ad: elecraft

myARRLvoice formed to question ARRL Code of Conduct, Board Proposals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jan 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7QI

K7QI Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4UCE, what the heck does this form have to do with issue at hand? I thought this discussion and issue had to do with the proposed by-law and Goverance issues? Why are trying to use smoke and mirrors to down ARRL? Neither you nor MS. Mansplain ( Jesus that cracks me up because you have truly identified your personlaity, which I have no time for) still haven't provin your case. Its plain and simple. End your membership if you really believe that Crap both of you are trying to sling around or! If ARRL is trying to change the by-laws and Goverance without the support of we members, then make a stand, and voice our opinions to the leadership. This Crap of "I will not support ARRL until the leadership changes their course" we as members should always support an organization that has done so much for its members. Yes, as stated, I've been a member since 1975, and life member since 1980, and have always supported ARRL, and will continue to do so.

With all you are complaining, one thing is clear, I'm reading all the complaints you all have, but not one of you have come up with, Or provided a solution! All I'm reading is "die ARRL! Seriously? Maybe you all should just drop your membership with ARRL, and move on.. Again, just my 2 cents .

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. WA3JPY

WA3JPY QRZ Lifetime Member #312 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So a few people kissed your rear end, and thus you think the world of them. Got it. There is no way that I am going to try to change your mind. Think what you will. The ARRL does not represent the interests of its members. Period, end of story. Do they do some good? Of course. Do they properly represent the interests of their members? No.

WD8ED likes this.
  3. WA3JPY

WA3JPY QRZ Lifetime Member #312 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No, we should make an effort to insure ARRL leadership knows that there is a lack of member confidence and encourage them to address it.

K8OF and WD8ED like this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

So what is this A.R.R.L. that you speak of ?

Oh I get it now. I did some reading and...

"The A.R.R.L. hierarchy is populated by a delusional, illogical minority, and as such is rabidly promoting their unscrupulous assault on mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

That explains a lot and raises many questions.

5. K7QI

K7QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mark,

I couldn't agree more with you!!!!!!! I thought that is what I was trying to say in my last comment? If I didn't, thanks for picking up the slack. Dennis, your comment "
    entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Was hilarious..
    --73--
    Jim
    K7QI and Z81A

6. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

After 40 years of being a wannabe, I finally got off my arse and got my license last year. On the same day I received my written notification from the FCC of my license status, the mail included an envelope from the ARRL encouraging me to join. My first question was... Why? What does my $49 a year get me? No one that I personally know can tell me other than the general platitude of "representation".

Okay... I'd be 'represented'... in what venue? what's the conflict? And again I ask, what does my $49 get me? Are there powerful political forces out there that are trying to squelch my right to have a radio too? Do I need the ARRL to back me up when I say that they can have my radio when they pry the mic from my cold dead hands?

After reading a lot of the comments on this thread, I even more doubtful about what my $49 a year get me...

NK2U likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Huge $$$$$ behind trying to squat or steal our radio spectrum. Look at the ARRL web site under spectrum defense.

KD8SKZ and KI7HSB like this.
  8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

But soon we won't be able to operate from home due to the ARPA restrictions, nor while mobile die to distracted driving laws. Guess we can always do another NPOTA. That was fun.

9. KI7HSB

Not sure what's going on with ARPA (guess I need to go learn it), but for what it's worth, the recently passed Washington State anti-distracted driver laws had express language excluding ham operators from the laws restrictive demands.

KD5BVX likes this.
  10. KI7HSB

So, you're saying that we don't have ideologically motivated persons that simply believe that no one has any business operating a radio, but we do have big greedy corporate goons that want to it away for their own use...

11. VK3VO

VK3VO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a dual citizen of the US (now KH6RL and first licensed in 1956) and Australia (VK3VO, licensed since 1970). I have just renewed my US licence using the QRZ.com website - great value at $8 for 10 years (80 cents per year). Australian amateurs pay $53 ($US42 per year) for their licence. National radio associations (like the ARRL and Wireless Institute of Australia) are necessary to educate naive elected politicians about the value of our hobby to national welfare so that our hobby benefits. If you care about the future of amateur radio, join your association and participate in a positive way.
    Bob
    KH6RL/VK3VO

AD5HR and N0TZU like this.
  12. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do

At this time I just can't see a way to participate in a positive way .

So I teach, mentor, elmer. assist in the exam process. I promote amateur radio to the best of my ability.

The A.R.R.L. isn't listening

AI7PM, ND6M and NK2U like this.
  13. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's ignorant! Nobody kisses my butt, nor do I do any butt kissing.
    It makes absolutely NO sense at all for you to say That "The ARRL does not represent the interests of its members. Period, end of story". Non Sequitur !
    You are not all of it's membership nor are you an ARRL member so how do you justify such a statement? Give me real evidence to back your statement.
    Give me factual evidence in what you say and I will be on that band wagon.
    I can provide countless proof that the ARRL has done more than any organization for amateur radio and the FCC. Lobbyists for FCC rulings are an absolute necessity this is how things work in Washington. (I understand how our political system works) The ARRL helps promote amateur radio through it organization and through ARRL and non-ARRL affiliated clubs, Education, Testing, technical help, interference resolution (I know this first hand because I was the Asst. TC for STX and a TS NTX) and undoubtedly the best ham radio magazine published , Youth in amateur radio ...How many active hams would we have without the ARRL? I can go on... As I said, I don't agree with everything the ARRl or FCC does. If I were King on Radio Mountain, ham radio testing would be very different.
    CW would be included again in the General and Extra class (just simply because of tradition)
    Tradition isn't a bad thing many organizations are deep in tradition as a Mason I can attest to this. Anyways... there would NOT be a published question pool, study guides..Yes. And the Extra exam would be a bitch to pass. So the testing would be merit based - fair !
    Like back in the early 80's when I took my 1st class Radio telephone exam, that test was a bitch! BUT the 1st Class Radio telephone and Telegraphy exams were something to be proud of. The Extra should be like that. I have met many hams that were extra class that knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about RF, electronics, radio or antennas. Basic stuff that a novice should know. I'm not exaggerating!! It's shameful ! the hobby has been cheapened and dumbed-down. Clearly the ARRL and the FCC have FAILED in this category. However, the big picture is what it is.
    Just how much spectrum would hams have if not for the League?? The FCC looks at spectrum today and all they see is $$JING$$. The ARRL has made it clear amateur spectrum isn't for sale at any price.
    Keep your $49 you need it more than the ARRL.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    K8OF, AI0K and N8GNP like this.
  14. KI7HSB

Sure is a good thing that you aren't king of radio mountain...

ND6M and NK2U like this.
  15. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't really want it anyways, King size headache!