ad: Radclub22-1

RSGB Online Examinations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

The online exam takes place at a centre no different to doing it on paper, and you get the result straight away once the alotted exam time has finished, this was how I did my full exam, cant see it being any different for the Foundation or Intermediate levels practicals completed as part of the course with the exam at the end either on paper or online canditates choice.
    Kevin

2. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

The trouble is, this is only one perspective.

My local club realised, having entered my daughter for the exam that, for a younger candidate, also a female, it's very intimidating indeed, no matter how friendly the club, to sit there with retired men, taking part in what may well be their first formal experience of an examination.

We keep saying we want new, young and different people in radio. But to what extent are we really looking at it from other people's perspective?

M0ORH likes this.
  3. N8SAC

N8SAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a ARRL VE And i dont see how you can follow the rules and do it on line.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

One possible way is described in the third message of this thread.

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why shouldn't the FCC have something simalar, but HAVE IT A "OPEN-BOOK" TEST? :) Really "WHY NOT"? If anybody hasn't NOTICED that "HAM RADIO SELLERS" sell to (ANYBODY) in person or "ON-LINE" WITHOUT ANY PROOF OF BEING LICENSED!!! So any "Tom, Dick, or Harry" can (HAVE GET ON THE AIR) making up a CALLSIGN AS WELL!!!

M0ORH likes this.
  6. KM6POA

KM6POA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to let you all know..... I was ready to take the exam just before Thanksgiving. I contacted the local HAM club to see when the next exam date was. They had no date planned. They said it is tough getting three people to give the exam???? They have bi-weekly breakfast meetings but can't seem to help out a potential new HAM??? The closest exam site, other than the local, is a three hr drive, one way. They have now set up a date in January, if weather permits. So it turns out I will have to wait a minimum of eight weeks to take the exam, or drive 6 hrs. Not a good way to start my HAM experience.

NN6EE likes this.
  7. NN6EE

So much for 3 hams who are VEs to NOT HELP a "PROSPECTIVE HAM" !!! Kinda makes one NOT want to JOIN A CLUB LIKE THAT !!! INCREDIBLE !!!
    BUT, WALTERAB, once you get your ticket ALL OF US WILL WELCOME YOU "WITH OPEN-ARMS" into the BEST hobby on earth !!!
    M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S !!!

KM6POA likes this.
  8. KM6POA

Thank you NN6EE. I take my test tomorrow , 1/6/18. I am excited to get this part over with so I can start to study for my general license. At 70 yrs of age I feel I need to keep my brain moving and it seems like the HAM experience is doing the trick. Looking forward to meeting some good folk real soon. Thanks again.

9. NN6EE

******************************************************************************************************************************
    RIGHT ON WALT!!!

I got into the GAME @ age 15 (1962) as a NOVICE and crawled up the incentive licensing ladder like ALMOST ALL THE OTHER GUYS OUT HERE DID, and believe me YOU'LL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED !!! I'm also 70 YEARS "OLD" BUT THE HOBBY HAS KEPT ALL OF US YOUNG !!!

10. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be the wave of the future but the stiff requirements may hold it back from full implementation. Great for those who are not in close proximity to
    a club testing facility. New ideas = progress.

11. KM6POA

I passed the first test and now am ready to start studying for the general exam. The technicians test was very easy, 35 for 35, but I doubt the general will be the same. Learning is fun so I am having a blast. Thanks for all the support.

12. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on passing your exam. If you need to change your QRZ name to your call, just ask for an admin. They're very helpful and will be glad to do this. I had to when I became an Extra. Welcome to Amateur Radio.

13. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I think online testing is long overdue and it is a great idea. I'm just wondering if you can take it online if you're not in Great Britain? It would be a step in the right direction for clubs that cannot get enough VE's to give exams.