ad: wmr-1

First Contact with an Icom IC-7610 at N8DXE by Tim Duffy, K3LR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DVI is still in use commercially due to the extra shielding and more robust connector. HDMI is consumer grade.

2. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K3LI said:
    So, it works just like any other amateur radio. Key it up, talk to somebody, rinse repeat. Been happening for decades and decades. Not a big deal.
    Yep, Damn free market, giving people choices on how to spend their money, or options for what rig they might want, we should have banned every rig after the introduction of the Ft101 (or fill in your fav rig here). Stupid freedom of choice and differing levels of features/bells/whistles. Its a wonder Icom is still in business....LOL
    Ease up boys...

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

What's wrong with an FT-101?

j/k

K6MTS likes this.
  4. K6MTS

Not a thing. Ft101, 7610, whatever rig floats the buyer's boat.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. K6MTS

Doh! Missed the j/k

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I once had an FT-101EE. By the time I finished making mods. and additions to it I started calling it an FT-101TE, T for Tom. I added a digital read ou,t the WARC bands and many others. It had a very quiet receiver in it.

And it did AM really nicely.

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the option of a waterfall on my ICOM 7600 & Rarely ever turn it on.I much prefer just the band scope & I want Buttons & Knobs & nothing that requires me touching the screen for any reason & why any rig that requires doing so will never be on my desk or in my mobile at any price including FREE.

Clayton
    W4KVW

8. K6MTS

Yah, see, yah,.. you won't catch me dead with no waterfall copper!!

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah mine did AM real nice too. I was once told it sounded like a Johnson Ranger.

They sure don't make them like that anymore. :)

10. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep wondering why anyone would use a high-quality studio grade (and expensive) microphone on a radio that limits your bandwidth to 300-3000Hz and a transmission medium that degrades your voice even more by phasing, noise and other influences we have no control over... On the average QSO one couldn't even hear the difference between an HiFi mic and an old fashioned carbon mic from the '30's...

11. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

...nice radio. Pay no attention to the naysayers.....Good luck to all that own one.

12. K4WNZ

K4WNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have agree with JOE, pricey, but the video was nice

13. DD4DA

DD4DA Ham Member QRZ Page

My experiences with the IC 7300 as an SDR device make me little hope, that this device will be better able to deal with large and dense signals. As usual, his price will be higher for the first 2 years - that's the case with all devices.
    Unfortunately, the OVR indicator of the IC-7300 shines far too often on my antenna and the rig is quite more noisy on the noise-floor than the aged IC-756Pro-III.
    Nevertheless, i hope that the IC-7610 will be a significant improved follower of the previous IC-7600.
    Just a nice TFT display and a direct sampler alone, just still do not make a radio to a good radio. The operating concept of the device is just as important as a good transmitter or receiver.
    After all, we are talking about a device that will cost $4000. Since you can expect a little more quality and performance, because it is no small change and it also excuses no major deficits.

I decided a few years ago for a kenwood TS990s as a successor to the Pro3, instead of staying at ICOM because the alternative IC-7600 was just so bad and was out of the question for me.

Well, let's see how the new IC-7610 will beat in daily operation.

vy 73 de Gerhard, DD4DA

14. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And as predicted... Dayton Xenia 2018 price was down to $2999 - still hard to justify the 3 for 1 swap.

15. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sold my 7610 and purchased a flex 6700.