ad: Radclub22-1

John J Vickers W7JJV Silent Key - goodbye old friend

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W7UUU, Sep 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's with sadness that I report my dear friend John J Vickers W7JJV (formerly KD7QCI) passed away in his sleep last night, after a long period of illness. He was studying for his General, and put up a Hexbeam just last Spring in hopes of getting his General and getting on 20m SSB. He never made it that far.

But just last Saturday (a week from tomorrow) I spent time with him in his hospice in Port Orchard, WA and helped him to understand DSP filters, roofing filters, bandpass filters, etc. - he was so engaged, with so many questions and hope in his eyes and his voice that he'd go back home one day soon and put that beam on the air.

It was never to be. He went to sleep just after supper, in his wheelchair last evening, and never woke up. He was 72 years old.

Thanks, John, for the gift of the embossed ARRL Hardbound Handbook you gave me in 2014 for the Centennial.

Rest in peace old Friend - Captain John. I just know you're in a better place.

Thanks for all the friendship buddy. You'll be missed.

Dave
    W7UUU

Book2-001.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

N6QIC, N7ANN, K2DFC and 1 other person like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:(

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

:(

4. W1HBO

W1HBO Ham Member QRZ Page

You're a good friend, Dave. Sounds like you really gave him the gift of hope, just wasn't meant to be.

My condolences.

Howard

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

My Friend John, who just loved our doggie Molly - John and his wife Sue would often dog-sit Molly while Anne and I were away on business trips, and he really loved Molly and she him.

This photo was about 2 weeks ago.

Molly says "I love you Captain John" (He used to pilot a 40 foot 1940s deluxe cabin cruiser in the Puget Sound)

Again, RIP my friend.

Dave
    W7UUU

IMG_1867.JPG

N7ANN, KA9JLM and N6QIC like this.
  6. W9FIZ

W9FIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, there is no greater gift a person can have than that of true friendship. A good friend is more precious than gold itself. I too recently lost a good friend, Terry Maskell N9UCX, I helped Elmer him into the hobby a number of years ago. Like your friend John, he was a credit to the hobby. I feel your pain and express my sincere heart felt condolences for your loss.

W7UUU and N7ANN like this.
  7. W7UUU

Today was John's memorial at one of his favorite places - the Spar Tavern in Old Town Tacoma. Quite a crowd was there to send him off. We kept it happy and light and lots of funny stories of ol' Johnny - he will indeed be missed. The Spar is where I first met John, invited by my sister-in-law Sue who had just met up with him and they became the love of each other's lives. He had on his captain's hat (long-time seaman and owned a 40' boat for a number of years). 2001 or so - my how time flies!!

I just wish he'd gotten that Hex Beam on the air - just went up last spring and took it down this morning (HUGE thanks to Mike and Adam, and my other Bro-in-law Jim). He was hoping to "up" to General soon - and put his IC-746PRO on the Ether. Sigh - it wasn't to be. The radio never had a single QSO in the short time he owned it.

Rest in peace old friend - I'll bet you still lurk this forum from wherever you are :)

Not a sad tear today - just laughs and love and memories and stories - you'd have had a great time for sure!! I'll miss you, you old cuss.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, W5BIB and N6QIC like this.