ad: Retevis-1

PowerFilm F15-1200 Portable Solar Power for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Oct 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well we shall see how it performs @ -30C in a couple of months. I've had this panel out the past week at -3C overnight. It didn't become brittle, but that's also not much of a temperature test. Considering they're made in Iowa, which has very similar weather in winter to KP25, I would be surprised if they hadn't thought about that already.
    Anyway it's a legitimate concern, and I'll report back as the bitter cold arrives at 65°N.

Julian

2. OH8STN

Thanks Jesse
    Julian

3. OH8STN

Intrigued by your comment I started searching the interweb for any deployment of Power film in the Arctic or Antarctic. I did find this. 30w PowerFilm panel used to power instruments on the ice sheets of Greenland read full article here.
    Julian

4. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, no disrespect to Powerfilm's products. I was just sharing my experience with the R21. It is possible the newer version are more robust. These thin film panels are very fragile in my opinion, but the obvious portability benefit.

Earl

OH8STN likes this.
  5. OH8STN

Didn't take it as disrespect ☺
    In fact I'm happy you mentioned it so I can look out for it in these extreme temperatures we have here.
    Julian

6. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking at the Powerfilm also. My setup is for a teardrop camper with a Norcold fridge, led lights, and fan. The rig will be the Flex 1500 with a laptop top and speakers. Getting ready to buy a Duracell AGM group 24 battery with 79 Amp hours...

What is the amp hour on your battery?
    How does your panel perform in shaded or overcast skies?

My goal is to be able to top off the battery during the daytime. I am thinking the 120 to 160 watts might do it.

7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I once described us as "nut jobs" but I like "fanatic" better. Well said.

Al

8. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

JULIAN,

TNX FOR YOUR EFFORTS, YES want to SEE YOUR VIDEO ON DYI FLEX CELL -FOLDUP PANEL ! 73s W5HEH AJ

9. M6ECG

M6ECG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Julian!

...SUPRISE!!! I'm back! Awesome review! I was looking at that PowerFilm and now I think I might have to save up and get some after seeing your vid!

I just dusted off the radio this week and I'm testing everything still works! Hi Hi! Are you doing the RaDAR Challenge on Saturday? I think I might! Woohoo! Catch up soon! 73, Lucy

10. KB3QEM

KB3QEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian
    Great setup! I have a similar setup on my QRZ page. I have both a high power kit and a low power kit.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather than a PowerFilm panel, you might consider purchasing an actual military issue solar panel instead.

Unlike commercially manufactured folding solar panels, the militarized panels are extremely rugged and contain a special protective coating membrane (ETFE) which is not found in any other folding solar panels on the market.

It's mil-spec in every way. The operating temperature range is -40 below to 176 degrees and there's even videos on you tube showing the military driving over it with a tank and even shooting bullets through it, and it still keeps on going ! :)

My portable setup here:

IMAG0691.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

These military issue solar panels are 100% the real deal.

[​IMG]

I think 42 watts of military issue CIGS solar panel for $175 is the bargain of the century as far as i'm concerned. So if you're seriously considering purchasing a new folding solar panel in 2018, you can get one of them right here at this link:

Ebay Link

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  12. OH8STN

It's always nice to have options.
    The PowerFilm panels don't require sun soaking time like the CIGS panels. The CIGS solar panel, unless it's actively used, will output about 50% of its rated capacity out of the box. It will take 2 days of sun soaking to come to full power.
    They are awesome, and they are rugged, but I understand the cycle starts again if you put the solar panel back in storage.
    Other than the sun soaking requirement, I think these are absolutely magnificent panels.
    Thanks for the link, I think I'm going to buy one to compare.

Julian oh8stn

13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try one out Julian! :)

It's a whole lot of military grade solar panel for the right price and i'm completely satisfied with the fantastic charging performance of mine. :)

IMAG0686.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    OH8STN likes this.
  14. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the eBay seller:
    "Please note that our in-house testing has shown the panels output about 50% of its rated capacity out of the box. Even after sun-soaking the CIGS cells for a few days did not improve their performance."

Since these weigh about twice as much as a similarly rated PowerFilm panel, to get the same actual performance, it will be about four times the weight and surface area.