ad: wmr-1

Censured ARRL Director Dick Norton at the Yuma Hamfest on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If nothing else, it seems clear that the only thing "everyone else" agrees on is that breathing is good for you :) Other than that, I have no idea what the majority agrees on, I doubt anyone does. 99 plus pct of the general population probably don't care at all, I imagine the vast majority of people who choose to live in HOAs would be just as happy to never see an outdoor antenna, and I'm guessing even the majority of active Hams wouldn't know ARPA from DARPA. What is relevant to me is the opinion of legal professionals in the field, and those who understand the reality of National level Politics. I suspect they aren't part of your "everyone else."

2. KL7SB

Dick Norton has a reputation for being a "thorn in the side" to the folks who have created the problems with the current League BOD, at least in part due to ARPA, so this discussion is natural in that context.

3. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you know people like me breathing??? Did you conduct a Poll? Look into a Crystal Ball??? ESP maybe???

KL7SB and KC8VWM like this.
  4. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe (I used a Crystal Ball) that Dick Norton and Mike Lisenco are both good people that feel strongly about Amateur Radio, they just don't get along very well........ That's it, NO Mystery, it is what it is......

NL7W likes this.
  5. KL7SB

Occam's Razor is a good thing.

NL7W likes this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad that that is not at all what the bill actually says ...

Why in all of that did you not quote the part of the bill that actually defines "community association" ? Oh ... because it cancels out your entire argument !

The bill's definition of "community association" is exactly (part of) the problem. The CAI lawyers were very clever in having it defined the way it is.

Have you ever actually read the whole thing objectively ?

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick gives a very nice overview of the issues that the board has finally acknowledged. Its in the talk: he discusses HR555 about 3/4 into this video.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I got it right. Go read.

One of the really stupid things about this HR555 wording is that if you had worded (1) properly (albeit still awkwardly)--for example, say "CONCERNED WITH" rather than "CONCERNING", then we probably would not need to discuss HR555 at all.

The first deals with the execution of a subject; the latter refers to a subject. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Read it and weep-------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amendment Of FCC Rules.—.......

(b) Additional Requirements.—In amending its rules as required by subsection (a), the Commission shall—

(1) require any licensee in an amateur radio service to notify and obtain prior approval from a community association concerning installation of an outdoor antenna;

(2) permit a community association to prohibit installation of any antenna or antenna support structure by a licensee in an amateur radio service on common property not under the exclusive use or control of the licensee; and

(3) subject to the standards specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a), permit a community association to establish reasonable written rules concerning height, location, size, and aesthetic impact of, and installation requirements for, outdoor antennas and support structures for the purpose of conducting communications in the amateur radio services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION.—The term “community association” means any non-profit mandatory membership organization composed of owners of real estate described in a declaration of covenants or created pursuant to a covenant or other applicable law with respect to which a person, by virtue of the person’s ownership of or interest in a unit or parcel, is obligated to pay for a share of real estate taxes, insurance premiums, maintenance, improvement, services, or other expenses related to common elements, other units, or any other real estate other than the unit or parcel described in the declaration.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    NL7W likes this.
  9. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only people this language of ARPA will clearly help, are those who's CA already has language prohibiting radio transmissions. There are a few of those, but frankly there are other ways of dealing with that problem.

Otherwise, if this becomes law, everything else will have to be slugged out in court, one HOA at a time, antenna-by-antenna. And amateurs will already be starting in the hole, just because of the way the bill is actually worded.

K0IDT, KL7SB and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As I can fully attest, just because some people can be a pain in the %%% doesn't mean they aren't correct, and working for the benefit of everyone else.

Sometimes there are people who push through reality despite the censure that entails.

;-)

KL7SB likes this.
  11. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

.....Gonna knock you right on the head.....:D

W1YW likes this.
  12. KL7SB

Sooooo gotta ask. Independent of how one feels about Mr. Norton or Mr. Lisenco, with more of the information now out in public, is there anyone left who thinks Mr. Licenco's approach of, "You are either with us, or you aren't going to be on the BOD, whatever it takes" was valid or ethical, or who thinks the people who got up in arms about it were mistaken? This is an honest question, not a troll.

W3JY/SK2022 likes this.
  13. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

My neighborhood is now considering new restrictions in face of "overwhelming federal regulations". Gee, thanks a lot ARPA. :(

14. KL7SB

Oh c'mon, I think ARPA is a waste, but it doubt it has anything to do with ARPA, and more about the never ending quest to avoid litigation.

WU8Y likes this.
  15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Think on the bright side... you could move to "bush" Alaska to escape the BS, Chip!
    I did so for 23 years... loved it.

W1YW and M0REU like this.