ad: Alphaant-1

The SharkRF OpenSPOT "New review"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the long version video of the QST review video (October 2017 edition). This video was publish with a reprinted permission, [October 2017] QST; copyright ARRL.

73 Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

N9FM, HH2MJF, M0HYE and 7 others like this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascal congratulations on being published in QST. I read the review and I appreciated how you put the facts of operation together with real world operation. Another winner. 73, Sid K3SX

M0HYE, KC2UGV, VA2PV and 2 others like this.
  3. WD5GBS

WD5GBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good review Pascal! I like what the OpenSPOT offers but I'm holding out to see if they come out with the built in wifi capability. I would use it primarily in a portable/mobile configuration and would want to tether it to my cell phone or hotspot without having to add a wireless router

KN4EQG, WQ8M, KN4LR and 4 others like this.
  4. KD2KOG

KD2KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done my friend. Really enjoyed the article now on to the video :)

WQ8M, VA2PV and WD0FIA like this.
  5. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well done.
    I don't know anything about these or why I would want one though.

KK5R, AD4ZU and VA2PV like this.
  6. K3TEF

K3TEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nicely done! thx!

WQ8M and VA2PV like this.
  7. VA2PV

Thank you, Sidney. I started the collaboration with the QST last year (see December 2016) with the DV4mini review. I also did the Tekk D-500 HT (DMR+FM) and the Kenwood TH-D74. If you visit my personal website, you will find the PDF article for all of them in the publication page. 73 Pascal VA2PV

8. VA2PV

Hi Dennis, I understand as I did receive a few emails with questions regarding the unit. In a previous article (the DV4mini review) I did explained in the introduction the purposed of a digital hotspot. Maybe I should have used is again. You can find the complete article on my personal website in the publication page. Below you will find part the introduction text of this review. Hope this help.

"More and more modulation protocols from different vendors are now available for the ham community, including D-STAR, DMR, and C4FM (Yaesu’s System Fusion). In the ham digital world, a reflector is a server connected to the Internet that acts as a virtual repeater. Digital hotspots provide the ability for amateurs to connect to those Internet reflectors from their digital transceivers. Hotspots contain a low-power transmitter and receiver for amateur frequencies, and plug into a computer connected to the Internet. "

You can have repeaters, stations and hotspots connected to the same reflector via the Internet or Hamnet (private Internet for hams). Let say you're in Florida and you have an OpenSPOT, you can connect to reflectors around the world and be broadcast on repeaters network as you were local. Please note that you need a different radio on each mode, except for cross mode in DMR and C4FM demonstrated in this video.

73 Pascal VA2PV

W1PPP, KK6UAA and W5BT like this.
  9. VA2PV

Thank you Mike, I didn't forget about our Skype session. ;-) I just have a pile up of projects ahead, hihi. 73 Pascal VA2PV

10. VA2PV

Hi Thomas, thanks for your comments. The OpenSPOT with a Wi-Fi interface would be great will see over time but probably this will have an impact on the power consumption and CPU performance. Will see, in the meanwhile I use the TP-LINK, TL-WR902AC as an Ethernet bridge to Wi-Fi. 73 Pascal VA2PV

11. K3SSB

K3SSB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your comprehensive review. It answered a number of questions. I recently started to look at the available "HotSpots" and have concluded that the SharkRF OpenSPOT is probably the way to go. I'm still gathering information from local Hams... on the various aspects of user preference regarding equipment and connectivity. I'm currently a "Fusion" user and can certainly see the expanded possibilities.

VA2PV likes this.
  12. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pascal. I must admit to being an old timer with not too much interest in newer modes and equipment BUT having watched your videos here and then seeing you published in QST I immediately read your review there and when it came up here I had to watch it. I am using two K3 xcvrs that I am still improving over time so there may be hope for me yet. It is interesting to see your growth in the hobby. I enjoy your curiosity and excitement as you open and discover each new topic and piece of equipment. Keep up the great and entertaining work! 73, Sid K3SX

VA2PV likes this.
  13. KD2KOG

KD2KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

No worries. Swamped with SDRplay at the moment. When I come back from the UK ham fest we will get the skype round table going :)

VA2PV likes this.
  14. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else totally hate watching a video of someone drone on when I could have read the text story in a minute?

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS IS "REALLY NEAT STUFF"!!! I'll admit that in the world of "DIGITAL COMM" I'M A RANK NOVICE, EVEN AFTER 55YR OF AMATEUR RADIO COMM I find this "NEW STUFF" (DMR) really, really COOL!!! And as long as I've been a HAM it's NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN MORE!!!

VA2PV likes this.