ad: Radclub22-1

Friendly Reminder - BAND PLANS, folks

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K0OKS, Oct 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, there is often substantial disagreement on what "the right thing" actually is. :oops:

2. KK5JY

So you can agree that the band plan has no regulatory force, and therefore no way to give frequencies special status, but then you use the band plan to assert that certain frequencies have special status?

I can see why you are confused. :rolleyes: And for what it's worth, it's a common confusion in the forums.

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no confusion whatsoever. I stated that the bandplan is not legally regulatory. I think the cofusion is naively thinking that the bandplan is useless and does not apply to you or anyone else.

It is there to help us all work together. If you believe it is useless because it doesn't come from the guvment then there is nothing I can do. Personally, I prefer when groups can make agreements to work together *without* guvment meddling.

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

...think I'll just go sit below 7.125 and wait for the Canadians to interfere, If I can hear them through the foreign broadcast stations.

I'll be a little more concerned when my voice is much larger than my ears. As it is now I hear far better than I send. Add 15db and that all changes. My urban noise will prevent my hearing what my voice can reach.

I'm going to repeat that , My urban noise will prevent my hearing what my voice can reach. This is the cause of a significant portion of unintentional interference.

I personally have more issues with QRO stations within ground wave ( more or less nearly line of sight) rag chewing at the expense of 4KHz + ESSB , unable to hear past their high noise floor. These stations call you light, ask for your call over and over (each station asks for the call over and over), tell you to buy a signal, ask questions and talk over the answer. I note the callsigns, time and frequency and don't go back.

The following is an example of OUR failure to educate and inform. We may teach electrons, safety, band edges and how not to be a complete dolt on first transmission, but little else. Sure a General gets a bit more technical and a Extra even more but on the air experience is the difference. I have to relate the following .

So I hear the end of a QSO and sign ...
    ...sign again...
    ...hearing nothing CQ 80m <sign> , any station anywhere, CQ ...

response

"You know you have to be an EXTRA (their emphasis) to be here ..."

Yes I'm aware I have to be an extra to be here (????)

crickets

...hearing nothing CQ 80m <sign> , any station anywhere, CQ ...

response

"You know you have to be an EXTRA (their emphasis) to be here ..."

Yes I'm aware I have to be an extra to be here. (epiphany) Are you ?

response

"No"

...and so it goes

5. K0OKS

AF7XT: So people keep telling you you have to be an Extra to operate there, even though you are in fact an Extra?

I agree that a lot of QRM is caused by stations that cannot hear each other, but in-between stations can hear both. It is definitely not all intentional. In fact, I thought most is not intentional at all.

6. KK5JY

It doesn't. It's a plan, written by people with a specific set of goals in mind. Whether that actually works or not is very subjective.

On top of that, there are plenty of band plans to choose from, and anybody can write a band plan. That's another reason why they are meaningless.

If you want other people to work around your QSOs, you are going to have to be willing to work around theirs. Stubbornly insisting that you can only use one frequency isn't the way.

7. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just this one. I did strike up a email dialog that was at least as confusing as the non QSO. Note: he was a General at the time. I do not know if he has upgraded since.

I doubt that most of the QRM is intentional. I only run into a very few that must be aware but don't care. Since I spend a fair amount of time in the Advanced and Extra slices I don't hear a whole lot of intentional QRM . I do hear a few unintended doubles and a rare overlap.
    My post was more intended to point out that most interference is unintentional but also preventable if only a very little common sense is applied. If you are hearing each other 40 over maybe you don't need the space heater. If most SSB filters are 2.8 KHz +/- what is the point of ESSB (voodoo/zombie audio). If you know that there are no bandpass filters on the end of your diode leak bias, handful of 2SC2879's why would not assume that the IMD and Harmonics would be off the chart?

@K0OKS At best I'm a casual operator and ceaseless experimenter. I don't contest. That I don't make use of the CW portions of my privileges I take as a challenge. That I'm not that interested in digital modes I can live with. Still I examine my own operating for possibilities of unintentional interference. After all its the only station I can control ;-)

8. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Why was someone running SSTV on 14.234 today? You SSTV guys have to stick to your area. You created QRM for a weak signal DX I was trying do dig out. So, live with it just like we do.

WG7X likes this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the next time, try saying "Yes, I'm aware I have to be an AMATEUR extra to be here" (emphasis yours).

Wanna bet that the Kilocycle cops won't "get it"?

