ad: portazero-1

Censured ARRL Director Dick Norton at the Yuma Hamfest on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to Mr. Lisenco's talk last night. While I didn't find it as offensive as some have I do see some issues with his approach. He doesn't seem to understand that as a representative of a population of hams he needs to have multiple channels of communications open with them. He appears to dismiss inputs from his constituents which he does not agree with. Like it or not even as a volunteer his job is to represent the views of his constituents. It's also interesting that he says he is only going to listen to those in his district but then says most matters are national. His defense of his board proposal and lack of communication to members shows he doesn't value their inputs but tends to walk his own path. He could have simply written up a paper presenting his thoughts and solicited comment prior to presenting it to the board. I think the Hudson Division can do better in finding a director that promotes their interests.

I'm new to ARRL but I'm certainly going to pay attention to how my division director performs.

W1YW likes this.
  2. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup, they're excellent publishers! Very few ham and non ham can out-publish them.

That IS their primary business you know.

de NK2U

KM1H likes this.
  3. AD6WR

AD6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great presentation and very informative! AD6WR

4. AD6WR

AD6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great presentation and very informative! AD6WR

5. KE7VSR

KE7VSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think HOA'a are out of control and should only be able to say for the common property; after all its your home not theirs'. As for censure the board should ashamed, freedom of speech, even if you disagree and/or if your opinion is/has errors; please wait for the law to become law and the court challenges too see what we(hams') get.

K3RW likes this.
  6. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I almost forgot.I sure do enjoy my current (10) outdoor antennas & may even put up a few more because I can.I just laugh when I see those who signed an HOA contract not permitting them an outside antenna who then come to a forum like this & cry about it & screaming for someone else too fix their bed while they are laying in it. LOL I say,deal with it & get yourself a good mobile setup & make the best of what you got yourself into & STOP CRYING like a spoiled 2 year old.Changing the rules in the middle of this game is unfair to the neighbors who live next door whom were told they would NEVER have any antennas across the privacy fence or staring at them from the dining room table or out their living room window.Why is it fair that they lose their own rights which were signed for in that same HOA Contract? I see lots of days in the courts for so many & lots of very expensive lawyers fees on both sides so I guess that helps the local economy with all of that cash flow right? LOL Well please continue in the speculation because that's all anyone can do for now.I must get to assembling the New 8 Element 2 Meter Cubex Quad so when my antenna/tower man is available he can get it in the air for me.Don't forget,be Very Very Careful what you sign because it can make having a QSO very very difficult but it will be all your own fault so don't come here crying like so many others before you when you have been warned! 73 :);):oops::D:p

Clayton
    W4KVW

7. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To answer your question I don't have any problem with my QST magazine on any of my devices. When I travel I pre-download the magazine and read it on the plane without any issue.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They may not get your pun at the end there;-)

9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams, by virtue of a LICENSE, should never have to waive their right to participate in a licensed privilege, no matter who writes the contracts. Limits for safety reasons make sense (no 100ft towers in a condo community). But aesthetics is as subjective as it gets. That's why HR555 is problematic. One HOA view of reasonable will be different than another.

I don't like those stick figure family stickers people put on the rear car windows. Should I plead it distracts from the neighborhood aesthetics? What about your Seahawks sticker?

Nobody has said it yet, but how about a HOA that prohibits gun ownership. Or your right to drive a green car. Or put political signs. Call it aesthetics.

But what it really about is control. Where safety is a legitimate concern I am sympathetic. But aesthetics, that's a basket of trouble.

With all the Part 15 devices screwing up weak signal UHF and above, I'm not overly sympathetic to wanting to accomodate the wants of everyone else in this regard. We run filters, do the best we can, and when we screw up we are accountable. That is what we signed up for when we got licensed. I'd rather protect a ham who wants to do it right than a CBer with a don't care attitude. But an antenna makes no such distinctions.

If you don't like my antenna, but its not going to fall on your property, buzz off. No contract should be valid that limits my right to participate in a legal, licensed activity.

Wait until they start checking attics and rain gutters for stealth antennas, to eliminate RFI.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So any confidential information not intended for public dissemination as discussed inside the board rooms across America should be considered free speech.

Wonder if GM will disclose to everyone in the public what's being said at their board meetings too...

After all, there shouldn't be censuring of any GM executives because I pay their salaries and own one of their cars, so this means I have the right to know everything said at their board meetings.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    WU8Y likes this.
  11. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Because you bought one of their cars no, if you are a shareholder, and especially, if they seem to be going in a direction that a lot of their shareholders either don't approve of, or don't understand, then yes.

K3KIC likes this.
  12. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Could someone inform a poor man from 'Old Europe'?

I notice someone posted the HOA could only 'do something' if:

"an antenna...exceeds the HOA's written guidelines"

If they are merely guidelines, does that mean they are not definitive and thus not quite as enforceable in the breach as some might think?

Thanks,
    J.

13. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but the HOA-like phenomenon, which is predicated on one, very narrow view of what a home and its environment should 'look like', tends to become dominant and choice diminishes. That can't be a good thing.

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

HOA's can only write "guidelines" from a safety and aesthetics perspective. They can't write specific antenna installation instructions for every antenna made.

It's not possible to nail Jello to a wall which is what some people would like the HOA wording to do. That explains why they're called "guidelines."

15. KB6DX

KB6DX QRZ Lifetime Member #211 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe it's time to have a complete change of the Board of Directors, as a life member I feel I should be able to get answers from any board member on any subject concerning ARRL activities!!!

MW1CFN, K8BZ and W0DHG like this.