ad: elecraft

Yaesu FT-818 -- The FT-817ND Replacement Available Soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. BG9BKM

BG9BKM Ham Member QRZ Page

:)
    Very beautiful

2. PA1TNO

PA1TNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly my thoughts. I hope there is more to it. A speech processor for instance...

3. W6GMT

W6GMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Little early for an April's fool joke.
    Yaesu you can do better. Down to one Yaesu rig in the shack for the first time in 10 years. They just keep missing the mark. I have had several FT-817 rigs over the years, have used them for Satellites, VHF contesting and just everyday hamming. The most missed feather NOAA radio reception. for a portable backpack camping rig this is unaccusable. There is a KX2 sitting on the desk of the shack. I will purchase a KX3 with 2 meter's with not much more cost after you add the cost of the FT-818 plus the tuner.

4. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

buy an 857 and turn the power down

K9KXW, N6SPP, EB1BSV and 5 others like this.
  5. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In two months they will come out with the 818ND-Mark V that will include all of the short-comings that have been previously mentioned.
    The extra watt has got to be there to make up for tuner/transmission line lose so you get a true 5 watts to the antenna :)-
    Sounds like it is going to use more battery to do the same old job so it must weigh more than the 817, bummer.
    Any new radio coming into the market these days should not need any add-on devices of any kind.
    Very disappointing!

73 de W6LDX

K5WW and K0PIR like this.
  6. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd really like to know if this is the real deal?! Guess I'll have to wait for Yaesu as well...

7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why I shop "elsewhere" and SO GLAD I just ordered my KX2. AND...FOUR hyper-links...FOR WHAT?!? This is NOTHING MORE than CLICK BAIT advertisement!

Thanks for the NON information just the same though! Reminded me I need to order something from HRO.

8. W5FUY

W5FUY Ham Member QRZ Page

You got it right. What planet do these people live on? Where is the full color screen, the full if output, the 10-15 watts out, the waterfall, the full line of dsp filters? All of this is now easy using available code and cheap processors. Little or no r and d. The entire industry has moved on from this old technology, and the best they can do is upgrade their pcb. My self-upgraded original 817 using third-party components is far superior to this 818 in every way. As wonderful as this radio has been, it must evolve or die, and it looks like the latter will be the case. David W5FUY

9. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to look at the calendar to make sure it was not April 1st
    The FT-817 series was a trailblazer, but man, it's "Long in the Tooth" at this point.
    Tired display, about useless internal battery, yada yada yada.
    Yaesu needs to get with it.

WA6JFK

10. WB2QWH

WB2QWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Yaesu missed the boat with the 818. They should have increased power to at least 10 to 15 watts and upgraded technology by adding DSP, made it an SDR radio and perhaps included direct sampling. Not worth purchasing . I will stick with my Icom 703 Plus and Ten Tec Argonaut V.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    AG7JQ, EB1BSV and KJ4PBW like this.
  11. WA4EE

WA4EE Ham Member QRZ Page

6W out? That has to be a typo. What do you change to only gain 1 extra watt? If you can't be heard at 5w, you're not going to be heard at 6w either...LMAO

WB2QWH likes this.
  12. K8TDN

K8TDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I will invest in filters and other items for my current radios and still be ahead of the curve on money spent. Still don't see a reason to purchase...may get an LNR LD_4

13. KA3YAN

KA3YAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Bwahahahahahaha!!!! I came here to say the same things everyone else is saying. What a failure on the part of Yaesu!

I'm sure there will be Yaesu fanboys who will buy it, but no one with any lick of common sense would touch this radio.

EA2EKH and EB1BSV like this.
  14. VE2ZQ

VE2ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its not april 1st yet. This thing not legit , I mean I hope its not.

15. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page