ad: Radclub22-1

"NCIS Newington" on Ham Radio Now (not click bait, but close)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Nov 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

He is cited as a role model. Why do you think they NEEDED to mention him? Do you think that point was a non sequitar? No: they were saying that this PERSON--Tim Allen-- portrayed ham radio in a positive light, an upstanding citizen, and not a slow witted antisocial individual. That is, a role model, counter to the "DORK" aspersion given in the NCIS show.

Maybe one of the reasons we are often seen as "dorks" is because we often do not see the reality...as is this case.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

He was? Where?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the fact that citation has been provided, kindly explain why someone else may not contrue your response as 'slow witted' and 'unaware'.

I am not a 'dork'. Are you a 'dork'? I don't think so, but what might others think from that response?

4. KK5JY

So he wasn't cited as a role model, then?

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

The DORK: Hazel hair; wavy eyes. (RIP Doug Kenney).

6. KK5JY

That you aren't any better of a role model than Allen. ;)

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't give a bolus what you think of ME OM :)

That's because I am not a part of 'dork culture.'

BTW I don't have a shack or computer in the basement. And I showered and shaved this morning. Teeth? Yep. Combs are made to be used. And deoderant is for always.

My clothes are clean and crisp and smell--oh--so-- FRESH!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. KK5JY

Wow, look at all that effort you have expended to avoid answering my question... so again, Allen was never cited as a "role model," as you suggest, and so your point is moot.

K7JEM likes this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the quote from the article:

"We were not asked, as in the case of Last Man Standing, the ABC network program
    featuring Tim Allen, KK6OTD, to provide technical review or input to the portrayal of Amateur Radio in
    NCIS “Trapped.”

I see that it mentions Tim Allen, probably because it was his show, and he was the star of that show. Not sure this makes him a role model. I don't know what your specific problem is, but reading comprehension may be part of it.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is clear that Ny2RF, ARRL CEO Tom Gallagher, used Tim Allen as an EXAMPLE of a positive ham image. That places him, given he IS a ham, as a ROLE MODEL. He is cited for that very reason.

Tim Allen will always be a convicted drug dealer. That he moved on in his life is worth celebrating--but not denying his ANTISOCIAL ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR as a drug dealer.

You can't say that NCIS projects us as--to use their word--"DORKS" which means slow witted and antisocial, and at the same time pose a positive role model of Tim Allen in juxtaposition, whereby that person was proven to be engaged in ANTISOCIAL AND ILLEGAL activity.

I was quite happy with the NCIS show's portrayal. And I never trust episodic TV anyway: WHITE COLLAR had an entire episode based on the (outrageous and bogus) notion that Nazis invented fractal antennas. Being Jewish, that didn't go down well. And it would have made Mandelbrot very angry.

If you are TRULY worried about how the world sees hams, then give them examples where we execute our Part 97 mission.

11. K7JEM

I am not worried how the world sees hams, and I don't see a particular problem with the NCIS episode, either. It was written by TV writers to cover some sort of plot arc. That is what they do, but they are not always totally accurate. The portrayal of the local LEO was bad, too. And the golfers and the landscaping owners, and the veterenarian. But that's what they do, stereotype people. They didn't say ALL hams are losers, but we all know some who are.

But I still don't see the "role model" thing. By mentioning a person, that isn't the same as holding them up as a role model.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. You sure don't.

13. K7JEM

I don't think anyone else here sees it either, judging by the response you have so far. So, I'm in pretty good company.

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

In both these dramas there is a cast member / character whose role contains a model of amateur radio. I'm ambivalent on either representation.

However, IMO neither of them deserves to be the basis of even a frivolous editorial that consumes a valuable position in our most prominent journal. Especially as apparently just a knee-jerk reaction to a few members letters.

In these days of ARRL Board of Director back-room politics, surreptitiously game changing rules of governance and program directions, election tinkering, avoidable law suits, prominent peer censures and candidate disqualifications, does the ARRL CEO really have nothing more important to communicate with us?

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    K7JEM likes this.
  15. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary, the AWRL/QST this month adopted your podcast title to discuss this episode, though they apparently didn't know how to do proper attribution!