ad: TinyPaddle-1

Nearfest Oct 2017

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by N1OOQ, Oct 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I went. Picked up some odds and ends. A signal generator, an ugly Bearcat 250 scanner, some small parts, some stealthy antenna rope.

I haven't been to Nearfest/Deerfield/Hosstraders/Rochester in years. It seemed rather sparsely attended compared to back then.

K2HAT likes this.
  2. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was there with a big white 10X20 Shelterlogic walled tent and 4 tables of goodies to sell just myself and there were 5-6 other tables from other W1BST club members.

I conversed with Burt K1OIK and had the pleasure of meeting Lee K2HAT for the 1st time while there.

Attendance is down compared to the 4000+ "Hosstraders" attendees of the 80s and 90s but this fall was actually a record for NEARFEST, if I heard right from Mr. Mike during the closing ceremonies.

The attendance seem very good to me, all things considered, especially compared to the rainfest in the spring.

The lower area that is often thought as the overflow was full of stuff for sale.

Observations from my point of view were pretty bright towards the entire event and I'm looking forward to the one in the spring!

K2HAT likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I was there and had a decent time, was very glad there were 2 food vendors in attendance.

My First visit ever there. :)

4. KC1IIE

KC1IIE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was there and got my Technician licence, slept in a hammock, and had a really great time. I'm looking forward to the spring meet.

K2HAT and N1VAU like this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job!

KC1IIE likes this.
  6. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks all for the nice comments. The “Management Team”and I do our best to host the finest and also largest hamfest in the Northeast.

However if you haven't been to one of the above-mentioned events “in years” you are certainly going to notice some changes......like attendance. It is way down from what it was back in the Hosstraders years. We are doing very well indeed if we hit 1,800.

At its’ peak at Rochester NH in the mid Nineties they did over 5,000. We are not likely ever to see even half that number. But it doesn't really matter. As long as we are able to get 1,000 souls gathered at Deerfield each time we can pay the bills and keep going.

And that is exactly what we are trying to do.

The Hosstraders, Norm, Bob and Joe, had an incredible 34 year run. They managed to raise over 1.3 million dollars for the Shriners hospitals in Boston, Springfield, Montreal and the Boston Burns Unit. They rode the wave to the crest and wanted to quit while they were ahead. It was our feeling that we disn’t Want it to go away entirely so I took it back to Deerfield NH and that is where we will be for the long run. It is home.

We need your support to keep it going. Attend and bring stuff to sell or come and buy someone elses’ stuff. Keep it circulating! We need the attendance.

Next one is No. XXIII on May 4th and 5th 2018.

KF5KWO and N1VAU like this.
  7. N1LPJ

N1LPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this hamfest. I have missed it for a few years due to health problems but, they say I am cured an will live another 30 years or so.
    I will be there in the spring of 2018 an hope to connect with some ole friends...

KF5KWO likes this.