ad: elecraft

ARRL Hudson Division webinar recording

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a link to an audio recording of the "Town Hall" webinar held recently online by the ARRL Hudson Division Director N2YBB.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0JIfxE5dKFb

The track begins already a few moments into an opening statement by N2YBB. Topics include the N6AA censure and K3RF election disqualification. Eventually the session turns into a Q&A with a few participating members. Questions include ARPA and dismissal of the K1VR opinion, and EMCOMM issues.

Don't expect to hear all those call signs explicitly, read between the lines. What I hear is an irrational bullyish push-back, based on characterizations of source not factual arguments, that conclude as non conciliatory if not outright dismissal of positions expressed in the recent public outcry calling for the League to institute more transparent inclusive management and respectful communication with concerned, talented and credentialed membership.

This apparently could be an example of the majority attitude of the ARRL Board and Executive management today.

What say you?

73, John, WØPV

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    N2SUB and K7VZ like this.
  2. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

This audio is horrible. Unlistenable IMHO. No offence.

NK2U likes this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened as far as I could. Evidently this man is angry, and feels he's being abused. "I'm married with children, if I wanted abuse I'd stay home". He also believes that there is a "Toxic work environment" in Newington and with the board of directors. If the ARRL is that bad in his oppinion, why doesn't he QUIT! There's a vice director in his division for just such an occasion. Go home and work on your relationship issues, because your family is more important than your hobby, especially if you think the hobby is TOXIC.

But no, that's not the conclusion this scholar drew. He decided that he knew what was best for everyone and said of the Code of Conduct, "We obviously needed to develop a set of protocols that created guidelines that taught the behaviors you need to conduct yourself as adults". Obviously?? I'm not so sure.

If it's that bad, resign and go home to your family. Work on your relationship skills. Don't project your anger and impose your will onto the entire organization with no input from the membership. If this is a sample of the arrogance and over-inflated sense of self-worth on the BoD, it's time for them all to go. Until then, don't expect a renewal from me. And don't be surprised if the membership numbers go down. It's not all about you.

NN4RH likes this.
  4. K7VZ

K7VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He stated in several different ways that the input and opinion of ARRL members means nothing to him. He is clearly the toxic person who needs to be removed from being director.

NN4RH likes this.
  5. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a useable copy of it. Not sure where to upload it to, but I can email / share to anyone who drops me a note. It's one of those trainwrecks, you think you probably should not pay attention but you can't help yourself. My comment on it, to another group ..,

"That was just painful to listen to, and that is one sad feckless excuse of a human being. *TOXIC ENVIRONMENT*, "I'm married with children, if I wanted abuse I'd stay home." "I don't get paid for this mishegas", hints at sexual harassment issues at HQ with zero to back it, and a general attitude of "I had a great plan in place, and you folks f**cked it up" Also, color me unimpressed with the ongoing references to multiple graduate degrees, and communications skills. Dude, you are a bit actor, with a life highlight of giving incoherent testimony on a bill you can't get passed, that is getting torpedoed by the folks you claim to represent. On the achievement scale, that ranks up there with meeting Elvis Presley Third Cousin, once removed. After all of that, *his* remarks about N6AA were way over the top. I've lost track of what parts of the CoC remain in effect and which aren't, but it's hard to believe Norton has said *anything* as bad as Lysenco just did. I wonder if a recall attempt there would be worth it? I doubt it would win, but it might help push him to the door, if he has to fight that as well as a reelection bid. There is some serious mental health issue happening there. I'll give him credit for one thing though. He's dropped any pretense of not being the "ringleader" for the people on the BOD who decided they just needed to run things for themselves. No more having to guess who is the main cause of the toxicity. He needs to go asap.
    Manage

W4ABC, NN4RH, KB2SMS and 4 others like this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of playing through a browser, download the file (down arrow next to volume control, 50MB) and use a stand-alone player app native on PC or device. Provide's easier playback position control too.

7. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The recording has to be one of the worst I've heard in quite some time. Edison's original recording was clearer than that!

I got nothing out of this, I only understood bits and pieces...

de NK2U

8. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried the MP3 and WAV files and still unlistenable. I don't have a player for the other two that are listed.

