ad: CQMM-1

First Contact with an Icom IC-7610 at N8DXE by Tim Duffy, K3LR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

My 480 had it. What a mess.

2. N4JAP

N4JAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheap.
    Kind of like making customers pay extra for a mobile mounting bracket for a mobile radio. And extra for a control head mounting bracket. Extra for a mic extension cable. All at ridiculously high prices. I like Icom gear, I don’t like being nickeled and dime’d for items that other brands include with their rigs.
    John

3. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice looking radio and hope its as good as it looks. Can't have everything, every radio brings something to the table different, all depends on what your needs and wants are. For those complaining about the price. Yes its a bit high, it should have come out at around $3600 but remember when the 7600 was released? Price is not much different and who ever said this hobby was cheep?? Can't afford it, then move on and get a CB. Don't judge people that can and will buy it.

4. K6MGK

K6MGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I must agree with n4dcd, although I am pro flex, there is quality in the 7610
    And as the saying goes " if you can't hang with the big dogs you might as well go play with the puppies"

5. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice!

6. AK9DX

AK9DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll wait until they get the bugs out of the first production runs.

7. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Remote head unit for the ACOM 2000A Amplifier.

8. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

External monitors help but eye candy to most. Can't believe ICOM still using DVI monitor connector on the back and not HDMI connector.

9. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct...again. See post #5.

10. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be related to license fees and digital content protection agreements :mad:

WU8Y likes this.
  11. N3DXE

N3DXE Ham Member QRZ Page

what is so2r please?

12. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Single operator, 2 radios. It's one of the use cases that manufacturers put two receivers into one radio box. If done well, it is fantastic. But if done poorly, one is better off with "two" radios (and you also have a backup transmitter since each radio has a separate transmitter too...while a dual receive radio just has 1 transmitter). These are the kind of use-cases that, if done properly, give a competitive advantage and justify (or not) a $4,000 radio. Very often used for high speed CW contesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_operator_two_radios

I've got three IC-7300's and they're really great for the money.
    I don't see "upgrading" to the 7610 just to get a bigger tv screen.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DVI to HDMI adapter is like $4 bucks on Amazon. That's not such a big deal...

14. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

So, it works just like any other amateur radio. Key it up, talk to somebody, rinse repeat. Been happening for decades and decades. Not a big deal.

15. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep for 3800.00 or whatever it sells for you can go hello CQ hello CQ hello CQ you are 59 what is your call??again you are 59 what is you call again