ad: Mountaingoat-1

NBC Story on Amateur Radio in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Feb 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

From NBC Left Field:

During the false missile alert NBC was doing an online story about Amateur Radio in Hawaii and the effects of an EMP, Electromagnetic Pulse.

Hawaii’s recent false nuclear missile alert showed us how reliant we are on cell phones and modern technology—and how unprepared we are if they become inaccessible. But in case the unexpected happens, an unlikely group of hobbyists—ham radio operators—are standing at the ready and may save us all.

You can view the story here.

https://hamradiohawaii.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/nbc-story-on-amateur-radio-in-hawaii/

VE3HJL, K1KDX, KE4VIF and 9 others like this.
  2. W1ZY

W1ZY Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the better pieces I've seen. Younger journalists appear to "get it".

KM4SII, WA4CIF, VE3EEI and 1 other person like this.
  3. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a good story, and accurate too. Now if they could only bring that quality and accuracy to the rest of the NBC network, they might have a product that the American people could trust again.

W8KIC, KU4NJ, N2ECW and 8 others like this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good thing I already knew this really happened, otherwise, considering it was an NBC story, I would still have been in doubt.

W3KKO, N0YPD, W8TZ and 5 others like this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. We should temper our enthusiasm considering NBC just LOVES North Korea.

W8KIC, W8TZ, W6ERM and 3 others like this.
  6. W9IND

W9IND Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice reporting -- and I don't say that very often when it comes to media stories about ham radio.

The only other point I would have added is that 35,000 of us practice our emergency skills once a year on Field Day. But that doesn't detract from the overall story, which was very accurate and respectful to our hobby.

Best of all, it's easy for the non-ham to understand, which is why I plan to link to this story when sending out 2018 Field Day publicity and explaining our hobby to the uninitiated. It provides a stark reminder of why amateur radio still matters in the 21st century, and how older citizens can still make a difference.

Brian, W9IND

K5WW, WA4CIF and VE3EEI like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In-place, dedicated, enablers of the vital link. That is who we are.

The best recent example of that is Herb Perez, KK4DCX, who single handedly handled over 4000 pieces of H&W and emergency traffic from SAN GERMAN PUERTO RICO in the days after the Maria disaster.

Truly--and I don't say this lightly--when ALL else fails, its amateur radio.

It's not just a catch phrase.

;-)

Chip W1YW

KD0WXT, W0PV, WA4CIF and 2 others like this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still think "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS" is the perfect explanation.

W8KIC and K8PG like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's the original social media..."

YEP!

W8KIC likes this.
  10. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

What do the EMCOMM hams do to protect their equipment from a nuke's EMP? Is it standard procedure to keep backup equipment in a Faraday cage? If not I then this will need to be addressed by the EMCOMM community as the apparent rogue nation nuclear attack threat scenario continues to increase in terms of both increased chances of being hit due to improving missiles and guidance technologies and increasing warhead yields that they are developing.

W5GLO and (deleted member) like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's when the OOTC DX'er guys pull out all their "hollow state" Boat Anchor rigs :cool:

The ham radio equivalent of the final act in "Battleship",

The BEST scene IMO, brings chills down my back ... "Thunder!" :D

73, John, WØPV

KC8VWM, WW0W and W6ERM like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

EMP , much caused by the Compton effect, happens on time scales of micro to milliseconds, so , as you surmise, lighting arresters would not work. Tube, and SOME discrete component solid state rigs are fairly robust against EMP, without Faraday cages. But any kind of global shielding works to some degree, that is, put it in a foil lined box. Also, keep in mind that EMP is subject to multipath, as all RF is. Thus there will places of nulls and enhancements. You see the same thing with local lightning strikes.

I keep a KWM2 here in case it is ever needed.

WW0W likes this.
  13. KU8L

KU8L Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly...the story led off with the EMP angle---then they showed all the guys using SS equipment. EMP proof generally points to tube technology. Not a bad story, just a little misleading I think.

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I say bring it on !

I have the same radio equipment in my shack as they used aboard Mighty Mo...

download.jpeg

p1a_2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    W1YW and W0PV like this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My generator has no SS and I believe the alternator that turns over the gas engine in motor mode from the battery are all somewhat EMP proof as is the CE-100V and 75A4 that is always ready to go on CW, SSB, and even AM.

Enough gas is available for several weeks of very intermittent use but it could get rather chilly under extreme cold! It is regularly replenished by fueling vehicles and the lawn tractors. Power outages from hours to weeks are the norm in this rural area.

OTOH there are several holes in that plan:eek::rolleyes:

Carl