ad: CQMM-1

Bouvet Aborted

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA1BSZ, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I pray for a safe trip home for all.

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best,

Mike

KF4ZKU and N4FZ like this.
  2. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

In reading through all the threads, it's sad how many hams are bashing this group for trying such a feat. I wish I had what it takes to try something like this. Things like this are an adventure of a life time. I suspect though the same things were said of the Apollo missions, trying to reach the summit of mount Everest, etc...

Thank you Bouvet team for trying! Hope all are well and come home safe and sound!

MI0YLT, KR3DX, N4ENE and 7 others like this.
  3. KB8OTK

KB8OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

" When all else fails . . . . . . . Mother Nature has won . . . . " I was looking forward to some contacts with that crew for a new dx. Guess we all will look forward to an other expedition to " The most remote island on Earth. " Say a prayer for a safe return trip for the crew.

4. N2DDX

N2DDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Engine trouble as i read....would it not be safer with one engine working to head to south Africa..
    then the longer trip to south America..... as they are in the middle of no where.......

AK5B likes this.
  5. KK6CX

KK6CX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry to see the Bouvet Island DXpedition aborted. But having said that, it would have inundated some portions of the bands with wall-to-wall and treetop-tall (as the 11 meter crowd used to say) RF. It would have been tailor made for gargantuan towers, multi stacked directional antennas and full legal limit amplifiers. For the rest of us...the peanut whistle stations? Not so much. Chasing DX is only enjoyable when there is a real possibility of making a contact. I'm not criticizing...just stating reality.

6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

And to think, some hams have made top HR status with modest wire antennas. The secret to HR is starting early, and getting three or four solar cycles under your belt.

N4ENE and K2WH like this.
  7. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad. I guess there was a part of me looking forward to QSOing 3Y0Z even though it would have been very difficult with a 100 watts and a dipole.
    Safe journey home to the team and look forward to another chance if the opportunity arises.

KR3DX and KG5THG like this.
  8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I could've fixed the engine. I can fix anything!

Can't even begin to imagine the disappointment of the team considering the high cost of this endeavor and SO MUCH WORK! Hoping they can find a solution to salvage their incredible investment of ESPECIALLY the efforts involved.

KR3DX and KG5THG like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bouvet I activation has been about a once every 10 year or so occurrence. I
    You are absolutely correct. The secret is to start early and never let an opportunity to put a new one in the log get past you. Bouvet Isl. activations happen about once every 10 years or so. I must not have been paying attention for the last 3 or 4 as I missed them. It's one of the last 9 I need and I'm sorry it had to be aborted. I was concerned for the crew after reading what they went through to get there and then having to anchor out waiting for a break in the weather to go shore. No one could be more disappointed that the Bouvet team who put so much into the attempt and remain at risk until they are safely back in port. It's never smooth sailing in that part of the south Atlantic. The fact is that chasing DX can be a lifetime endeavor; as challenging and frustrating as it is fulfilling. High level achievements in DXing can only really be appreciated by other DXers. I'm thankful that other hams are will to try to get to the Bouvet's and Peter Island location and the like. They don't really get the appreciation they deserve. I really think a well documented DXpedition would make a great National Geographic program. Especially if it were a joint ham radio / wildlife naturalist joint expedition. It would do more to bring the true technical nature of the hobby to the general public than most other things that could be shown.

KR3DX and K2XT like this.
  10. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

So true but just seeing it must have been a treat. Kind of like Apollo 13. Even though it failed, the participants got to go to the moon and see it up close, they just couldn't land.

KR3DX, AK5B and KF4ZKU like this.
  11. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom line is that this is only a hobby.#1 is the safety and welfare of the men on board and the vessel they're on.
    Perhaps this operation can be run again in the future-it's not the end of the World! Safe trip back and thanks for your
    sacrifices.BE SAFE! Respectfully,vy 73, Pax vobiscum Gregory L.Mitchell-W2MYA,West Caldwell,N.J.

KR3DX, WB9AZA and KF4ZKU like this.
  12. KF5INR

KF5INR QRZ Lifetime Member #385 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My heart goes to all members of the Bouvet team and all operators who were anxiously awaiting for the opportunity to join in in the pile-ups . This unfortunate turn of of events is tragic and I pray that they have a safe , uneventful return journey ..........Travel insurance ?????

KR3DX likes this.
  13. K7HV

K7HV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

14. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

# 1 most wanted, North Korea P5-4L4FN recorded in 2002 from NNJ.

You may never, probably never, hear this again in your lifetime.

I'll get 3Y some other time.

Listen to this.....................

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    K3SX and KF4ZKU like this.
  15. K7HV

K7HV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An amazing effort by the 3Y0Z team! To those saying that DXpeditions are only accessible to Big Guns: - as someone running <100W low power with a low quad and G5RV on a city lot, I have worked almost all of the major DXpeditions I attempted; making contact with a DXpedition involves choosing the right time for the propagation, figuring out how their QSX moves and waiting til the last few days of the operation after the megastations have had their way. Years of running QRP has been a good teacher of these hard lessons...

N2AMM, KR3DX, N4ENE and 2 others like this.