ad: elecraft

FCC Fines Drone FPV Maker for Using Radio Spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5TRI, Dec 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

The version I heard was 'And the cop said while writing the speeding ticket "You are the one I caught" '.

KK6FCV and K3XR like this.
  2. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The incorrect come-back then may be: "You caught me because I let you"

K3XR likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The best explanation I heard a cop say to someone is:

"I am out here relaxing and fishing today and out of all the other fishes swimming around, you are the biggest fish I could catch of the day. So congratulations and here's a 100% authentic and autographed prize certificate."

:)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    SA1CKE and K3XR like this.
  4. KC0MQG

KC0MQG Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC won't do anything hardly. Liston to channel 7.200. I have reported it several times and have never got a response and I know several others that are tired of it to on the channel
    Just tune into it its crazy

5. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For those that are overly concerned about the Chinese radios flooding the low end of the market, you need to do some research on "type acceptance". Most of these are Part 90 Type Accepted which means that they can transmit (and receive) on a wider range of frequencies than just the Ham Bands. Yes they can do the Ham Bands but they also can do GMRS and Aircraft and Business and other bands. Yes we can use them on the Ham Bands (even if they are not Part 95 Hams are allowed to use Part 90 radios on Ham Bands) but to use them anywhere else we would need a license for that band or frequencies. I don't think there are any "unlicensed" frequencies in their wider frequency range. The real problem is not their not being high enough quality (and most are poor quality), the problem is they sell them to anyone and they use them anywhere with no license. This impacts not just Hams but authorized users on the other frequencies and the legitimate companies who ask for your call sign or business band license, etc. So it impacts the sale of Kenwood, Icom, HyTerra and other quality manufacturers for both Part 90 and Part 95 radios.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Given how few HF hams there are, and how many fewer actually report RFI from cheap imported electronics, the instances that get reported could be passed of as a malfunctioning unit that got missed by the QC process. If you compare the confirmed number of units that cause RFI to the total number of units sold in the US, I suspect the complaint rate is well below the noise floor, so to speak.

7. N7MK

N7MK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IF they are on amateur assigned frequency bands.

8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. I learned something today. Even though I'll never use it.

K3RW likes this.
  9. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is ultimately up to the buyer of the equipment to ensure that it's conforming to the frequencies that they use and if needed apply for permits.

10. KB8OTK

KB8OTK Ham Member QRZ Page

An officer told me once, " I don't give out speeding tickets, you have to EARN it. "

AB9VR and KA9JLM like this.
  11. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FCC like most 3 letter agencies prosecutes the low hanging fruit. Hard to get the Chinese in court.

N8XTH likes this.
  12. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most Tech's interested only in radio won't use it either, but it was in their best interest to know it. It is probably included specifically for the radio controlled model operator who is only studying the Question Pool to get a Tech License for the privilege of using a ham frequency. When the NCVEC finally gets around to releasing the first draft of the 2018 -2022 Tech Question Pool, I bet that question will still be there.

Of course 4 years ago the Tech Question Pool first draft was released on December 10th. The Tech Question Pool due now must be more of a challenge for them. And I don't think for a second that they are actually carefully proof reading the proposed document this time, thus delaying the release.

T8C07 (B) [97.215(c)]
    What is the maximum power allowed when transmitting telecommand signals to radio controlled models?
    A. 500 milliwatts
    B. 1 watt
    C. 25 watts
    D. 1500 watts

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Raced radio controlled cars back in the mid 80's and early 90's not aware of any of that crowd using 6 meters there were a few model plane guys who were also hams that used it and likely still do.

14. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

JUST FYI: Tom, amateur radio is governed by Part 97 Rules & Regs, Citizens Band is under Part 95.

Very 73 de Cliff - KU4GW

15. W4RN

W4RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is no longer regulating the Internet. Last week, the FCC returned control to the FTC. Do you pay any attention to the news?