ad: M2Ant-1

myARRLvoice formed to question ARRL Code of Conduct, Board Proposals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jan 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, the issue is very black and white. Giving the CEO an equal vote on the BoD is wrong. If the changes are instituted as written, they will say the following:

• The CEO takes direction from the BoD
    • The CEO NOW has voting privileges on the BoD
    • All BoD members must vote in the "best interests of the corporation", and are specially told not to vote in their own best interests or the interests of another person or entity.
    • Failure to vote in the best interests of the corporation may result in censure, removal from office, or ejection from the league
    The CEO's vote will be, in his opinion, in the best interest of the corporation....that's his job. However, explicitly prohibiting other Board members to vote in the interest of their constituency if that vote differs from the CEO is just wrong. Why have elections?

In a publicly traded corporation, I understand that the shareholders elect the BoD, and the CEO is accountable to the shareholders...fine. In a publicly traded corporation, the BoD can also fire the CEO if, in the opinion of the shareholders, he is not taking the company in the right direction. Passing these changes to the By-Laws will take that away from us, and put all of the power on the executive committee in Newington.

K2PH, W0DHG and NK2U like this.
  2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that these 'dicussions' are bring out the obvious differences between the League fan boys and the League bashers, warts and all. After all is said and done, the sun will still rise on Sunday morning, but we may feel alienated against one another because of our individual opinions. Not a good thing.

AF6SA likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

What about people who are neither? I guess I don't see the world as bipolar like that. Then again, I also don't have an 'R' or a 'D' on my voter registration, either.

If every argument (whether pro or con) is automatically filed away as "that's just a league basher" or "that's just a league fanboy," real issues won't get discussed, which means they also won't get solved. So I don't see what's wrong with discussing the merits of the issues?

Then again, maybe I'm just naïve to think that these issues can be solved. :oops:

WD8ED, NK2U, AF6SA and 1 other person like this.
  4. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't seem to be much grey here, just black or white.

5. KK5JY

Hmmm. Well, for what it's worth (probably not a lot), I would like to see real issues get fixed so I can go back to being a League supporter. The only way I know to fix them is to discuss the merits of the issues involved.

N2SUB likes this.
  6. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda' like the way this Country was founded. Rebel against injustices. If enough folks are engaged, change might just occur. Two weeks ago nobody even was thinking about any of this. Today you might think the sky was falling.

7. KK5JY

If it makes you feel better, US history is filled with drama queens. ;)

I won't speak for anybody else, but when the weekend arrives, and the radio comes on, and the bands are filled with people trying to win the contest, I give no regard for or against callsigns whose QRZ opinions differ with me... I am happy to help them get more points, and I definitely want points for working them. :D Even during the occasional ragchew, which I don't do much anymore, I leave the controversial stuff behind. When the transmitter is key-down, the conversation is polite and enjoyable, or the dial gets spun. ;)

WD8ED, W4JHU, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  8. K7QI

K7QI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you W5TXR. For KQ6XA to make a bold, Non-Fact checked statement like that just made me laugh. It just sad that people focus on the Negatives then hone in on those negatives like a pack of wolves. Look, I've been a member since 1975, and became a life member in 1980. Through all those decades I've seen a lot changes, some good, some bad (like removing the code, which was our final gateway to keep the Chicken Banders out). But I think Ms. KQ6XA needs to keep quite until she does her own fact checking. I bet she will discover all the good the League has done for all of us. For one, constantly fighting FCC, and other Gov't Agencies who would love to have our frequencies. I'm an electrical Engineer in the wireless field and see first hand some companies petitioning FCC for our frequencies. One of the reasons ARRL sent out requests to we members ensuring we use all of our frequencies to keep them active. I admit, I just started hearing rumors of issues within the league, and as a life member, I'm doing my own fact checking to see what's going on. All I'm trying to say is, if there is an issue, then let us voice our concerns. But lets ensure we also mention all the positives the league has done for us. WE NEED ARRL JUST AS MUCH AS ARRL NEEDS US! Just my 2 cents.

