gorge and it is a wonderful place to backpack and operate SOTA style. de W4ALF.
    Below is Red River Gorge in the Fall...Somewhere near Indian Staircase

KK5R likes this.
  14. W4ALF

KC8VWM likes this.
  15. W4ALF

It was last June. We posted on SOTA alert. next trip is most likely Colorado. I will be posting on SOTA alert sometime soon! de w4alf

http://www.sotawatch.org/alerts.php

N9PBD likes this.