ad: CQMM-1

Land Ops ARC producing meteorite documentary

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Jan 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

The story about the second largest meteorite to be found in the U.S. is shrouded in a fog of controversy. The official name of this 6,070 pound space rock is "Old Woman Meteorite", but once upon a time it was called something quite different...Lucky Nugget!

This is literally a meteorite that was found and lost by its' discoverers just like the elusive lost arches gold mine these prospectors were in search of. The 1976 discovery is not well documented, but Land Ops ARC is going back to unearth the mysteries and tell the story from the perspective of "Lucky Nugget".

Join the Land Ops Adventure Radio Club as we take you back in time...back to the discovery site.

Participate in the documentary at http://kck.st/2FYTC6t

2. KI6QBM

3. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

How did they weigh it?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

LAND OPS is a great group that uses an adventure premise with ham radio as its tool. Check out their website: www.landops.com

KI6QBM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This meteorite is well -known (at least its story) to astronomers.

All meteorites perish over time from exposure to the elements. In arid environments , specifically deserts, meteorites have the best chance of being found. Iron nickel meteorites rust out on short geological time scales, so the Old Woman Meteorite was found because it was a young fall, and fell in the right, dry place.

I have a sizeable iron-nickel meteorite on my desk, a 10 pounder from the Campo de Cielo fall. Whenever I feel in doubt of my self worth, I look at it to remind me how we all started. Your iron based blood comes from iron nickel meteorites from long, long ago. Feeling special now:)?

Oddly, the best place to find meteorites is antarctica, as old falls tend to surface from sublimated glacial ice, and little snowfall in the desert region spells little erosion or oxidation. You know that if you truck along on a snowmobile, and see a black thing on the ice, its not a bolus or a slug or a handball. Its a meteorite.

Landops is taking a challenging trek to re trace the route taken to find the meteorite. Its possible that modern metal detectors may finds bits around the general area where the OWM was found in 1975.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    KI6QBM and KB2SMS like this.
  8. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen the Old Woman Meteorite ! it is in the BLM office in Barstow ,California ! they sent it to the Smithsonian in D.C. & cut a slice off it & then returned it to Barstow ! it is wonderful to see . Phil KI6PMD..

KI6QBM, KB2SMS and W1YW like this.
  9. KI6QBM

Here's our video that explains why we're using the name Lucky Nugget (mysteries of) for this perspective documentary.

10. KI6QBM

This is our kickstarter explanation video. http://kck.st/2FYTC6t

KU4C likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The kickstarter is a modest program to update the video equipment.

Capturing great video is representative of the fun on the treks:)

KI6QBM likes this.
  12. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

the biggest meteor I every saw was in April 26th, 1966, @ 7:15 pm as it zipped acrossed the sky and it landed in up state NY. I saw this thing in my house in Fairlee,Vermont.

13. KI6QBM

I just came back from the Desert Discovery Center in Barstow, California. Here's a picture of the meteorite on display with Michael, KJ6KNH in frame for perspective.
    This project still needs a small boost. You can help at http://kck.st/2FYTC6t

owm 1000.jpg

W1YW likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

For every big chunk that hits there are oodles of tiny ones that have flash heated to beome droplets, like rabbit 'pellets', most very tiny. They should still be there in the vicinity of the original fall.

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A MN buddy of mine from way back, Ken, WAØFAA, wrote a book, is an active trader, and maintains a web site of extensive info on meteorites. Check out all the stuff; classifications, mineral composition, etc, especially the locations of sites in your state. Go astro-treasure hunting!

http://www.meteorites4sale.net/

John, WØPV