ad: elecraft

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3AQB

VA3AQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not renew my membership this year till things change.

2. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're talking about the BOD, right?

Just checking...

N8WAC likes this.
  3. W4DBV

W4DBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the very clear view (as much as is possible) of what is going on inside the A. R. R. L. I see this as one of the best arguments for never becoming a "lifetime" member of anything.
    No organization of humans is beyond corruption. Based on what I've read I encourage people to vote with both their wallets and their feet.

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Beg to differ:

em·ploy·ee
    1. also em·ploy·e (ĕm-ploi′ē, ĭm-, ĕm′ploi-ē′)
    n.
    A person who works for another in return for financial or other compensation.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/employee

1. a person working for another person or a business firm for pay.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/employee?s=t

employee noun [ C ]
    uk /ɪmˈplɔɪ.iː/ /ˌem.plɔɪˈiː/ us /ɪmˈplɔɪ.iː/ /ˌem.plɔɪˈiː/
    someone who is paid to work for someone else:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/employee

Wrong word choice on YOUR part, mister.
    These individuals are representatives elected by fellow members. They have a duty to communicate and represent their members.

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that the courts have long held that volunteers within an organization are considered employees but only from the perspective of liability

KS4TD and W0FS like this.
  6. KW4MQ

KW4MQ Ham Member QRZ Page

A number of posts back, somebody said "the board can do what they want with their corporation". First off, it isn't theirs. They did not buy it! They do NOT own it. We the members elected them to the board to represent US. Too many people see the ARRL as a commercial corporation. This is nothing like GM. At GM the shareholders paid real money to OWN a share of the company. The shareholders (owners) elect a board (often the major shareholders), to represent them in decisions about how the company should be run. The more shares you own, the more say you have.
    A CEO and others are hired to do the 'day to day' management.
    At the ARRL, things are a bit different. The board members own no more than any other League member. They are elected by a process of 'one member, one vote'.
    The biggest difference is this.....
    At GM , if the board makes a bad choice that reduces GM profits, the board members each take a heavy financial hit. The more shares they own, the bigger the hit. They have serious motives for making the best possible choices.
    At the ARRL, if the board makes bad choices, it only hurts them the same amount as every other member. There is much less to keep their egos in check. That is why we need to know what is going on. So we the members can keep them in check with our informed votes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    W0FS and W4ABC like this.
  7. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to know. :)

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

OR OTHER COMPENSATION.... They are employees. And being elected gives them rights but but gives you no right to know everything they do, mister.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say it did...
    Besides, new leadership is now being sought. I'm sure this is a reflection of recent feedback (flack).
    This organization serves its members; it needs to be open and candid with its members. It should incorporate program management principles that include outreach of members and affiliated clubs across the Nation. For example, it shouldn't forward clandestine organizational recommendations concerning potentially massive spectrum or regulations changes to the FCC without nationwide input. Over more than a decade, it hasn't done so. It's far from an "open" organization that's desirous of members' input.

W0FS, KW4MQ, W5JON and 1 other person like this.
  10. WX4O

WX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K4AGO

You are sure of a lot of things that simply are not true. The ARRL has served it's members and served them well. The ARRL's board of directors cannot legally be transparent with regard to every action they take. The ARRL absolutely does abide by principals that are in the best interest of members and affiliated clubs across the United State. That does not guarantee that everyone is going to be happy with the outcome of every action. That simply is an impossibility. What "CLANDESTINE" organizational recommendations concerning massive spectrum changes and regulation changes are you referring to? Are you referring to the two new bands that were just authorized? Are you referring to the changes (in our favor) to the 60 meter band that are being proposed? What are your qualifications to make proposals to the ARRL and the FCC? Members give the ARRL there input every day. I know because I have given my input and my input was warmly and graciously accepted with sincere appreciation. But, it is not realistic to think that input = output. If the output of any component in an electronic circuit is equal to the output, the component is bad and has to be replaced. The Board of Directors of the ARRL needs to be allowed to do it's job without a bunch of self proclaimed authority's trying to second guess every move they make. Sending the ARRL $50.00 every year does not give you that right. If you are not happy with what the Board of Directors is doing, stop sending in your dues. Don't try to spoil it for the rest of us.

W4JHU and NN4RH like this.
  12. K4AGO

No, they DO NOT work for us The ARRL is an advocate for the hobby of Ham Radio.

13. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

What you are missing is that ARRL Directors are elected officials, not employees, and that the voters have a right to the facts.

14. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

That shows perspective.

ARRL is NOT a Fortune 500 company with trade secrets to protect. It is a membership society. ARRL is NOT a public corporation with regulatory requirements to keep financial and other matters secret from shareholders or the public. The problem that ARRL is facing is directly due to corporate-lawyer-think among its officers and directors as opposed to member support.

K2PH, W0FS, W2GD and 2 others like this.
  15. W8BFX

W8BFX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K4AGO,
    Thanks for a fine signal amidst heavy QRN.
    73, Dennis