ad: wmr-1

Bouvet Aborted

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA1BSZ, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an avid DX'er myself, but I don't contest. I am completely dis-interested in counting number of people I've traded cards with or the number of the places I've reached. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not my idea of 'adventure'...

I'm not in it for the contacts, I'm in it for the -connections-.

(Hey, that's not bad... I should add that to my signature file and my list of "Dave-isms"...)

AC0ZH likes this.
  2. G0VEO

G0VEO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well better its aborted than to risk life and limb in a totally hostile unforgiving enviroment.....stay safe!!!!! and thanks for trying...Cheers!!!

KR3DX, KF5VDX and KI7HSB like this.
  3. KF5VDX

KF5VDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo! Amazing effort, amazing amount of hard work and planning! All to at allow us, the Ham Community to potentially log a once in a lifetime contact. Thank You guys! Hats are Off!
    These men have placed at risk more than most for our hobby. Just the sea voyage alone would be intimidating, 15-25 feet seas are not only uncomfortable they can be dangerous. Setting up and operating on a remote uninhabited volcano covered by glacial ice many days from any population is not a national park activation. Any slight emergency could become life threatening with help days or weeks away.
    Prayers and safe voyage to S Africa. 73 and Thanks Again Garry KF5VDX

KR3DX and K4ECD like this.
  4. N3FOL

N3FOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sooooo, when is the next one?

5. VE3KG

VE3KG Ham Member QRZ Page

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

HI DAVE, THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE NEW GROUP
    THAT WILL BE HEADING TO BOUVET ISLAND.
    PLEASE CONTINUE TO TRACK THE FOLKS THAT ARE NOW HEADED
    HOME FROM BOUVET ISLAND.
    breaking dx news.jpg
    polish expedition to bouvet island SECOND PAGE.jpg
    polish expedition to bouvet island.jpg
    POLISH EXPEDITION HOW WHERE WHEN.jpg
    https://bouvetoya.org/

SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K1LKP

HI CARL, GREETINGS FROM SALEM,NH.
    YOU MENTIONED GRAHAM RADIO AND HERB GORDON....
    WOW...WOW...OMG.... U MUST BE AN OLE RASCAL FOR SURE....
    ONLY KIDDING..... DO YOU RECALL THIS PLACE....

======== STORY OF EVANS RADIO.jpg
    EVANS RADIO STORE LOCATION.jpg
    CARL.... I AM CATCHING UP TO YOU ... I WILL BE 74 IN APRIL...GOD WILLING....

Attached Files:

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Carmen,
    Oh yeah, Im a senile citizen but still refuse to play that role:D

When I bought my first home in Raymond NH (and got married) in 1967 I visited Evans often and became good friends with Carl Evans (sharing a somewhat uncommon first name helped) . I wound up doing his HRO-500 and some NCX-5 work on weekends at the National Service Dept with their blessing of course. Moved to the Chicago area in 1970-73 and then back to NH in Pelham where Im in my second home there on 5 acres on the top of the highest hill in many miles.

I see your family is from Sicily which I visited several times thanks to the USN; Messina, Palermo and Taormina. Back then I could speak enough Italian, with a Brooklyn accent, to get around.

Best of luck getting well past 74 Carmen

Carl

10. K1LKP

Hi Carl, Thank you for your service in the USN.
    Also, congrats on ur time spent with the National Radio Co.
    My first receiver back in 1959 was the NC-188.... my pride and joy.
    I actually purchased it directly at the National Co..... via some friends.

This pix will probably bring back some memories
    FRR-59 WRR 2 radio receiver.jpg
    SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg

11. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Dick, my understanding is that earthquake-induced tsunami waves are usually unnoticeable in the open ocean. They spread out and are very small until a rising seafloor concentrates their power. I don't know the conditions around Bouvet, but if the ship was in deep water and not dragged into the island this is unlikely to have been an issue. The waves could have been a disaster if anyone was on the beach, but I believe everybody was planning to stay on high ground. As for being on land, 6.5 is quite serious, though hopefully having tents rather than houses would minimize the damage. That is not something anyone would want to test, though.

12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: the FRR-59A was the shore based version of the WRR-2A which was very common on subs and the larger combat ships. I worked on alignment of the WRR-2A for almost two months (totally boring) before I transferred to the Service Dept which was like heaven. I also managed to escape any USN school on them as that pretty much was a dead end job and limited to one piece of gear; I wanted variety.

Carl

13. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a peanut whistle station and have never let the fact that I'm not a super station stop me from working incredible DX and pile ups of the worst kind. It is always a thrill to hear the DX respond to my call amidst the cacophany of "big guns" dominating the frequency.

AB8MA likes this.