I'm sure what he said was important but it hurt my ears trying to decipher what he was trying to say.

de NK2U

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. KG2C

KG2C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my recording of the webinar that I recorded with Audacity. You can just play it in your web browser or download it.
    The webinar stream itself had a constant loud hum, coming from Mike's microphone. I haven't tried removing it yet but it was pretty annoying to listen to.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback on the audio quality. Thanks also to Steve KL7SB for forwarding me another copy of the same file as my original source (whom I thank again). Comparing showed me Voocaroo processing added weird artifacts. So I converted the file to MP4 video and uploaded it to YouTube. Seems much more clear but the low level hum KG2C noted is now noticeable.

KB2SMS likes this.
  11. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tough going with poor audio, though it improves a bit as it goes on. Twenty minutes in, just up to the first question, my impression of N2YBB is overwhelmingly positive. His comments are calm, well reasoned and insightful.

He gives significant background to several of the major issues, and internal conflicts within HQ leadership. He discusses the outrageous behavior and toxic environment created by a director [N6AA?] which is specifically why the Code of Conduct was created, and why he was censured.

IMO, If the board had been more open with this information, the upheaval might have been prevented. He discusses why this was not so; the problem with actual and threatened legal action from disgruntled members, staff and former CEO candidates has made directors and leadership reluctant to make any public statements.

[added] Again, only 20 minutes in, I see NO hint of disdain for members, or the opinions of members which are based in fact. He recounts a number of instances of abusive emails directed at him, mindless 'piling on" by members (including a close personal friend) who did not even read the error filled and abusive emails they forwarded to him.

N2YBB outlines his perceived need to create several "National At-Large" directorships to give the membership greater voice in management outside the present regional structure.

Mentions that there a number of enthusiastic and well qualified members with sound ideas who want to develop/lead programs but are hindered by current HQ structure (I am unclear what this problem is).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    NT6AA likes this.
  12. NT6AA

NT6AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent recording by KG2C. Much better than the other recordings.

NK2U likes this.
  13. NT6AA

NT6AA Ham Member QRZ Page

After listening to the recording a couple of things stand out:
    1) Rather unprofessional conduct through out. Obscenity, suggesting he can get abuse at home. Dismissive attitude toward members.
    2) Argument by generalization, Director Lysenco; I wrote my entire message to the board without consulting the "ARRL voices" website. Thanks for reading it. One guy you know cut and pasted, therefore they all cut and pasted. Maybe a lot of us said the same things, because they were true.
    3) Lack of specificity, kind of like tell a lie and keep telling it, never defend always attack!
    4) Does not believe i the necessity of transparency.
    5) If we accept his vision.... why is he there? He should go home.

I judge the person only upon all the evidence I have on hand. I am sorry your statements about the "censured individual" are 180 degrees out of phase with the the person I know.

I was holding high hopes after the board meeting that this nonsense would settle down. If Mike is a fair sample of the board I would say nothing has changed.

NN4RH, NK2U, KL7SB and 1 other person like this.
  14. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, to each their own, and of course we all hear things through our own confirmation bias, but I don't see how you heard much other than anger, resentment, and condescension in those first twenty minutes. As far as N6AA, everyone has to work with people who they find difficult. I don't know either Mr. Lysenco or Mr. Norton, other than by reputation. Mr. Norton could well be difficult, but he also has a long accomplished history in this hobby and in professional life. Mr. Lysenco appears to enjoy using Yiddish terms (and I can't blame him, Yiddish rocks!), but he comes off as a "kvetchy alter cocker nudnik"

W4ABC likes this.
  15. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike Lisenco is spot on in terms of describing the need for halting all the divisive conflict and animosity occurring between everyone. This includes both the organization and it's membership for that matter. I think he's just telling the truth and describing the cold reality of how it is. Basically what I got from this is everyone is at each other throats and it's getting ridiculous.

Quite frankly, he's right and I have to agree with him.

Everyone needs to start treating one another in a more collegial manner if harmony and forward thinking progress is the future expectation of the organization. He's also right about the idea that everyone in the leadership needs to be on the same page in Newington when it comes to getting the job done. This is the reason why there's a code of conduct in the first place. Adopting policies like this for directors and others in the organization to publicly position themselves to support any organisational decisions as they are voted on is the right thing to do. Obviously, ongoing disagreement and conflict occurring between everyone in the leadership within the organization is never going to achieve anything but a hostile and non productive environment. This sort of thing is true regardless what kind of organization it might be.

I also think there needs to be more strategic communication occurring with the membership on some important key issues before anything should occur and Mr. Lisenco did listen and acknowledge that.

Moving forward, I think everyone involved in both the membership and the organization has some soul searching to do.

N0TZU, WJ4U and KA0HCP like this.