ad: Halibut-1

Friendly Reminder - BAND PLANS, folks

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K0OKS, Oct 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got no dog in this fight, but I don't see SSTV specifically called out on the ARRL band plan. I don't see FT8 or JT65 either. I suspect they fall under "digital", but I don't know for sure. Only a fraction of US Amateurs belong to the ARRL, and many non-members have a disdain for the organization for whatever reason. It is reasonable to assume that some of them would intentionally ignore an unenforceable band plan just because it was published by the ARRL. When I operate CW at the top end of 40m, Phone operators from other countries frequently "interfere". They don't care about the ARRL band plan. Neither do the International broadcast stations that fire up every night in the phone portion of 40m.

I have always had this chart hanging on the wall at my operating position. After 25 years on the air, for the life of me I wouldn't be able to tell you what the "SSTV Frequency" is. I use my ears and listen to see if the frequency is clear. Would it surprise you to know that W5YI has their OWN band plan? It is similar, but it contains DX windows, which most amateurs would argue do not exist: http://www.w5yi.org/downloads/FreqChart.pdf . It does not specifcally call out SSTV either.

So I as a casual operator would have no idea where your SSTV frequency is, and if it is clear, I could possibly be on it when you decide to fire up and call CQ. So instead of finding an empty frequency or politely calling me, would you just start transmitting because you feel it's the SSTV frequency? How is that any different than the guys on 80 meters telling people "Get off my frequency". Anyway, you got me fired up by saying SSTV frequencies are indicated on "the most popular band plan", which they are not. A band plan is a guide line. We should have the common sense to find a clear frequency before transmitting. QRL, QRL??

[​IMG]

W7UUU and K2HAT like this.
  2. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely agree. It is a suggestions of what frequencies to use FIRST. Once the others are full you would naturally end up shifting to an open part of the band. Just like you drive slowly in the left lane of a highway when there is traffic.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

See, it only took us seven pages to reach some common ground. :cool:

Some other threads on the 'Z are on 70+ pages and still getting nowhere. ;)

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, Pat. Same thing has happened to me on Field Day when I strayed five KHz away from the "Noontime Net" on 7268 KHz.

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I ask this question in a serious manner. Isn't 5 kHz separation enough assuming your station is operating within specifications and your next door neighbor isn't Net Control?

My radio has some features that are meant to be used when there is another station close to the one I want to hear, and most of the time with some adjustment I am able to do just that, even if the adjacent station is closer than 5 kHz away.

6. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

If all stations are operating with good practice then you can usually be 3KHz from the neighboring stations with little problems.

The problems arise from a few things:

Overdriven audio (possibly from too much compression) causing splatter
    Improper amplifier loading causing splatter
    Operators trying to sound like broadcast stations using transmit filters wider than 2.8-3.0 KHz
    Poor equipment that simply cannot produce a clean signal
    Excellent band conditions exacerbate the issue, allowing you to hear things that would normally be lost.

When I am in close quarters with other stations I will reduce my transmit bandwidth to 2.4-2.6KHz and use as little power as possible as a courtesy to those around me. Sadly, many people do not do this.

I prefer 6KHz separation over 5KHz so that, if the band gets really full somebody can go in between, assuming everyone behaves well. All of this assumes SSB of course. AM is a different thing.

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly!

Some of those folks must have radios unlike any other. Especially when a station like mine on the day in reference. I was using a Kenwood TS-120 at 100 watts into a wire up about 50 feet.

But no kidding, someone came down to my frequency five kilohertz down to complain!

I have a neightbor five houses down. He does not bother my receive at all. I have to wonder what kind of radios some of these folks have!