--73--
    Jim
    K7QI/ Z81A

AF6SA and N0TZU like this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

K3LI is correct. ARRL long ago ceased being the true voice of ham radio. Many of us believed in ARRL over the years... only to have our confidence, membership, support money, and trust rewarded by stonewalling and top-down dictates from Newington. It won't get any better for ARRL, only worse into the future. ARRL execs are only interested in themselves. Now that they have enshrined their authoritarian ideology, their true purpose is on display.

Honestly, it is better if ARRL goes belly-up, so that some other new and truly representative organization can be formed from the ashes. 100 years was a good run. Let it go.

ARRL has become an anti-ham entity.
    Point of fact: ARRL is still trying to push a bill through Congress that would certainly lead to many long time HF ham stations going off the air entirely, or else staying on the air at extremely high legal costs and diminished capacity. That is the actual act of an anti-ham organization. Why are they doing it? Most likely, so that a few of them can play with lobbyists and put up the appearance that they are doing something. Naming of bills is often a clue to the opposite of what is in the bill.

The only thing that has saved us from that bill, is that our Congress is in near-gridlock turmoil.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    WD8ED, KD5BVX and NK2U like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is incorrect. The CEO will NOT get a vote under the proposal. It would be ONLY the President and the Vice-Presidents.

I am not in favor of the proposal either (because a downside is that it dilutes member control of the board) but let's keep things factual.

11. N2SUB

Are you sure about that? Did you read the proposed by-laws, specifically Article 35:

upload_2018-1-11_9-8-5.png

12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is just cleanup of the text. Look at the section where votes are granted. He isn't in it. Only the President and VPs.

Took me a minute to find it. Here is the text of the relevant section by Lisenco motion (my underlining):

Moved, that By-Law 15 of the ARRL By-Laws be amended to read as follows:

15. The President and the Vice Presidents shall possess all of the rights and duties of directors save the right to vote for the positions of President and Vice-President. The Treasurer shall possess all of the rights and duties of directors save the right to vote and the right to participate in the call of a special meeting of the Board, as referred to in Article 4 of the Articles of Association​

AF6SA likes this.
  13. N2SUB

So then, that's even worse. The President and Vice-President are voting members (unless the vote is for the positions of president and vice-president). The same problem exists, if I'm reading this correctly. There are 2 members of the Executive Committee with voting rights on the board, and they will be voting in the best interests of the ARRL in the opinion of the Executive committee (which includes the CEO). Appendix B now says that all of the elected directors must also vote in the best interests of the ARRL, and not themselves or their constituency, or risk sanctions or removal. So by the letter of the law, if the changes are passed, all of the elected members must now vote the same as the executive committee.

I'm not a lawyer, which I why I've posted the actual document twice before and will do so again. I, like you, want to understand fully what is going on, so if I misstated anything I certainly want to get it right. Is my understanding correct in your opinion?

Here's what I'm working from: http://www.b4h.net/ARRL_2018_Jan_Redline_BOD.pdf

14. KU8Q

KU8Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

15. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the "He" "He" "His" so much, in the proposed language of the By-laws.
    You would think, that by 2018, someone at ARRL BOD might utilize a modern non-sexist style guide for corporate By-Laws and minutes.
    Gender inclusive language in corporate minutes and corporate documents has been in use in modern corporate entities for at least 25 years now.
    I know this because as a Secretary of Corporation and sitting on Board of Directors for corporations in Silicon Valley, our attorneys advised us to use gender neutral or gender inclusive language, as far back as 1995. (probably so we wouldn't get sued)
    But, no. ARRL BOD thinks they are a good ole boys club.
    That attitude is exactly the kind of thing that really turns off young people (younger than 40 years old) to ham radio, and especially turns them off to ARRL.
    That is just one of the many valid reasons young hams don't join ARRL.

And yes, I'm familiar with the old practice of "He" supposedly being a generic substitute. Those days are over, though, and the "generic He" has been relegated to the junk heap of history. That ended in the 20th century. So, don't bother mansplaining to me about it.
    [​IMG]

N0TZU and KU8Q like this.