ad: Alphaant-1

Censured ARRL Director Dick Norton at the Yuma Hamfest on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRN 391 Poster Dick 250.jpg
    Dick Norton N6AA, the ARRL SW Division Director, is at the center of the dust-up (Firestorm?) at the ARRL Board of Directors. He's the director who was censured in a special Board Meeting last fall for what the Board said were inappropriate comments at the Visalia DX convention the previous spring. He's also the Director that Hudson Division Director Mike Lisenco N2YBB said was partly responsible for a 'toxic environment' at the League. Lisenco's comments came during a Hudson Division web Town Hall in early 2018, with a link from this QRZ.com discussion. (Note that the audio recording of that webinar is pretty bad, but it's also pretty interesting if you can tough it out.)

In this HamRadioNow episode, Dick Norton discussed his censure and the ARRL Board Code of Conduct, among other things, at the ARRL Forum at the Yuma AZ Hamfest in February. HamRadioNow's host David Goldenberg W0DHG recorded the session.

1 person likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

With due respect, I hear no toxicity in Dick's talk, and yes, I listened to the whole thing. I found the discussion factual and almost devoid of any personal bias.

Actually, a good assessment of the board meeting it would seem, and the issues facing the ARRL and Part 97, including HR555.

N4POD, W7MY, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I found some of his comments pertaining to ARPA to be inaccurate and not factual.

For example, "getting permission" to install an antenna at an HOA is not a factual statement.

The law is your "permission."

Providing "notification" to an HOA of your intention to install an antenna would be a factual statement, but that isn't what was said.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    W5ENU, WU8Y and (deleted member) like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe Dick is paraphrasing K1VR's comments, probably worth checking K1VR's web posting. It can be found on the 'Zed.

Dick wasn't reading from a script and talked for over 90 minutes. Surely that entitles him a certain amount of slack.

Chip W1YW

NU4R likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

And tell us, just how much "slack" did you cut the ARRL when the took appropriate action and censured Dick Norton when he made comments that were clearly out of line? Don't bother to respond, we already know the answer.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume you mean 'they', not 'the'....

Typical, IMO, fascist-type comment John. You should know better. Assertion along with denial of response-- So doeth Il Duce...

A: Quite a bit. Clearly Dick cut them slack when he dropped the episode, don't you think?

Go read my posts. You might learn something.

What do you make out of these 97 minutes, John?

Chip W1YW

K0IDT, KD6UQA, K6RWM and 3 others like this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like quibbling over any differences between "getting permission" and seeking "prior approval", the latter being the verbiage in the ARRL published ARPA FAQ.

http://www.arrl.org/amateur-radio-parity-act

AE0P and W1YW like this.
  8. KC8VWM

Not exactly.

There would already be prior approval and it's called the law.

At one points in the video, (If you actually did watch it) you will note he mentions that an HOA can "suspend" that so-called permission indefinitely.

That's not what I would term as quibbling" over semantics. It's plain wrong and inaccurate information.

Besides the idea that you do not need the HOAs "permission", the HOA would also have no such legal authority to "indefinitely suspend" anything whatsoever for that matter. It would be illegal for them to do anything like that.

If ARPA is law, they "must" accommodate antennas.

WU8Y and NL7W like this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Piedmont Airlines!?!? I worked for Piedmont! 1981 until...the PIT POS took over. Then just "hung out" with whomever was signing my paycheck until 2012.

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

But the time scale for decision is not defined, and therefore it can be out off for years, decades. You know this.

MW1CFN and N0GB like this.
  11. KC8VWM

There's no decision to be made.

Antennas are installed according to HOA's "written" guidelines.

These guidelines are predefined and written in advance of anyone's antenna installation.

All the HOA would do is ensure your antenna is installed according to these HOA guidelines.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The only time an HOA would be able to say anything is if you:

#1 Didn't notify them per ARPA.

#2 Installed an antenna that exceeds the HOA's written guidelines for the installation of outdoor antennas.

Other than that, they have no other say in the matter.

WU8Y and N6MEJ like this.
  12. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A 5-inch whip on your handi-talkie is all that one needs based on the wording. That "accommodates" all that one needs based on ARPA. Not exactly what we really need.

.............Bob

N4POD likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing that a priori requires an HOA to have 'pre-defined' guidelines on antennas from HR555. For example: HR555 fails to define an " effective outdoor antenna". Note AN as in ----ONE----.

EACH HOA may argue that they seek expertise to answer that question, and pass on the charges to the applicant, only to discover that one or more antenna manufacturers have previously been deposed to show that a six inch whip meets the mission of Part 97. For example, DMR on 440 MHZ allows the applicant to 'relay' to the desired station for international goodwill; emergency communication; and invites exploration of enhancing the radio art thru network modelings.

Indeed, such relays are an integral part of ham radio, right? Hence the 'American Radio RELAY League'.

Think....about...that.

Not all antenna manu's are ham-friendly, or, at least, sympathetic. Their opinion may sell us down the river. I have been working with others to formulate a factual response that shows the canonical six inch whip FAILS to enable the mission of Part 97. More on that later, when needed.

HOA's may easily decide what to 'explore' with respect to the applicant's proposed antenna , starting at the time of application, and can make ad -hoc efforts that 'delay but not prevent'.

Delays can be extended, essentially denying accessibility in a practical way.

Chip W1YW

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A HOA "stalling indefinitely " is an issue also raised in the official ARRL ARPA FAQ with an ambiguous and evasive response.

N6AA doesn't claim the scenario as a fact, he says, simply and clearly at 37:27, that it is "pointed out as a possible negative".

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bob.

It seems to help when others say it.

Chip W1YW

N0GB likes this.