ad: HamHats-1

Winter Field Station Deployment QRP Portable

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by OH8STN, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators
    In today's video I'm heading out to the sea shore to setup the solar powered field station, in winter conditions. This time I'll be showing the entire deployment starting with a short hike pulling gear with a pulk sled, setting up the tipi tent, setting up and warming up the titanium wood stove, setting up antennas, radio, computer and portable power. Finally operating on SSB and digital modes before finishing up the day.
    This video is probably very interesting to anyone planning on participating in Winter Field Day 2018 in winter conditions.
    Julian oh8stn

US7IGN and KY1K like this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done video, as always, Julian. I've acquired an SG-2020 which I think might work pretty well in these scenarios. It produces a nominal 20 watts (actually a bit more, I think) on 40 M. I've been able to stretch my Winlink legs out to 1000 + miles (evenings) and the difference on SSB is very noticeable, as proved by some testing I did with a websdr.

Al

OH8STN likes this.
  3. OH8STN

Hi Al
    Thanks for the comment and for watching. You know it's always very much appreciated!
    I didn't know the SG-2020 before you mentioned it. I decided to limit my rig choices to Yaesu (critical comms), mcHF (ultra-portable), Kenwood (VHF/UHF), for my field work. You know I'm a critical qrp operator, so the need to bump it up to 20 watts from time to time, just kills me. It looks like its going to be the Yaesu ft-891 for critical communications in the field. I'll still rely on the ft-817 for casual or qrp digital comms.
    I thought if forced to buy a more powerful radio it was definitely going to be an 857. Since I'm not getting any younger, the larger display of the 891 was a convincing argument. I'll dial it back to 20 watts max tx, and power it with one of my LiFePO4 battery builds.

Why did you choose the SG - 2020?

Julian oh8stn

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

The SG is a rig that I had considered when I first became a ham three years ago, but it was out of production and I didn't want to risk buying a used rig at the time. It's a rugged rig, built essentially to commercial, versus amateur, standards. Not MILSPEC, but certainly a step up in toughness. And it can transmit 20 watts, which can really make a difference, especially on SSB. It's a quirky little beast, but I'm having fun with it.

Al

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This weekend I'll try to froze my mcHF =)

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

7. OH8STN

I read about the 20/20 now, that's an amazing rig.
    It's kind of a bummer that these type of weeks aren't really made anymore.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have not frost today, so I'll try it later. Today I'll took with me my little cheese radio (mtr-3)

OH8STN likes this.
  9. OH8STN

I'm also heading out.
    It's -17c here and frost is the least of my worries
    817 and a dipole