ad: TinyPaddle-1

Hamvention Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Jan 29, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

An Update from Hamvention Leadership

Despite all of the best efforts and intentions by Greene County, the Greene County Agricultural Society and Hamvention, we have learned the anticipated new building will not be constructed in time for Hamvention 2018. The prefab sections bid on and architecturally required are currently backlogged. We expect construction to be delayed until after our show and the Greene County Fair. We expect completion of construction yet this year and ready for our use in 2019. We regret this; however it is well out of our control.

On the positive side:
    We will have increased Inside Exhibits space with the addition of the vacated Furniture Building.
    The Flea Market will not be losing any space and actually may be gaining new space.
    After consultation with professionals, we are in the process of solving the mud issue in the Flea Market area. We anticipate work to start as soon as weather allows.
    We are rearranging the soccer field parking to eliminate use of the low areas where we had problems last year. We will also have a revised exit plan.
    Additional offsite parking will be available, along with easily used maps to help you navigate. Transportation from parking areas to the show will still be at no cost.
    Traffic issues were solved by mid-morning on Friday last year and we do not anticipate new issues this year.
    Talk-In has all new equipment and will be using a taller tower this year allowing us to reach out farther to help you navigate to the show. Be sure to use this service. Do not forget the bulletin frequencies for more help.
    There are many new ideas we are working on to make your stay with us more enjoyable. Keep watching our website “hamvention.org” for updates.

Ron Cramer, KD8ENJ, Hamvention General Chair
    Jack Gerbs, WB8SCT, Hamvention Assistant General Chair
    Michael Kalter, W8CI, Hamvention CFO, Spokesperson

KA0HCP and K3MRK like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember: the 'Furniture ' building is --new-- for use in Hamvention 2018. So the real message is that the square footage of exhibit space, in-building, is increasing for 2018, despite the delay of the --additional--'new' building construction.

Here's the Google street view of the Furniture Building. It's BIG:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x8840987db65edd3f:0x2002c28e43f6d70a!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110221377297778746569&id=6390326394205548098&target=PHOTO!5sGoogle Search&imagekey=!1e3!2s-I_kIbl7VW38/WK7__4VsrkI/AAAAAAAAABM/7Ned3-WQB9s1POnQk0w8p0DeIOapFgiFQCLIB

The 'Furniture' building is substantial in square footage and can take up a good fraction of the former 'tent city'. It's a valuable new piece of exhibit real estate.

Tents will likely still be needed, it would seem, but I bet the DARA team is already working on the 'flooding' and, especially the lighting, issues for the --far fewer--tents.

I would speculate that the building contractors were overwhelmed by replacement structure orders from Hurricane Irma, and perhaps Maria, and thus the tough time for Greene County to get the new building done.

It would be silly to think that DARA is responsible for the weather this past Summer/Fall, elsewhere in the US.

If there's anyone whose expert at dealing with these practical logistics, its DARA.

Push ahead guys! We're comin' :)

Thanks for efforts!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    KA0HCP, K9UR, WA8FOZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ' Furniture' building (I could easily be wrong) is one of the buildings on the lower left... someone please confirm/correct :)

[​IMG]

KY5U and NU4R like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the update but, I'd no problem last year. AT WORST, slight inconveniences and nothing more. Skipping HamCation this year and saving my money for Dayton! (And, I'm just 50 miles or so from HamCation!)

NK9Y and KD8ZM like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to seeing you there:)

It really is a blast.:)

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmmm... I took a look at the streetview image , and this one, and used a fractal deconvolution on this one, giving various ratios of sizes and some lettering. The results strongly point to the far lower RIGHT as the furniture building.

It's big.

WA8FOZ, K2HAT, NK9Y and 1 other person like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a great time at Hamvention last year and thought the issues were minor. I was not inconvenienced at all. Looking forward to 2018.

8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

QUOTE: Traffic issues were solved by mid-morning on Friday last year and we do not anticipate new issues this year.LOL that fails too say that those traffic issues were resolved but that it does not appear there will be more? I heard lots of stories where folks were stuck in that traffic for hours & it appears from what you said that they can again look forward to more of the same but not any worse? LOL I know I always enjoy sitting in traffic far more than being inside the Hamfest or walking around in that Bone Yard as do so many others so maybe everyone can tune their car stereos to the same station & it will sound like a concert in the parking lot of traffic. hehe HAMCATION Or BUST! ;):):po_O

Clayton
    W4KVW

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Clayton, traffic on Friday morning was a bitch. Saturday was a bit slow but faster than getting into a football game. Sunday was effortless.

The traffic last year was compounded by a large church carnival on Friday, on the same road. They changed the date this year, apparently.

W4KVW likes this.
  10. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is the lower right for sure. Been there.

W1YW and K8JTD like this.
  11. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like they are making a real effort to make things right. Maybe.... I will see you there in May.

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good update, thanks.

13. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

We got stuck in traffic the first day but had smooth sailing the rest of the weekend. Good job all.

14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... and about now, ...................the usual guy is gonna show up and call everyone DARA sheeps

15. KB1ILS

KB1ILS Ham Member QRZ Page

But if the building is new construction, there may not be time for sheep shows, livestock exhibitions, animal waste and whatnot before the next 'vention!!

:)