ad: Schulman-1

Day 1 with the ICOM IC-7610

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Dec 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A thing of beauty, thanks for the video.

2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I felt it was unscripted and I was impressed with the speed at which you were talking. A few urm’s Etc... can be forgiven. It was a great video

N9FM and K2HAT like this.
  3. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an email yesterday telling me the tracking number on my 7610. Its going to be here Friday ! I cant wait. Your video was pretty nice but I want to play with one :).
    Dave N8DC

4. AE2S

AE2S QRZ Lifetime Member #101 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a question for Fred..... Since you have had both the IC-7610 and the Flex 6500...... Which do you prefer?

5. W3RJW

W3RJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This might help ..

Ron, W3RJW

W1YW likes this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Well, I wish I could have them both. The Flex 6500 is a true SDR. The IC-7610, more of a hybrid. I love the tactile feel of the 7610 but truth be told, it doesn't seem to have the data or graphics resolution and/or raw processor speed of the 6500. I would characterize the 6500 as more of a piece of laboratory test equipment than a consumer appliance.

Not having the figures in front of me, I really cannot compare them in terms of data bits of resolution, but I sense that the 6500 has more going for it. It's also made and documented in the USA which overall, makes it seem more familiar. I realize that this is highly subjective, so I'll leave it at that. Bear in mind that I'm a computer guy and the 6500 is a computer peripheral. I love using it however I will say that having a computer as your primary interface makes for a messy shack, and it doesn't "feel" right. I haven't tried the Maestro display, which would probably be a better comparison to the Icom. The IC-7610 can be hooked to a computer, but we haven't seen what it can do yet. Time will tell.

-fred

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

For those who may be interested, this is a picture of the display connected to an old 19-inch computer monitor via DVI.

upload_2017-12-6_10-1-37.png

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. AE2S

AE2S QRZ Lifetime Member #101 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you Fred.... I was looking for a purely subjective response.

I have the 6500 and I liked it so much I bought the 6700 also.

I will wait a while before I think about the 7610.

K9ASE likes this.
  9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll keep my ICOM 7600.I don't see anything worthy of the change & touching any radio screen so my radio will function still is NOT happening for me at any price.I would not trade my almost 2 year old ICOM 7600 even for one.Those who want them buy them & do what you want with them.Touch screens don't do anything for me & NO I don't have that on my cell phone since I have never had one of those either.Bells & whistles are just something else that can fail & they will & it won't be a cheap fix.

Clayton
    W4KVW

10. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SMART MAN !!! As I'm sure you've seen "SLIME-BALLS" on news flixs where great HONEST AMERICANS are running up to home-owners porches and SWIPING THEIR GOODS !!!

11. ZL1UMY

ZL1UMY Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool !

12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Um, so the 7600 doesn't use touch screen, or doesn't have to?

I confess to also having a preference for a traditional "tactile" knob and switch approach for radios, though I'm planning to run my FT-817nd at home almost exclusively with HRD given the display size and nested menus - compromise to get such a small radio for portable work that I can use at home too. But I have no issues with the touch screens on my iPhone, my iPad, or my work Android. Or rather, I can't think of any other way it could be designed that would work as well and keep the display size without making the devices much larger which would be bad.

And I would never, ever, give up having a smart phone. I'd give up ham radio first. To each their own.

W4KVW likes this.
  13. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't worry about it either. I work nights and sleep days and am ALWAYS home in the day, and I too have a dog that raises mortal hell when anyone comes into the yard. And he's half pit bull (super sweet dog actually, but sure SOUNDS like he's hungry and they're lunch when someone comes in the yard, until he sees they're ok by me) AND the whole neighborhood has seen me walking him while open carrying a 9mm or .38 back when a rescued fighting dog kept getting out of its fence and attacking neighborhood dogs (open carry is legal in GA with carry license - I don't open carry "out" in public but for walking my dog down the street I have many times) and of course they see my biker buddies come over to go riding with me, many of whom look way more...dubious than I do so... the good neighbors, which are all the ones really close to my house, know me, and the rest think I'm a little or a lot unhinged. Sometimes that kind of rep is useful. :D

I did change to pepper spray because it wasn't that poor dog's fault :( . She had no human aggression at all but had been taught by some scumbag to attack other dogs, but that's an entirely different story. Thankfully a neighborhood search turned up the owner, and he either rehomed the dog or fixed his fence. Haven't seen it in two years now.

14. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

NOPE,no touch screen for any functions on the ICOM 7600.It uses real buttons & knobs just like I like them.Touch screens & a radio in a box with no knobs,buttons or a color screen with a band scope all in one box (SDR) is of ZERO interest to me.I don't see the attraction to such things but somebody must think it's cool or something just Not me?

Clayton
    W4KVW

W4HM likes this.
  15. W4JF

W4JF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me neither. Icom milked the 7300 for as long as they could. I am seeing more and more of them in the used market. Tiny box, too tiny for most. Rigs like the new 7610 appeal more to diddlers and appliance operators imo. Will be interesting to see what is next from Kenwood. Flex figured out the knob thing, and the knob thing ain't going away any time soon. 73, Joe W4JF