AF7XT and K0OKS like this.
  10. K0OKS

I am going to guess some SSB user was on 14.230 :)

Of course we all have to live with it when it happens. Following the bandplan will reduce those occurrences.

11. K0OKS

Nobody is stubborn or insistent here. I shall continue to abide by the most popular bandplan handed out to pretty much every US amateur by the ARRL. You may continue to ignore it if you'd like. Pretending the most popular bandplan which has had SSTV frequencies on it for decades doesn't exist won't change its existence. Carry on, then.

12. KK5JY

Since when? Most popular? Every ham? Feeling factually challenged today? I guess tomorrow is Friday...

And this kind of presumptuousness is why you are having a problem in the first place.

13. K0OKS

Please point out another bandplan that more than a handfull of people in the US are using. The bandplan is being handed out to most new Amateurs, at least here in St. Louis.

The Radio Society of Great Britain bandplan has the same frequencies for SSTV, for decades. It is used by nearly all of ITU 1.

I have no problem in the first place. The thread was to remind people who DO pay attention to the ARRL bandplan, and who do NOT believe that the only rules that count are those that come from the gubment, to keep an eye out for those frequencies.

If you do not ignore the bandplan then why do you repeatedly advocate doing so by saying the bandplan is useless and to be ignored? Self-contradiction something fun, or do you actually follow the bandplan?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. KK5JY

I would love to see the numbers on that...
    I'm not. You're completely misreading what I am saying. I'm not telling anybody to clobber your QSOs. I'm not clobbering your QSOs. I'm not saying that it's OK for people to clobber your QSOs. If you have a QSO going on a frequency, and somebody fires up next to you and overlaps your existing QSO, that's bad behavior on their part, and I'm not endorsing that. For that matter, I'm not even trying to clobber your post, but for some reason we have our terminology crossed or something... :oops:

QRM = bad. You and I agree on that. I also liked several other things you listed on your profile page, but that's not helpful here. :cool:

For the 10th time, all I'm saying is that no frequencies are exclusive. Not to users, and not to modes (with the exception of some FCC-mandated CW-only slivers). And asking people to treat them as such is inappropriate. Asking people not to clobber you with splatter is appropriate, and that appeared to be part of your OP. But there's a difference between "don't clobber my QSOs" and "keep this channel clear if you aren't doing SSTV." If I read correctly, you are advocating the latter, and that's just not OK.

N2EY likes this.
  15. K0OKS

Evading the question? The burden of proof is on you. You have repeatedly said bandplans are a dime a dozen. I call your bluff and now you expect me to do your homework? Googling for bandplans finds the ARRL bandplan and the Radio Society of Great Britain's bandplan. Both indicate the same frequencies are to be used for SSTV. None of these dime a dozen alternate bandplans are listed on the first few pages (because Google, like me, believe nobody uses them). Everything I found just re-listed the ARRL bandplan, and attributed it as such.

Yes, we have repeatedly agreed on this.

Likewise, but not really part of this. Though Loop on Ground looks pretty cool... and, wow! lots of great info on your website.

For the 10th time we have agreed on this over and over. No need to repeat it.

The bandplans in the US and Great Britain are advocating just that. The bandplans are asking people to avoid those frequencies except for SSTV. Calling out those frequencies is not some chance occurrence. They are saying that if you want to operate SSTV you should do it on those frequencies, which also implies that if you want to operate SSB you should avoid those frequencies. It's not saying you CAN'T use those frequencies. It is saying a considerate operator should *avoid* using them. A rude operator would say "Nobody has a right to a frequency and I am going to operate SSB here because I *can*." A gentleman would say, "Gee, if I were operating SSTV I sure would want to keep it on the normal frequency so maybe I will call CQ on 14.234 rather than 14.229." That is all; it's simple civility. Be considerate of other users, but feel free to use the frequency should you need to (because the rest of the band is full or QRMed, or whatever).

This is NOT the same as saying this frequency is for the *exclusive* use of SSTV. The widely accepted bandplans are saying that other users should *avoid* that frequency *if possible* in order to facilitate SSTV remaining in a predictable location. I don't think anyone wants SSTV spread around the phone band, as it is really annoying QRM if you are not participating.

Are you advocating operating on 14.230 (for example) willy-nilly just because you can? Or would you encourage people try to keep your QSOs in a different part of the band (again, if possible)? It's really a lot like my earlier example of driving 45 in the left lane of a multi-lane highway. You *can* do it, but it is rude, and everyone knows it's rude.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017